THE FIRST INFANTRY REGIMENT - AT THE BATTLE OF WILSON'S CREEK - A FAMOUS CAVALRY REGIMENT - THE FIFTH KANSAS CAVALRY - THE EIGHTH INFANTRY - NINTH KANSAS VOLUNTEER CAVALRY - A CONSOLIDATION OF KANSAS REGIMENTS - YOUNG TOM EWING'S REGIMENT - THE TWELFTH INFANTRY - FOURTEENTH INFANTRY - ONE HUNDRED DAY MEN - THE NEGRO REGIMENTS - THE THIRD BATTERY - THE RECORD OF KANSAS.
Kansas as a state was not three months old when Fort Sumter was fired upon. In the seven years of territorial existence the conflict between the Free State forces and the adherents of the slave power had been waging. Kansas had been won for freedom, but the end was not yet. The conflict on Kansas soil was only the prelude to the mighty military conflict in which for four years the fate of the republic was in abeyance, the United States government and the states adhering to it on the one side and the Confederate States government on the other. Kansas, infant state that it was, entered the renewed contest as with the strength of years. The military organizations that existed in the preceding years for the protection of the people during the turbulent times had been broken up. There was no state militia, no arms or supplies. Yet, with no bounties offered, no hope of reward other than that which comes to the citizen through the discharge of patriotic service, the Kansans rallied to the support of the Union and fought with unswerving fidelity and a bravery that is not excelled in the annals of war. The first call of the president for 75,000 volunteers, issued April 15, 1861, was answered by 650 Kansas men. Then in April the state legislature took steps for the organization of the militia and, under the administration of Governor Charles Robinson, an army of 180 companies was formed in two divisions, four brigades and eleven regiments. Under the second call, issued in May for 400,000 volunteers, the First and Second Regiments of Volunteer Infantry were recruited for the service. At each succeeding demand Kansas responded with regiments of volunteers. The quota assigned to the entire state was 16,654 men, yet Kansas did even better than that. It gave to the Union 20,097 volunteer soldiers.
The First Regiment, Kansas Volunteer Infantry, was organized May 8, 1861, rendezvoused at Camp Lincoln, near Fort Leavenworth, and was mustered into the United States service June 3rd, under the following officers: George W. Deitzler, of Lawrence, colonel; Oscar E. Learnard, of Burlington, lieutenant colonel; John A. Halderman, of Leavenworth, major; Edwin S. Nash, of Olathe, adjutant; George H. Chapin, of Quindaro, quartermaster; George E. Buddington, of Quindaro, surgeon; Ephraim Nute, of Lawrence, chaplain. The regiment served in Missouri, at Wilson's creek, having seventy-seven men killed and three hundred and thirty-three wounded. After further brave service in the south and southwest, it was mustered out at Fort Leavenworth June 17, 1864, except two veteran companies which continued in the service until August 30, 1865, after the close of the war.
The Second Regiment, Kansas Volunteer Infantry, was recruited in May and June, 1861, rendezvoused at Lawrence and mustered in June, 30, under the following officers: Robert B. Mitchell, of Mansfield, colonel; William F. Cloud, of Emporia, major; Edward Thompson, of Lawrence, adjutant; Shaler W. Eldridge, of Lawrence, quartermaster; Aquilla B. Massey, of Lawrence, surgeon; Randolph C. Brant, of Lawrence, chaplain.
This regiment also participated in the battle of Wilson's creek, and its connection with that engagement is peculiarly interesting, historically. Colonel Mitchell, at a most critical juncture, was about to move his regiment forward to the aid of the hard-pressed regiments in front. As the regiment was moving to its position, General Lyon, already bleeding from two wounds, joined Colonel Mitchell at the head of the column, and, swinging his hat in the air, called upon the soldiers to prepare for a bayonet charge on the enemy. The Second had scarcely time to rally around him, when their own brave leader, Colonel Mitchell, fell severely wounded, exclaiming as he was borne from the field: "For God's sake, support my regiment. "
His soldiers, deprived of their commander, cried out: "We are ready to follow - who will lead us?"
"I will lead you," answered General Lyon. "Come on, brave men."
The words were hardly uttered before he fell, mortally wounded by a bullet which struck him in the breast.
