Transcribed from The Golden Jubilee of German-Russian Settlements of Ellis and Rush Counties, Kansas, August 31, September 1 and 2, 1926

Return to Index
Previous Section | Next Section


HAYS

HAYS, the county seat of Ellis County, Kansas, today the pride of the western part of the State; an educational unter, a city of churches and schools and a prosperous law-abiding citizenship, had in the year 1876, the time of the German-Russian settlers, just emerged from the heyday times of the cowboy, the Texas cattlemen and the frontiersmen.

With its incorporation as a municipality, in 1869, the element of law and order became predominant and the frontier tough gradually vanished from the scene.

The necessity to seek work to support his family, while his crops were growing, forced many of the settlers to leave the wife and children on the farm while they found work in the cities. Hays, being nearby, naturally be came the first destination. Thus, gradually a number of them became permanent residents.

In 1876, the Catholic population of Hays consisted of a few scattered families whose spiritual needs were taken care of by priests occasionally coming from Solomon City and Salina.

With the advent of the new element the church membership increased rapidly. Bishop Louis M. Fink of Leavenworth, in whose diocese Hays then lay, appointed Rev. Fr. Valentin Sommereisen, an Alsatian by birth, resident priest. His field embraced not only Hays but also the six newly founded settlements. On the first Sunday in advent, 1876, he organized St. Joseph's parish. Services were held in one of the barracks in Fort Hays on the fourth Sunday of each month. The public school building was also used for that purpose at various times.

In 1878 the Capuchin Fathers of the Pennsylvania Province, at the request of Rt. Rev. Bishop Fink, assumed spiritual charge of all the Catholics in Ellis County, Kansas, residing between the Saline and Smoky Hill rivers. The first Capuchin Fathers to arrive in Ellis County were Rev. Fr. Mathew Hau and Rev. Fr. Anastasius Mueller. The church was administered from Herzog (Victoria) where the first hospice of the Capuchins was located. Rev. Fr. Anastasius held services in the court house and the barracks at the fort.

During his administration Fr. Sommereisen had purchased from Martin Allen lots 1, 3, 5 and 7 in Block 18, for church purposes, and on these lots a frame church building 42 ft. by 22 ft. was erected in 1879.

In 1880 the first sisters of St. Agnes came to Hays. Their first visit seems to have been short as they came for the purpose of assisting the pastor in instructing the "First Communion Class."

On the third day of January, 1881, Ven. Sisters Seraphina and Adriana, C. S. A., came to Hays to take charge of the parochial school. A two-story frame house was built which served as residence for the sisters and schoolhouse.

In 1884 a frame school building was erected. The church building, in the meantime, had become too small, therefore preparations for the building of a new edifice were made.

The erection of this building was commenced in the spring of 1886. On August 15 of that year the cornerstone was laid. The building was completed by Christmas day, 1886. On March 6, 1887, it was dedicated by Rev. Fr. Anastasius, O. M. Cap. The dimensions of the same were 72x32x2l with a sacristy 26x16 two stories high. On September 4, 1887, it was consecrated.

In August, 1893, the residence of the priest at Hays was made a hospice of the Capuchin Fathers, Rev. Fr. Martin, O.M. Cap., becoming the first Superior September 1, 1893.

In October, 1893, Rev. Fr. Lawrence, O.M. Cap., opened an advanced course of study for young boys at Hays, which was attended by twenty boys. Owing to crop failures in the succeeding years, this course was abandoned.

In 1893 the parish had 306 communicants. On January 25, 1897, Rev. Fr. Val Sommereisen, who had lived in retirement on a farm northeast of Hays, for many years, died and was buried in the Catholic cemetery here.

The number of parishioners had in the meantime increased so that the church erected in 1886 was filled to capacity and the necessity for a larger church building became apparent.

Before, however, undertaking this, Rev. Fr. Emmeram, O.M. Cap., pastor at Hays in 1897-99 erected a residence for the priests, a commodious two story building of native magnesia limestone.

On the 19th of June the Rev. Fr. Fidelis Meier, O.M. Cap, a son of the parish, celebrated his first Holy Mass. As this was the first celebration of this nature it attracted wide attention.

In 1899 the parish census showed 113 families.

