IRVIN SMITH, one of the best known pharmacists and druggists of Parsons. Kansas, was born in Champaign county, Ohio, in 1846. His father died when he was a mere infant, and when he was six years old his mother also died. Being the youngest of 10 children, Irvin made his home principally with his brother, A. J. Smith, who removed to Wabash, Indiana, when Irvin was twelve years old. In June, 1865, Irvin was apprenticed to Harvey Murray, proprietor of a drug store and pharmacy at that place.
Completing his apprenticeship in 1868, Mr. Smith came west to Neosho county, Kansas, and the following year purchased the drug business of Dr. Kennedy, at Erie, which he carried on successfully for two years. In 1871 he removed his stock to Parsons, which was then in its infancy, and located in a building near the corner of Johnson and Central avenues, just opposite his present location. A hotel then occupied the corner.
Two years later (1873) Mr. Smith retired from the drug business, temporarily, and spent several years in agricultural pursuits in Neosho County, where he owns a fine farm, and has one equally fine in Labette county. In 1876 he returned to Parsons, and worked as clerk in a drug store until 1882, when he again went into business for himself and has so continued up to the present time. He opened a drug store at the same old stand in Parsons, and removed in 1896 to the Kennedy Block. About a year later he moved to the Pierson Building, where he carried on business for three years. For the past year he has occupied his present building, at No. 1802 Johnson avenue. He employs two competent clerks as assistants, and presides himself over the pharmacist's desk, giving personal attention to the filling of prescriptions, etc. His store room is 20 by 60 feet in dimensions, and is well stocked with pure drugs, apothecaries' supplies and the thousand and one things found in any up-to-date drug store.
Mr. Smith has been twice married. His first marriage occurred in Erie, where he was united with C. B. Kennedy, a daughter of Dr. Kennedy. She died many years ago, leaving two children as a legacy to her husband. They are: Dr. Albert, of Parsons, and, Nellie, a young lady still at home. Mr. Smith contracted a second marriage, being united with Mrs. Adelia Smith, nee Evans, a native of Ohio. They have one daughter, Maude, and reside in a handsome residence in the First Ward.
In politics Mr. Smith is a Republican, but has never been prevailed upon to accept office. Contrary to the general rule, he is no member of any fraternal organization, nor has he allied himself with any church denomination; he entertains liberal views on religious subjects. Combining thrift and energy, he has amassed for himself a handsome competency, and is recognized as a man of good business methods. He is peculiarly fitted for his present occupation, and faithfully executes the wishes of a large number of patrons. Two of his brothers also came west, but died in Kansas a short time afterward.
Transcribed from History of Labette County, Kansas and its Representative Citizens, ed. & comp. by Hon. Nelson Case. Pub. by Biographical Publishing Co., Chicago, Ill. 1901
Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project