The command of the Second now devolved upon Lieutenant Colonel Blair. The men sprang forward, the charge was made, the enemy driven quite over the hill, and the command brought back to the brow of the hill and reformed. For a time Lieutenant Colonel Blair held his position, with only eight companies of his regiment, and with no field or staff officer to assist him. Afterward, a section of a battery and four companies of the First Kansas were sent to his aid. Three of these companies were soon ordered to another position, and the battery withdrawn, but Colonel Blair, having been rejoined by his own Company, B, and the other regimental officers, held his ground, though totally unsupported and with ammunition nearly spent. Before the rebels had been fairly repulsed, after their last and deadliest assault on the whole line, Major Sturgis, believing the ammunition of the Second exhausted, ordered its withdrawal, but it remained in its old position an hour and a half with unbroken line, and withdrew only after the departure of the enemy, being the last regiment to leave the field. It saw other creditable service in Missouri and elsewhere, and was discharged at Leavenworth, with instructions to reorganize, Colonel Mitchell, Lieutenant Colonel Blair, Major Cloud and Captain Crawford being retained in service.
Wyandotte county had a big share in the organization which proved to be the germ of the Second Kansas Cavalry, destined to become famous in the Civil war. It was effected through the labors of Alson C. Davis, of Wyandotte county, who, in October, 1861, obtained authority from Major General Fremont, then commander of the Western department, to raise a regiment of cavalry in the state of Kansas, such regiment to be designated the Twelfth Kansas Volunteers, with place of rendezvous at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. The organization, as commenced, consisted of the following officers: C. L. Gorton, adjutant; Julius G. Fisk, quartermaster; Dr. J. B. Welborne, surgeon. The dates of the organization of the several companies were as follows: Company A, November 22, 1861; Company B, December 9, 1861; Company C, December 11, 1861; Company D, December 11, 1861, Company E, December 15, 1861. On December 26th, by order of the governor, Companies F, G, H and I, of Nugent's regiment of Missouri Home Guards, were attached to the organization, and its designation was changed to "Ninth Kansas Volunteers." On December 31, 1861, Dr. Joseph P. Root was mustered in as surgeon, vice Dr. J. B. Welborne; January 4, 1862, Owen A. Bassett was mustered in as lieutenant colonel, Julius G. Fisk as mayor, and Luther H. Wood as quartermaster; January 7th, Thomas B. Eldridge was mustered in as major and Rev. Charles Reynolds as chaplain on the same day, Company K was organized. January 9th, Alson C. Davis was mustered in as colonel, and Dr. George B. Wood as assistant surgeon, completing the organization of the Ninth Kansas Volunteers as follows: Colonel, Alson C. Davis, of Wyandotte county; lieutenant-colonel, Owen A. Bassett, Douglas county; major, Julius G. Fisk, Wyandotte county; major, Thomas B. Eldridge, Douglas county; adjutant, C. L. Gorton, Leavenworth county; quartermaster, Luther H. Wood, Wyandotte county; surgeon, Dr. Joseph P. Root, Wyandotte county; chaplain, Rev. Charles Reynolds, Douglas county.