On August 10. 1899, Rev. Fr. Mark Haas. O.M. Cap., became pastor of St. Joseph's church at Hays, who proceded to have plans and specifications made for a new church building. Joseph Marshal of Topeka, an architect of note, made the plans. The spirit of sacrifice and cooperation displayed by the people of Hays enabled the pastor to complete the building in a comparatively short time. The beginning was made in June, 1901. On Novemher 28 of the same year the cornerstone was laid, and on June 12, 1904, it was dedicated. The membership had by that time increased to 186 families.

The project of an advanced course of study for boys which had been abandoned in the early nineties, was revived and carried out by the Capuchin Fathers. Rev. Fr. Cassian, O.M. Cap, on his arrival in Hays, in August 11, 1906, undertook the erection of a college building large enough to accommodate seventy-five to one hundred students. The cornerstone of the new building was laid June 23, 1907. Great interest in the undertaking was manifested by the Catholic population of Ellis County, who gathered in large numbers at Hays for the event. After some unavoidable delay the building was completed and dedicated September 14, 1908. Rev. Fr. Henry Kluepfel, O.M. Cap., opened the school as its first director the same month. The school provided a commercial course of three years and a classical course of six years. From its opening day, it enjoyed good attendance. Its graduates are numbered by the hundreds and many occupy positions of trust and responsibility in the professional and commercial life of their respective communities.

The growth of St. Joseph's parish in the meanwhile continued. In 1911 the census showed 239 families. The parochial school facilities soon became lamentably inadequate and new quarters, to house the young ones who in ever increasing numbers sought admission, became imperative. Rev. Fr. Paul, O.M. Cap., pastor of Hays, July 12, 1913, commenced the erection of an eight-room two-story brick building. It was completed and opened for school in September, 1914.

In July, 1915, the Hays hospice was raised to the dignity of a guardianate, Rev. Fr. Dominic Schuster, O.M. Cap., becoming the first guardian.

The need of a hospital, located in a place easily accessible to the people of western Kansas had long been felt. In 1915, one of the largest private residences of Hays, which had been used as the Sisters of St. Agnes home for some years, was converted into a hospital. It was some years later replaced by the present St. Anthony's Hospital, a model institution, its equipment and furnishings representing the best. At this writing St. Joseph's parish at Hays has become the largest congregation in the diocese of Concordia. It numbers 500 families of about 2,300 souls; 678 children are enrolled on the parochial school books, while sixty-two young ladies attended the Hays Catholic Girls' High School last year. The question of adequate housing for all these children is an acute one and awaits solution.

The following priests served as pastors at Hays since 1876: Rev. Fr. Sommereisen, 1876-1878; Rev. Fr. Anastasius, O.M. Cap., 1878-1885; Rev. Fr. Martin, O.M. Cap., 9-1-1885, to 12-29-1985; Rev. Fr. Anastasius, 1885-1888: Rev. Fr. Anthony Berger, 1888-1891: Rev. Fr. Martin; Rev. Fr. Emmeram, O.M. Cap., 1897-1899; Rev. Fr. Mark Haas, O.M. Cap., 1899-1903; Rev. Fr. Richard Dei, O.M. Cap., 1903-1906; Rev. Fr. Cassian, O.M. Cap., 1906-1909; Rev. Fr. Charles, 1909-1912; Rev. Fr. Anthony Burghardt, O.M. Cap., 1912-1913; Rev. Fr. Paul, O.M. Cap., 1913-1914; Rev. Fr. Jerome Mueller, O.M. Cap., 1914-1915; Rev. Fr. Dominic Schuster, 1915-1917; Rev. Fr. Anselm Mueller, O.M. Cap., 1917-1919; Rev. Fr. Ignatius Weisbruch, O.M. Cap., 1919-1921; Rev. Fr. Bernardine, O. M. Cap.. 1921-1922, and Rev. Fr. Thomas Petri, O.M. Cap., 1922 to present time.

