Return to Index
Previous Section | Next Section
SEVERIN, located about five miles northwest of Catharine, is a branch of the latter, having been founded exclusively by former members of the Catharine parish. Reverend Father Severin, in whose honor the town was named, was its first pastor. The church was built in May, 1916, and was dedicated June 22, 1916. The following families constituted the original membership: Peter J. Walter, Frank Schmeidler, Jr., Peter J. Miller, Jos. G. Dinkel, Alois E. Karlin, Raymund A. Schmidt, Emil Schmeidler, August Schmeidler, Philip Meis, Peter H. Staab, Frank Walter, Alois J. Koerner, Jacob Koerner, Henry Meis, F. A. Meier, Paul Karlin, Michael Krannewitter, and Adam Walter.
Besides the first pastor and founder, Rev. Fr. Severin, the following Capuchin Fathers functioned as pastors: Rev. Fr. Victor, 1916-1918, Rev. Fr. Gaudens, O.M. Cap., 1918-1919; Rev. Fr. Pancratius, 1920-1922; Rev. Fr. Cassimier, 1922-1925, and Rev. Fr. Maurice, the present pastor. The parish has no parochial school as yet.
Transcribed from The Golden Jubilee of German-Russian Settlements of Ellis and Rush Counties, Kansas, August 31, September 1 and 2, 1926
Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project