The regiment left Fort Leavenworth on January 20, 1862, with orders to establish winter quarters at Quindaro. On the 4th of February, the four companies formerly attached to Nugent's regiment were mustered out, their enlistment being for home service. Below regulation size, Colonel Davis resigned, and Major Eldridge was, at his own request, mustered out. Company K, from this time, was designated as Company F. On February 28, 1862, Major General Hunter, commanding the department of Kansas, assigned to the Ninth Kansas Volunteers the following officers and companies, formerly belonging to the Second Kansas Volunteer Infantry: Colonel, Robert B. Mitchell; majors, Charles W. Blair and William F. Cloud. John Pratt was appointed adjutant; Cyrus L. Gorton, quartermaster; Luther H. Wood, first battalion quartermaster. David Mitchell assumed command of the Ninth Kansas, and on the 12th the regiment left winter quarters at Quindaro, and pursuant to orders, moved to Shawneetown. On March 15th the name of the regiment was changed to Second Kansas Volunteers, and again changed on the 27th of the same month to the name by which it was thereafter known - Second Kansas Cavalry. The officers of the regiment were the following: Robert B. Mitchell, colonel, Mansfield; Owen A. Bassett, lieutenant colonel, Lawrence; Charles W. Blair, major, Fort Scott; John Pratt, adjutant, Lawrence; David R. Coleman, battalion adjutant, Paris; Cyrus L. Gorton, quartermaster, Leavenworth; Dr. Joseph P. Root, surgeon, Wyandotte; Charles Reynolds, chaplain, Fort Riley. Colonel Mitchell, having been promoted to brigadier general, April 8, 1862, with command of the proposed New Mexico expedition on June 1st, Colonel William F. Cloud, of the Tenth, was assigned to the command of the Second Cavalry. On May 16th, Captain Henry Hopkins, first lieutenant, Robert H. Hunt, second lieutenant, John K. Rankin and Second Lieutenant Joseph Crocklin, with a detail of privates, were assigned to Hopkins' (formerly Hollister's) Battery, and were ordered, with the brigade of General Mitchell, to Tennessee. Major Julius G. Fisk, with squadrons A and D, was ordered to New Mexico. The regiment served in the southwest principally, going by way of Fort Riley. In March, 1864, the Second was assigned to Lieutenant Colonel Bassett's Cavalry Brigade, under Major Fisk. In September, 1864, Colonel Cloud was assigned to the staff of Major General Curtis. The different companies were mustered out between March 18 and June 22, 1865, at Little Rock, Fort Leavenworth and Fort Gibson, and the men were paid and discharged at Lawrence, August 17th.
It was organized in July, 1861, under the following officers: Colonel Hampton P. Johnson, Leavenworth; lieutenant colonel, John Ritchie, Topeka; major, James H. Summers; adjutant, Stephen R. Harrington, Washington, D. C.; quartermaster, James Davis, Leavenworth; surgeon, E. B. Johnson, Leavenworth; chaplain, Hugh D. Fisher, Lawrence. Colonel Johnson assumed command of the Fifth at Fort Scott in August, 1861, and the regiment served principally in Arkansas. In September, 1864, several companies were mustered out at Leavenworth, Pine Bluff and Little Rock. On June 22, 1862, the re-enlisted veterans of the Fifth were mustered out at Duvall's Bluff, Arkansas.
The Sixth Regiment of Volunteer Cavalry was organized in the spring of 1862, by the reorganization of several "Home Guard" companies, then lately mustered out of the service, and officered thus: Colonel, William R. Judson; lieutenant colonel, Lewis R. Jewell; major, William T. Campbell; adjutant, Isaac Atatten; quartermaster, Simeon B. Gordon; surgeon, John S. Redfield; chaplain, Richard Duvall - all of Fort Scott. The duties required of the Sixth were not such as to call forth the impetuous daring that marks men in desperate engagements, but rather such as test a soldier's endurance and strength of nerve - long and weary pursuits of an enemy over his native country, scouting through the forests and passes of Missouri, Arkansas and Kansas - but, such as they were, they had their peculiar perils, and they were bravely met. The regiment was mustered out late in 1864 and early in 1865.
The Seventh Kansas Cavalry was organized October 28, 1861, and mustered into the service of the United States under the following officers: Colonel, Charles R. Jennison, Leavenworth; lieutenant colonel, Daniel R. Anthony, Leavenworth; major, Thomas P. Herrick, Highland; adjutant, John T. Snoddy, Mound City; quartermaster, Robert W. Hamer, Leavenworth; surgeon, Joseph L, Weaver, Leavenworth; chaplain, Samuel Ayers, Leavenworth. The regiment served in Missouri, Mississippi and Tennessee, and was mustered out at Fort Leavenworth in September, 1865. Lieutenant Colonel Anthony was deprived of his command in Tennessee, June 18, 1862, for issuing an offensive order. On July 17th Major Albert T. Lee was promoted to colonel, and assumed command of the regiment. Colonel Lee having been promoted to brigadier general November 29, 1862, the command devolved upon Lieutenant Colonel Herrick. During the Missouri campaign of 1864 the regiment was commanded by Lieutenant Colonel F. M. Malone.