List of Families, St. Joseph's Church, Hays, Kansas

Aich, Mrs. John
Aich, Steve
Aich, Joseph
Alexander, Hector
Arnhold, Anton
Arnhold, Nicholas
Arnhold, Jacob, Sr.
Arnhold, F. W.
Arnhold, Jacob F.
Arnhold, Wendelin
Augustine, Michael
Augustine, Joseph
Bahl, Joseph
Ballman, Anton
Baier, Henry E.
Baier, John W.
Beyer, Raymond
Basgall, Jos. B.
Basgall, Peter A.
Basgall, John A.
Basgall, Geo. A.
Basgall, Martin A.
Basgall, Jacob J.
Beilman, Peter
Beilman, John
Beilman, Jos. A.
Befort, Ludwig
Befort, Andrew
Befort, John
Befort, August
Befort, Michael
Benton, Geo.
Bell, Leonard
Bird, John S.
Beeby, Fred
Bennison, Mrs. Ethel
Balthasar, Arthur
Betthauser, Dr. Jos. R.
Beiker, Alois
Bicker, John J.
Bicker, Nicodemus
Bicker, Wendelin
Bicker, Leo
Binder, Joseph
Billinger, Mike
Bissing, Mrs. Sarah
Bissing, Alex E.
Bissing, Justus, Jr.
Bissing, Mrs. Catharine
Bissing, Jacob
Bissing, Frank A.
Bissing, Alex J.
Bissing, Robert
Bissing, Francis A.
Bissig, Felix
Bittel, Philip
Bittel, Alois
Burtcher, Carolina
Burgardt, Ignatz
Burgardt, Jacob
Burgardt, John
Brungardt, Anton
Brungardt, Catherine
Brungardt, A. P.
Brock, J. T.
Brull, Jacob
Brull, Thos.
Brull, Jacob G.
Brull, Gabriel
Bollig, Frank
Boos, Joseph
Bunker, G. F.
Baumstimler, John M.
Brown, John J.
Binder, Roy
Brown, L. L.
Dortland, Theo. R.
Dorzweiler, Melchoir
Callahan, David
Copp, John
Colahan, James
Clennan, Martin
Dean, Catherine and Cecelia
Dechant, Carl
Dechant, Joe C.
Dechant, John
Dechant, Henry
Dechant, Anton
Delva, Leo
Denning, Nick.
Denning, Mrs. Anna
Denning, J. M.
Denning, Peter
Denning, Anthony
Desch, John
Dinges, Christina
Dinges, M. P.
Dinges, Nicodemus
Dorney, Wm.
Dome, John
Doerfler, Alexander
Doerfler, Joe
Doerfler, Joe
Poerfler, Paul
Des Marteau, A. W.
Drees, Paul
Drees, Rich M.
Dreiling, B. M.
Dreiling, Frank F.
Dreiling, Frank D.
Dreiling, Alex P. A.
Denning, James
Dreiling, Margaret
Dreiling, Frank J.
Dreiling, Peter
Dreiling, Edmund J.
Dreiling, Aquiline H.
Dreiling, Alois J.
Dreiling, Adolph A.
Dreher, Nick
Dreher, Jos. P.
Eberle, John K.
Eberle, Balthaser
Eberle, John M.
Eberle, Joseph
Eberle, Wm.
Eberle, Albert
Engel, Alois
Engel, Jacob
Engel, Carl A.
Ernst, John
Feltis, N. J.
Fenoughty, F. D.
Frank, John J.
Frank, Andrew
Frank, Mrs. Jacob
Frank, John M.
Frank, Jos. S.
Frank, Mathew
Fisher, Peter
Gassman, N. P.
Gerstner, Lawrence
Gallagher, James
Gerstner, Peter
Gerstner, Jacob J.
Gerstner, Jos. P.
Hertlein, Chas. A.
Heronime, Peter
Heronime, Nick
Holzmeister, Peter
Hoff, Frank
Holzmeister, Martin
Huser, Ben
Ingenthrone, Jos.
Ingenthrone, Dora
Getty, Joseph
Giebler, Nicolaus
Giebler, Joe
Gans, Mrs. Anna
Geist, Francis
Glassman, Anton
Glassman, Florian
Goetz, Adam
Goetz, Michael, Jr.
Goetz, Adam A.
Goetz, Ray J.
Goetz, Jos. P.
Goetz, Pauline
Graff, John
Gottschalk, Geo. J.
Gottschalk, P. V.
Gross, J. B.
Gross, Martin, Sr.
Gross, Catherine
Gross, Martin, Jr.
Gross, F. R.
Gross, John P.
Greenewald, Pancraz
Haffameier, Michael
Haffameier, Fred
Haffameier, Clarence J.
