Return to Index
Previous Section | Next Section
GORHAM, on the Union Pacific Railroad seven miles east of Victoria, in Russell County, Kansas, was the first town to establish a congregation and thus separate from the church of Herzog with which its membership had been affiliated since 1878. The distance from Victoria and the difficulties of the roads, especially during tile winter season, was a deciding factor.
The movement for the new church commenced in 1893 and was sponsored by the following families: Bernard Huser, Philip Bicker, William Funke, John Baumrucker, Michael Baumrucker, Christ. Vonfeld, Patrick Crow, Mr. Fox. John Mills, Robert Mills, Connel Mills, Michael Witt, Thos. Boyle, Jas. Furthmeier, Joseph Kapp, Roman Witt, Anton Novak, Nick Polcyn, Joseph Polcyn, Frank Polcyn, Henry Dortland, Thomas Baier and Henry Baier.
The cornerstone of the building was laid in 1894. Owing to crop failures and general financial depression the work on the building proceeded but slowly and it was not till 1898 that the same was completed and the first services held on Christmas day, 1898.
The parish now has eighty families. Six sisters of the congregation of St. Joseph teach sixty to eighty children in the grade and high school. A fine six-room school house used as grade and high school was erected in 1922-23.
Rev. Fr. George Weber is the present pastor of St. Mary's Church.
Picture: Rev. Fr. Charles Weber, Pastor Catholic Church, Gorham, Kans.
Picture: Group of Immigrant Survivors, Gorham, Kansas
Picture: Catholic Church, Parsonage, Sisters' Residence and School, Gorham, Russell Co., Kansas
Transcribed from The Golden Jubilee of German-Russian Settlements of Ellis and Rush Counties, Kansas, August 31, September 1 and 2, 1926
Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project