This regiment was originally recruited and intended for home and frontier service. Hostile Indians on the west and armed rebels on the east, rendering Kansas at any moment liable to invasion, a double duty devolved on the young state, and at that period of the war, while furnishing liberally of her "bone and sinew" to repel the enemy abroad, her own homes and families had also to be considered and protected. As organized in November, 1861, the regiment of six infantry and two cavalry companies, with the following regimental officers: Colonel, Henry W. Wessels, United States army; lieutenant colonel, John A. Martin; major, Edward F. Schneider; adjutant, S. C. Russell; quartermaster, E. P. Bancroft. During the three months following this organization various changes were made in the regiment. Some companies were added, some were transferred to other regiments, and some were consolidated. On February 7, 1862, Colonel Wessels was ordered to Washington to assume command of his regiment in the regular army, and Lieutenant Colonel Martin succeeded to his place. Later in the month, the Eighth was consolidated with a battalion raised for New Mexico service; the cavalry companies, D and H, were transferred to the Ninth Kansas, and the Eighth, now an entire infantry regiment, was placed under command of Col. R. H. Graham. The organization of the regiment after these changes was as follows: Colonel, Robert H. Graham, Leavenworth; lieutenant colonel, John A. Martin, Atchison; major, Edward F. Schneider, Leavenworth; adjutant, Sheldon C. Russell, Lawrence; quartermaster, E. P. Bancroft, Emporia; surgeon, J. B. Woodward, Riley county; chaplain, John Paulson, Topeka.
On May 28th five companies of the regiment - B, E, H, I and K - after being reviewed at Fort Leavenworth, embarked on a Missouri steamer, under orders from General Blunt, then commander of western department, to report at Corinth, Mississippi. At St. Louis, Colonel Graham was obliged to resign his command, in consequence of sickness, and it again devolved upon Lieutenant Colonel Martin. In December, 1862, Colonel Martin was assigned to the command of the brigade, and Major Schneider to that of the regiment. In February, 1863, Companies A, C, D, F, and in March, Company G, rejoined the regiment. These companies had been stationed at different posts in Kansas, chiefly employed in repelling the incursions of rebel bands from Missouri and guarding the frontier of their own state. On January 4, 1864, four-fifths of all the members of the Eighth, then present in camp, re-enlisted as veteran volunteers. On the 9th, General Willich assumed command of the Third division, the command of the First brigade devolving upon Colonel Martin, and that of the regiment upon Major James M. Graham. Colonel Martin was mustered out at Pulaski on the 17th of November, his term of service having expired. The following day Lieutenant Colonel Conover took command of the regiment. The Eighth saw service in east Tennessee, and especially recommended itself to the admiration of the nation by the part it took at Mission Ridge. At the close of the war it went to Texas, and did not return until January, 1866, when it was mustered out at Leavenworth. It was one of the earliest regiments in the field, and its term of service did not close until the echo of the last Confederate gun had died away.
Organized March 27, 1862, the Ninth Cavalry, which did effective work in the west, was under the following officers: Colonel, Edward Lynde, Grasshopper Falls; lieutenant colonel, Charles S. Clark, Iola; major, James M. Pomeroy; adjutant, Luin K. Thacher, Kansas City; quartermaster, William Rosenthal, Lawrence; surgeon, Henry C. Bostick, Iola; chaplain, Gilbert S. Northrup. The final organization of the Ninth was effected by consolidating and organizing the Iola battalion (raised in southern Kansas) with detachments of the First Battalion Kansas Cavalry, the Third Kansas, and the Eighth Kansas Volunteers. The place of rendezvous for these companies was Fort Leavenworth, where also the regiment was organized, and whence the companies were detached to various posts of duty - A, on escort duty to Fort Union, New Mexico; B, into the mountains of Colorado, to build Fort Halleck; C, to Fort Riley; G, to Fort Lyon, Colorado, and I, to Fort Laramie. The detachments on the plains were long in defense of overland mail routes, and the protection of immigrants, one detachment proceeding northwest to Montana, the other having its station along the Santa Fe route. The four companies, D, E, F and H, under Major Bancroft, formed a part of the expedition into the Indian country, and, under Colonel Lynde, were engaged during a part of August, 1862, in pursuing the force of General Coffey through western Missouri. The regiment took part in the desultory warfare which was waged in Kansas, Missouri and Arkansas, remaining on duty at Little Rock and Duvall's Bluff until its term of service expired, some of the companies returning to Leavenworth in the fall of 1864, to be mustered out of service, and some remaining until mustered out in the summer of 1865.