Hennerich, Dr. Otto A.
Herrman, Henry F.
Herman, Dr. A. A.
Herman, Nick A.
Herman, Peter A.
Hauser, Howard V.
Hauser, Louis A.
Haas, Clemens
Haas, Frank
Herklotz, Sylvester
Herl, Anton A.
Hertel, Joe
Hertel, Wm.
Hertlein, Henry
Karlin, Fred
Karlin, Pete
Karlin, Albert
Karlin, Frank E.
Karlin, John J.
Karlin, Edmund
Keberlein, John
Keberline, Jos.
Karlin, Wm.
Karlin, John
Kerlin, John
Kinderknecht, Anton
Kindernecht, Leo
Kissner, Jacob
Kissner, Peter
Kissner, Alex
Kissner, Geo.
Keiner, Andrew
Keiner, John
King, Asa A.
Kitchen, Geo.
Klaus, John
Klaus, Peter
Klaus, Raumond
Klug, G. J.
Karlin, John K.
Knoll, Mrs. John
Knoll, John Jr.
Keough, Mrs. Margaret
Koerner, Alois J., Jr.
Koerner, Fred, Jr.
Koll, Leo E.
Korbe, Jos. D.
Korbe, Joseph
Korbe, Simon
Korbe, Andrew F.
Korbe, Alois
Korbe, Jacob
Kroner, Anton G.
Kreutzer, A. F.
Kramer, Joseph
Kuhn, B. M.
Kuhn, Adolf
Kurfuss, Mary
Jacobs, Anton
Jacobs, Frank S.
Jacobs, John
Jacobs, Mrs. Peter
Jacobs, Philip
Jacobs, Philip M.
Jacobs, Mike, Sr.
Jacobs, Jos. G.
Jacobs, Peter J.
Jacobs, Mike F.
Jacobs, Casper
Jacobs, Jos. A.
Jamison, Dr. Chas. A.
Jordan, Mrs. Mary
Junker, Balthaser
Junker, Jacob
Junker, John F.
Lattigan, Mrs. Alex
Lattigan, John
Lattigan, Simon
Lattigan, Jos.
Lang, Michael
Lang, Wm.
Leahy, Mrs. Mary
Leiker, Anastas
Leiker, Carl
Leiker, Peter F.
Leiker, Alois J.
Leiker, Alois
Leiker, John L.
Leiker, Isidore
Leiker, John K.
Leiker, Jacob
Leiker, Henry P.
Leiker. Isidore A.
Leiker, Aquilinus
Leikam, Mrs. Ida
Leinmiller, Barney
Loenhardt, Henry
Loenhardt, Anton
Linenberger, Herman J.
Linenberger, Andrew A.
Linenberger, Alex
Little, Mrs. Ellen
Little, Roy
Lecuyer, Albert F.
Lecuyer, Bernadette
Meier, Alex
Meier, Frank A.
Meier, Mrs. John
Meier, Edward
Meier, Carl
Meier, Anton
Meis, Mrs. Agnes
Meis, Mrs. Rose P.
Meis, Frank
Meis, Anton
Maschka, Jacob
Maschka, Lawrence
Mallon, Wm. Jos.
Mansfield, Maurice
Mauer, Virginia
Merker, Mary
Merker, Peter
Miller, A. R.
Miller, John M.
Miller, Jacob P.
Menderler, Agnes
Miller, Johannes
Miller, Frank B.
Montgomery, W. B.
Molner, John
Murphy, Ignatius
Mullen, Mrs. E. G.
Mulroy, Rich
McCarthy, Dan, Sr.
McCarthy, Dan F.
McMahon, Mrs. Mary
McClellan, Mrs. Thos.
McQuire, Wm.
Munk, Theo Victoria
Mackey, E. J.
McGinty, Edward
Moye, K. J.
Nusbaum, Joe
Ney, Dora
O'Driscoll, Mike
O'Laughlin, John
Orth, Jacob
Orth, Martin
Orth, John
Page, Richard
Palen. N. J.
Paul, Joseph
Peters, Peter
Pelzl, Joe
Pfanenstiel, John
Pfanenstiel, Ludwig
Pfanenstiel, Anastas
Pfeifer, Michael
Pfeifer, Mrs. Adam J.
Pfeifer, Adam D.
Pfeifer, Adam A.
Pfeifer, Peter
Pfeifer, Alex A.
Pfeifer, Jos. A.
Pfeifer, Andrew
Pfeifer, John
Prockish, John
Ptacek, Louis
Quint, John
Quint, John P.
Quint, Peter
Quint, Peter J.
Quint, Peter M.
Quint, Mike
Riedel, Andrew N.
Riedel, Margaret
Riedel, John M.
Riedel, John S.
Rafferty, J. C.
Rosseo, F.
Ross, Edward J.
Ross, Albert
Rohr, Peter G.
Rome, Peter J.
Rohr, Anton
Roth, Jos., Sr.
Roth, Jacob
Roth, Andrew
Roth, Simon
Roth, Andrew
