Republic County Kansas

Ida Cemetery

Cemetery Information

 

Main Gate Ida Cemetery

Main Gate

North Side Gate Ida Cemetery

North Side Gate

North Side

North Side

Center

Center

South Side

South Side

     Ida Cemetery is located in the northern part of Republic County, Kansas between the towns of Munden and Narka. The official legal description is the west 400 feet of the south 730 feet of the N 1/2 of Section 25-01-W2 (Rose Creek TWP) in Republic County, Kansas. Driving directions from Munden, Kansas are 2 miles east and 1 1/2 miles north on the east side of the road.

     On August 24th, 1884, Annie Mary Bobinhouse deeded the original 3 acres of land to the Ida Cemetery Association for the purpose of a burial place for persons near the small town of Ida. This deed is recorded in the office of the Republic County Register of Deeds on page 214 of Book "O". It is interesting to note that the Charter & Articles of Incorporation of the Ida Cemetery Association were recorded in the same office on June 13, 1877, seven years before Annie Bobinhouse actually deeded the property. The original Articles of Incorporation provided for a five-member board that was to meet annually at "Seven O’clock P.M. on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in January." Any person could become a member of the Association by purchasing a lot in Ida Cemetery. The Articles of Incorporation could be altered or amended at any annual meeting by a three-fourths vote of all members present.

First elected board members were:

     A.W. Stone
     L. Wells
     Mirza Skinner
     V. B. McIntyre
     H.E. Royse

     All officers were of Ida in the County of Republic and State of Kansas.

     The Cemetery of Ida is the only remaining landmark of the once thriving community of Ida. In later years, when the railway came through south of the town of Ida, some of the buildings from Ida were moved to the town of Munden, Kansas and some to Hubbell, Nebraska.

IDA

     The now non-existent town of Ida was located in Rose Creek Township, section 23-24-25 according to the Republic County Atlas of 1884. Part of the village was on the farm of William Lugenbeel. One street was even named "William Street." The town was laid out in the early 1870’s. W.F. Bobenhouse, a carpenter and builder, put up many buildings in Ida as late as 1881. The Mattison Brothers had a mercantile store in Ida in 1879. Schools, churches, lodges and many homes made up the town. In 1880, the Grant House of Ida, kept by P.F. Grant was fast advancing in public favor as a first-class hotel. The Stage stopped in front of the mercantile store.

(From The Republic County History published in 1964 by the Republic County Historical Society)

Submitted by Joelle Blecha rethablecha@hotmail.com. Prepared as part of her 2003-2004 4-H citizenship project.

 

Alphabetical Listing

[A-C] [D-Hi] [Ho-M] [N-S] [T-Z, Misc] [Unidentified]


Background and KSGenWeb logo were designed and are copyrighted by
Tom & Carolyn Ward
for the limited use of the KSGenWeb Project.
Permission is granted for use only on an official KSGenWeb page.

©2004, Tom & Carolyn Ward


Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project
KSGenWeb
Archives
Return to
Republic County