On April 3, 1862, the Third and Fourth Kansas regiments, together with a small portion of the Fifth, were, by order of the war department, consolidated at Paola, Kansas. The regiment formed by such consolidation was designated the Tenth Kansas Infantry, and was at that time organized under the following officers: Colonel, William P. Cloud, Emporia; lieutenant colonel, Henry H. Williams, Osawatomie; major, Otis B. Gunn; adjutant, Casimio B. Zulaoski, Boston, Massachusetts; surgeon, Mahlon Bailey; chaplain, John H. Drummond, Maryville. The regiment saw service on the border, and at the expiration of its term was mustered out at Fort Leavenworth.
The Tenth Kansas Veteran Regiment was composed of four companies, the Veterans, with the recruits of Companies F and 1, forming the new companies, A and B. The regiment was commanded by Major Henry H. Williams from its organization until the last of August, 1864, when he was placed in charge of Schofield Barracks, St. Louis. The Tenth left St. Louis for Pilot Knob, Missouri, under command of Lieutenant F. A. Smiley, Company D, and on its arrival the command was transferred to Captain George D. Brooke, Company C. On November 7th, the regiment embarked at St. Louis for Paducah, Kentucky, and on its arrival at that place Captain William C. Jones, of Company B, took command. November 28th, it arrived at Nashville, and the next day at Columbia, Tennesse,[sic] being at the latter place assigned to the Fourth Army Corps, General Stanley commanding. The regiment fell back with the army of General Schofield after the battle of Franklin, and on reaching Nashville was employed on the defense of the city until December 16th, having been in the meantime transferred to the Seventeenth, afterward Sixteenth Army Corps, Second Brigade, Second Division. Later it was commanded by Captain (afterward Lieutenant Colonel) Charles S. Hills. It took part in subsequent warfare in that field, and acquitted itself heroically on more than one occasion. It was mustered out in Alabama, and, September 20, 1865, received payment and final discharge at Fort Leavenworth.
YOUNG TOM EWING'S REGIMENT.
The Eleventh Kansas Infantry (afterward Calvary) was the result of the energetic and patriot Honorable Thomas Ewing, Jr., at a time when the state felt hardly able to spare even the men it had already in the field. The first recruit enlisted August 8, 1862, and on the 14th of September the last company was mustered in, the line officers as follows: Field and Staff - Colonel, Thomas Ewing, Jr., Leavenworth; lieutenant colonel, Thomas Moonlight, Leavenworth; major, Preston B. Plumb, Emporia; adjutant, John Williams, Leavenworth; quartermaster, James R. McClure, Junction City; surgeon, George W. Hogeboom, Leavenworth; chaplain, James S. Cline, Tecumseh. On the promotion of Colonel Ewing to be brigadier general, Lieutenant Colonel Moonlight was promoted to colonel, Major Plumb to lieutenant colonel, and Captain Anderson to major; but the regiment having lost over three hundred men, its number was below the minimum, and they could not muster at that time. On changing the regiment to cavalry, it was again below regulation size, and Major Anderson was the only field officer mustered in until the following spring, when two additional companies having been recruited and mustered in, the organization of the Eleventh Kansas Cavalry was completed by the commission of Lieutenant Colonel Moonlight as colonel, Major Plumb as lieutenant colonel, and Captains Ross and Adams as majors. Early in the war the regiment was in Missouri and Arkansas. Later it served under General Ewing in southwest Missouri and Kansas. In 1864 it took part in the campaign against Price; after that in the movements against the Indians. Lieutenant Colonel Plumb succeeded Colonel Moonlight in command. The regiment was mustered out at Fort Leavenworth in the early fall of 1865.
This regiment of Kansas men was recruited by C. W. Adams, of Lawrence, in the counties of Wyandotte, Johnson, Douglas, Miami, Franklin, Coffey, Allen, Linn and Bourbon. It was mustered into the service at Paola, September 25, 1862, under the following officers: Field and Staff - Colonel, Charles W. Adams, Lawrence; lieutenant colonel, Jonas E. Hayes, Olathe; major, Thomas H. Kennedy, Lawrence; adjutant, Charles J. Lovejoy, Baldwin City; quartermaster, Andrew J. Shannon, Paola; surgeon, Thomas Lindsay, Garnett; chaplain, Werter R. Davis, Baldwin City. This regiment served on the frontier, and was mustered out at Little Rock, June 3, 1865.