Roth, John P.
Ruder, John, Jr.
Ruder, John P.
Ruder, Paul, Sr.
Ruder, Peter J.
Ruder, Vinzens
Ruder, Carl
Ruder, James
Rayn, Mrs. Mary
Rupp, Casper, Jr.
Rupp, Casper C., Jr.
Rupp, Mrs. Dora
Rupp, Peter C.
Rupp, Jacob
Rupp, Jacob M.
Rupp, Fred
Rupp, Mrs. Emilia
Rupp, Alois
Rupp, Leo
Rupp, Alex P. R.
Rupp, Jos.
Rupp, Joe A.
Rupp, Philip, Jr.
Rupp, Gabriel
Sack, Anton
Sack, Ignatius
Sack, John S.
Sack, Stephen
Sack, John J.
Sack, John M.
Sander, Anton
Sander, Ignatius
Schaefer, J. M.
Schlyer, Mrs. John
Schlyer, Henry
Schlyer, Nick
Seitz, John, Sr.
Seitz, Casper P.
Seitz, John C.
Seitz, Alois J.
Simminger, Mrs. Mary
Schmeidler, Wm.
Schmidt, Mrs. C. A.
Schmidt, Carl A., Jr.
Schmidt, Michael
Smith, P. P.
Schmidt, John A.
Schmidt, Joe A.
Schmidt, Bern J.
Schmidt, Geo.
Schmidt, Jac. J.
Schenk, Jos. F.
Schubie, Gottfried
Schubie, Anton
Schubie, Peter
Schoendaller, Frank
Schoendaller, Error
Schuckman, Jos.
Schuckman, Jac.
Schueler, Alex
Schueler, Henry
Schumacher, Paul
Schumacher, Anton
Schumacher, Alex
Schwartz, Mrs. Lucy
Schreiner, Jos.
Speier, Raymond
Speier, John
Speier, Alex
Speier, Anton
Speis, Peter
Staab, Peter, Sr.
Staab, Raymond H.
Staab, John H.
Staab, Ferdinand
Staab, John R.
Staab, John J.
Staab, Ambrose P.
Staab, Richard R.
Staab, Adolph
Staab, Jacob H.
Stadleman, John
Stadleman, Gus
Stadleman, Jas. C.
Stressler, John P.
Stressler, John
Stressler, Anton
Stanton, Walter
Stadleman, Nick
Sterzer, John
Steimel, A. C.
Start, Mrs. Cecelia
Start, James R.
Start, James R.
Start, Mrs. Sophia
Start, Mrs. Anna
Stecklien, John
Strohmeier, Martin
Stroemel, Jos. J.
Speier, Paul
Schreibvogel, Anton
Sweeney, Wm. E.
There, Matt
Tholen, Herman
Tholen, John
Toepfer, Wm. A.
Toepfer, Amelia
Thibualt, Armidas
Tubbs, B. A.
Unrein, Clements
Unrein, Gerhardt
Unrein, Anton
Unrein, Anton, Jr.
Unrein, Dr. Gerhardt C.
Unrein, Mike J.
Unrein, Jacob C.
Unrein, Philip
Unrein, John D.
Unrein, John
Unrein, Nick S.
Vieth, Bernard
Walter, Jacob P.
Walter, Jacob A.
Walter, Mrs. Rosa
Walter, Joseph J.
Walter, Frank
Wasinger, Balthaser
Wasinger, Anton T.
Wasinger, Martin
Wasinger, John H.
Wasinger, John H., Mrs.
Wasinger, Mrs. John
Wasinger, Mrs. Paul
Wasinger, Geo. L.
Wasinger, Richard J.
Wasinger, Ida
Wasinger, Agnes
Wasinger, Anna
Wasinger, Zita
Wasinger, Louis J.
Wasinger, Peter A.
Wasinger, Frank S.
Wasinger, Nick J.
Wasinger, Ignatz
Weaver, Ignatz
Weber, Jerome
Weigel, John P.
Weigel, Adam
Weigel, Valentine
Weigel, Charles
Weigel, Andrew, Sr.
Weigel, Otto F.
Weigel, Fridolene
Welz, John
Welz, Car.
Weitz, Alex
Welch, Howard M.
Wiesner, A. A.
Wiesner, Mrs. Jacob
Wiesner, Jos. M.
Wiesner, Jac. M.
Wiesner, Alex
Wiesner, Lawurence A.
Wentworth, Ray
Wiles, Mrs. Arthur
Werth, Mrs. John F.
Werth, Theobald
Wolf, Carl
Wolf, Jos.
Wolf, August
Wolf, Peter
Wolf, Ferdinand
Watte, Simon Henry
Weigel, Jos.
Ward, Angelan
Younger, Geo.
Younger, Peter P.
Zeigler, Isaac
Zeigler, Geo.
Ziegler, Maruice
Zimmerman, Nick
Zimmerman, Paul
Zimmerman, Anton
Zwenger, Samuel

