Transcribed from History of Wyandotte County Kansas and its people ed. and comp. by Perl W. Morgan. Chicago, The Lewis publishing company, 1911. 2 v. front., illus., plates, ports., fold. map. 28 cm. [Vol. 2 contains biographical data. Paged continuously.] p. 785-786 transcribed by Derick Lewis, student from USD 508, Baxter Springs Middle School, Baxter Springs, Kansas, on March 12, 2001.


Minerva Henry

Minerva Watson

MRS. MINERVA HENRY. - Owning and occupying one of the most beautiful rural estates of Wyandotte county, Mrs. Minerva Henry, living near Bonner Springs, in Delaware township, is actively and profitably engaged in the raising of fruit, chickens and hogs, and also in dairying, in each branch of agriculture meeting with success. She was born on a farm in Illinois, near Danville, and there was bred and educated.

Her father, a Mr. Watson, was for many years engaged in agricultural pursuits in Vermilion county, Illinois, and on retiring from farming moved with his family into the city of Danville, where he was engagged in business for many years. He is now living with his daughter, Mrs. Henry, in Bonner Springs. His wife, died in 1890, leaving seven children, as follows: William, Martin H., John R., George, Thomas, Nicholas and Minerva, now Mrs. Henry. Mr. Watson is a Democrat in politics, and he and his family are members of the Methodist church.

Minerva Watson Henry was but thirteen years old when her parents located in Danville, Illinois, where she completed her early education. In 1860 she was united in marriage with Ira M. Henry, who was born in Bismark, Vermilion county, Illinois, and died on their home farm, July 2, 1895. Five children were born of the union of Mr. and Mrs. Henry, namely: Martin T., the first born, now living in Danville, Illinois, married Nellie Craft; Charles W., of Kansas City, Missouri, married Minnie Elliott; Ira Earl, of Danville, Illinois; Eldon B., a student at Washington University, in St. Louis; and Eldo Carl, living with his mother on the farm, and assisting her in its management.

In 1905 Mrs. Henry moved with her family to Kansas City, Missouri, and lived there about five years. In 1910, owing partly to ill health, she had a great desire to get back upon a farm, and once more live in the open, and had the good fortune to be able to buy the beautiful farm of one hundred and sixty acres, which was located in Delaware township, near Bonner Springs, and was then owned by Jacob Longfellow. A woman of good business ability, with a thorough liking for farming, Mrs. Henry is superintending the management of her estate with good success, in the raising of fruits, poultry, hogs, and in dairying finding health, pleasure and profit. She finds a ready market for the products of her dairy in Kansas City, Missouri, where there is also a demand for her eggs and chickens.



Biographical Index

Background and KSGenWeb logo were designed and are copyrighted by
Tom & Carolyn Ward
for the limited use of the KSGenWeb Project.
Permission is granted for use only on an official KSGenWeb page.

©2001 by Tom & Carolyn Ward


Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project