The Thirteenth Kansas Infantry was raised in conformity to the quota assigned Kansas, under President Lincoln's call of July, 1862, and was recruited by Cyrus Leland, Sr., in the counties of Atchison, Brown, Doniphan, Marshall and Nemaha. The rendezvous was established at Camp Stanton, city of Atchison, the regiment organized September 10, 1862, and mustered into the service of the United States on September 20th of the same year, under the following officers: Colonel, Thomas M. Bowen, Marysville.; lieutenant colonel, John B. Wheeler, Troy; major, Caleb A. Woodworth, Atchison; adjutant, William P. Badger; quartermaster, Cyrus Leland; surgeon, William M. Grimes, Atchison; chaplain, Daniel A. Murdock. The Thirteenth was in the engagement at Prairie Grove, and saw considerable guerrilla warfare. It was mustered out at Little Rock, Arkansas, June 26, 1865.
The nucleus of the Fourteenth Kansas Volunteer Infantry consisted of four companies of cavalry, which were recruited as personal escort of Major General Blunt, in the spring of 1863. The necessity of raising an additional force for frontier service was so imperative that the recruiting of a whole regiment was authorized, and the work performed during the summer and fall, Major T. J. Anderson serving as recruiting officer. The organization of the regiment was partially completed in November as follows: Field and Staff - Colonel, Charles W. Blair, Fort Scott; majors, Daniel H. David, Charles Willetts and John G. Brown, Leavenworth; adjutant, William O. Gould, Leavenworth; assistant surgeon, Albert W. Chenowith, Lecompton. The Fourteenth took part in the peculiarly dangerous and wearing service on the border and in the campaign against Price. It was mustered out at Lawrence, August 20, 1865. After the numerous guerrilla raids of 1863, under Coffey, Rains and Quantrell, had culminated in the terrible massacre at Lawrence, Governor Carney immediately commissioned Colonel C. R. Jennison to recruit a regiment of cavalry for the express purpose of protecting the eastern border of Kansas. Rendezvous was established at Leavenworth, and in a mouth the required companies were raised, and the Fifteenth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry was organized under the following officers: Colonel, Charles R. Jennison, Leavenworth; lieutenant colonel, George H. Hoyt, Boston, Massachusetts; major, Robert H. Hunt, Leavenworth; adjutant, Joseph Mackle; quartermaster, George W. Carpenter; surgeon, Augustus E. Denning, Topeka; chaplain, Benjamin L. Read, Leavenworth. The regiment served in Missouri and Kansas, taking part in repelling the Price raid.
The Sixteenth Volunteer Cavalry was organized during the latter period of the war, and was officered as follows - Colonel, Werter R. Davis, Baldwin City; lieutenant colonel, Samuel Walker, Lawrence; major, James A. Price, and adjutant, Philip Doppler, both of Weston, Missouri; quartermaster, William B. Halyard; surgeon, James P. Erickson; chaplain, Thomas J. Ferril, Baldwin City. This regiment was out against Price, and participated in guerrilla and Indian warfare in Missouri.
In response to the president's call of April 23, 1864, for troops to serve one hundred days, five companies were recruited in Kansas and organized into a battalion, which, July 28th, was mustered into the Seventeenth Kansas, at Fort Leavenworth, under the following officers: Lieutenant colonel, Samuel A. Drake; adjutant, D. G. Strandbridge; quartermaster, D. B. Evans; assistant surgeon, George E. Buddington, all of Leavenworth. This regiment, the last raised in the state, served with credit to the end of the struggle.
Six companies of the First Kansas Colored Volunteer Infantry were mustered in January 13, 1863. The organization was completed with four additional companies, May 2nd, under these officers: Colonel, James M. Williams; lieutenant colonel, John Bowles; major, Richard J. Ward; adjutant, Richard J. Hinton; quartermaster, Elijah Hughes; surgeon, Samuel C. Harington. It performed good service in the southwest, and was mustered out at Pine Bluff, Arkansas, October 1, 1865.