Picture: Rev. Fr. Thomas Petri, O.M. Cap., Pastor St. Joseph's Church, Hays, Kans.

Picture: George Schaefer, A pioneer residing now in Chicago, Ill.

Picture: Andrew Schaefer, Chicago, Ill.

Picture: St. Joseph's Church and Monastery, St. Joseph's College on the left, and St. Anthony's Hospital in the back, Hays, Kans.

Picture: Group of Survivors of 1876-77-78 Immigrants now living in Hays, Kansas

Picture: Hays Deceased -
1-2. Frank and Amalia Schoenthaler; 3-4. Jacob and Christina Kiesner; 5-6. Mr. and Mrs. Nick Giebler; 7-8. Jacob and Anna Wiesner; 9-10. Joseph and Elizabeth Basgall; 11-12. Anton and Anna Eliz. Wasinger; 13-14. Jacob and Catharine Engel; 15-16. Balthasar and Gertrude Dreiling; 17-18. Mr. and Mrs. Carl Depperschmidt; 19-20. Andreas and Anna Meier; 21-22. Peter and Susanna Jacob; 23-24. Jacob and Anna Meier; 25-26. Michael and Maria Schmidt; 27-28. Justus and Margaretha Bissing; 29-30. Andreas and Magdalena Bahl; 31. Mrs. John Schlyer; 32. Dorothea Beilman; 33. Mrs. John H. Wasinger; 34. John F. Werth; 35. Paul Dinges; 36. Jacob Basgall

ST. ANTHONY'S HOSPITAL, HAYS, KANSAS

LOOKING down through the ages over the vast throng of human society we see suffering of every description that human nature has fallen heir to since the sin of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden - and listening, we hear their pleading cry to be relieved from pain - for help to face their trials with courage and fortitude.

Looking again we find the ever-ready helping hand reaching out to them, giving the sympathy that God has implanted in the heart of man for a brother in affliction. Always it has been thus, and looking up to Christ, the Son of God, Who, over nineteen hundred years ago took upon Himself human nature and became as one of us in all things, sin excepted, going about doing good, healing the sick, helping the poor, comforting the afflicted, we find our Grand Model - our Divine Exemplar, and as He has done so may we do also.

Coming back to our own time - with its present day facilities, we find hospitals in almost every city and town where the sick may be brought and nursed back to health, hope held out to the sorrowing, where the sunlight of God's love and mercy so often beams on the poor afflicted and where the sick poor are not turned away unaided. With this in mind the Sisters of St. Agnes of Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, who have been teaching in the schools of Ellis County since 1879 and desiring likewise to be of service to suffering humanity took up this noble work, assisted in the erection of a hospital by the sacrifices of this young and struggling community. To serve the needs of the surrounding territory, the Beach House, which was the property of the Sisters, was transformed into a hospital and dedicated by the Right Reverend J. F. Cunningham, D. D., Bishop of Concordia of blessed memory, and was named St. Anthony in honor of the great Franciscan saint. On August 25, 1909, seventeen years ago, the hospital doors were thrown open to all who came seeking aid, neither were the poor rejected from whom no remuneration could be received.

The first superintendent was Sister M. Cyrilla, who held this post for two years and at the end of that time was succeeded by Sister M. Corona, widely known throughout western Kansas for her great-hearted sympathy toward the sick and the afflicted. Her memory is as a benediction among these people for whom she gave ten years of faithful service. It was during this period that the need of a more spacious and modern hospital became a necessity in order to care for the ever increasing number of patients who applied for admission-hence there rose up the present stately building, modern in every way, with its well equipped operating rooms, X-ray department and laboratory. The present St. Anthony's Hospital easily accommodates fifty patients, seventy, if necessary.

Sister Corona was succeeded in the government of the institution by Sister M. Adelaide, the present superintendent, who is untiring in her efforts to make the hospital one of high class service. During the present administration, St. Anthony's Hospital was standardized and is recognized as Class A. Many other improvements have been made in and about the place, one being the fitting up of a nursery which is a little gem both for beauty and convenience.

There are twenty-four Sisters occupied in the hospital either as nurses or in the various activities connected with a hospital.

Much credit is due the Staff and the Associate Staff for their splendid co-operation with the corps of nurses and the hospital management, for the success that has attended St. Anthony's from the first.

The following figures will give some insight of the work done at St. Anthony's Hospital from its beginning in August, 1909, until August 1, of the present year. Thirteen thousand one hundred eighty patients were admitted and cared for, besides the many who came for aid in minor injuries and the like and whose names were not recorded in the register. Seven thousand two hundred one surgical operations were performed, and since the year 1917 nearly nine hundred babies claim St. Anthony's as their birth place.

The spiritual needs of the Catholic population of the hospital are taken care of by the Reverend Capuchin Fathers of St. Joseph's Monastery in Hays, and the Recording Angel must have much written down to the credit of these humble, zealous and self—sacrificing hospital chaplains.

As we all know, sometime or other we must answer the final summons, so at St. Anthony's the Angel of Death made its claims - but we are glad to say that the mortality rate has been exceptionally low. This alone ought to be a reason why a hospital is of great importance to a community.

At nearly all times St. Anthony's Hospital is filled to its capacity, so much so, that the addition of a new wing has become a pressing necessity. In the not too distant future we hope to see our hopes in this regard materialize.

Picture: of St. Anthony's Hospital, Hays, Kansas

Picture: Interior of St. Joseph's Church, Hays, Kansas

Transcribed from The Golden Jubilee of German-Russian Settlements of Ellis and Rush Counties, Kansas, August 31, September 1 and 2, 1926

Return to Index
Previous Section | Next Section
Golden Jubilee of the German-Russian Settlements of Ellis and Rush Counties, Kansas

Quick Index
Dedication | History | Journey | Agitation | Dissatisfaction | First | Largest | Religion | People | Education | German | Capuchin | Liebenthal | Catherine | Herzog | Munjor | Schoenchen | Pfeifer | Hays | Ellis | Gorham | St. Peter | Emmeram | Walker | Hyacinth | Loretto | Vincent | Antonino | Yocemento | Ness City | Cordia | Severin | Political | Convent


Name Index
A-C | D-F | G-H | I-K | L-P | Q-R | S | T-Z

Background and KSGenWeb logo were designed and are copyrighted by
Tom & Carolyn Ward
for the limited use of the KSGenWeb Project.
Permission is granted for use only on an official KSGenWeb page.

©1999 by Tom & Carolyn Ward


Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project