The Second Kansas Colored Volunteer Infantry also served on the border. It was organized in the summer of 1863, at Fort Smith, Arkansas, under the following field and staff officers: Colonel, Samuel J. Crawford, Garnett; lieutenant colonel, Horatio Knowles; major, James H. Gillpatrick, Junction City; adjutant, John R. Montgomery, Little Rock, Arkansas; quartermaster, Edwin Stokes, Clinton; surgeon, George W. Walgamott, Lawrence; chaplain, Josiah B. McAffee, Topeka. It was discharged from the service at Leavenworth, November 27, 1865, having, as did also the First Colored Infantry, nobly performed its duty, and by its faithful service proved the bravery and efficiency of colored soldiers.
The First Kansas Volunteer Battery has left meager records. Its first officers were mustered in July 24, 1861, about fifty artillery men enlisting that month. The organization was as follows: Captain, Thomas Bickerton; first lieutenant, Norman Allen, both of Lawrence; second lieutenant, Hartson R. Brown; first sergeant, John B. Cook, Auburn; second sergeant, Shelby Sprague, Prairie City; corporal, John S. Gray, Mound City. Many recruits were added to the battery during the early part of 1862, and it participated in the battle of Prairie Grove. It left Rolla, Missouri, July 9, 1863, for St. Louis. In consequence of the death of Captain Norman Allen, who was promoted February 25, 1862, and who died at St. Louis July 10, 1863, the command devolved on Lieutenant Thomas Taylor, Lieutenant H. R. Brown having been mustered out February 15, 1862. Directly succeeding the death of Captain Allen the battery was ordered to Indiana, and took an active part in capturing Morgan's guerrilla band, then on its raid through that state. After this it was ordered to St. Louis, and subsequently to Columbus, Kentucky. It served with distinction in all the principal actions in which the armies of the Tennessee and Mississippi were engaged, and its numbers were greatly reduced by the casualties of war and by disease. It was mustered out of service at Leavenworth, Kansas, July 17, 1865.
The work of organizing the Second Kansas Volunteer Battery was commenced in August, 1862, under the supervision of Major C. W. Blair, of the Second Kansas Cavalry. Its organization was completed on September 19th following, its officers being as follows: Charles W. Blair, Fort Scott, commanding; first lieutenant, Edward A. Smith; first lieutenant, David C. Knowles, second lieutenant, Andrew G. Clark, all of Fort Scott; second lieutenant, Aristarchus Wilson, Mapleton; first sergeant, William Requa, Mount Gilead; quartermaster-sergeant, William H. Boyd, Mansfield. At the time the battery was mustered in at Fort Scott, its entire force was one hundred and twenty-three officers and men, two twelve-pounder field howitzers, and four six-pounder guns. The battery was assigned to First Brigade, General Soloman, First Division, General Blunt, of the Army of the Frontier, then consolidated under General Schofield at Pea Ridge, and participated gallantly in the warfare in the southwest. It was mustered out of service in August, 1865.
The military organization afterward known as the Third Kansas Battery was originally recruited as a cavalry company, by Henry Hopkins and John F. Aduddell, in the latter part of 1861, and on the formation of the Second Kansas Cavalry, February 28, 1862, was assigned to that regiment as Company B, its officers being as follows: Captain, Henry Hopkins, and first lieutenant, John F. Aduddell, both of Albion, Illinois; second lieutenant, Oscar F. Dunlap, Topeka; on May 15, 1862, the latter was succeeded by Bradford S. Bassett. Captain Hopkins having been ordered to the command of Hollister's battery, Lieutenant Aduddell succeeded to the command. This organization served in the southwest, principally in Arkansas, latterly under the command of Lieutenant Bassett, and was mustered out in January, 1865, except about fifty men who were attached to the Second Battery.
Three Indian regiments were actively engaged in the United States service during the War of the Rebellion, which were officered and entirely recruited in Kansas. The recruits were chiefly from the loyal Seminole and Creek Indians, who had taken refuge from the encroachments of hostile Indians under Stand-Waitie, in the southern border of the state. A few were resident Indians, having homes and families in Kansas.
A synopsis of the reports of the adjutant general's department gives the following as the record of the seventeen regiments of cavalry and infantry and the four batteries;
|Killed in battle||34||762|
|Died of wounds||12||192|
|Died of disease||26||2,080|
|Discharged for disability||8||1,849|
The heaviest losses of life in battle were sustained by the First Colored Infantry which lost four officers and one hundred and fifty-six enlisted men. The First Infantry, which was next in order, lost eleven officers and eighty-six enlisted men.
Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project