JOHN J. PIERSON, a well-known citizen of Parsons, Labette county, Kansas, a portrait of whom is shown on the opposite page, is the proprietor of a large wholesale grocery establishment located on North Central street. He is one of the foremost business men of the city, and is also largely identified with other enterprises.
Mr. Pierson was born in Hancock county, Illinois, in 1846, and at an early age went to Iowa, where his early manhood was mostly spent in Keokuk county on a farm. He moved west May 25, 1869, and staked out a claim in Labette county, near Altamont. The following winter he worked in Steele Bros.' sawmill, and in the spring of 1870 became associated in the mercantile pursuits with W. K. Hayes. Their store building was 14 by 16 feet in dimensions, and their stock was hauled from Fort Scott. The firm name continued as Hayes & Pierson until 1873, and then became Hayes, Pierson & Dinsmore. In 1875 Mr. Pierson bought out his partners and became the sole owner. He continued in the retail business until January, 1894, and since that time has conducted a wholesale business in groceries and notions. In 1893 he built a three-story building on North Central street, - the dimensions being 60 by 90 feet. The entire three stories and basement are used for his business, with the exception of a part of the second floor, which is used for offices. Mr. Pierson employs a corps of 10 men, three of whom are kept constantly on the road soliciting trade. He carries a complete line of goods and sells in five counties, his business being continually on the increase.
Mr. Pierson was united in marriage, in 1880, with Augusta Braunsdorf, of Parsons, and they have reared one son, Lloyd J., who travels in the interest of his father. In politics the subject of this sketch is a Republican, and has been a delegate to two congressional conventions. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. He was one of the original stockholders in the old Parsons Savings Bank, and when this institution was reorganized as the Parsons Commercial Bank, in 1878, he was made a director. He has served as secretary of the board of directors since 1880. He is, and has been, a director in the Inter-state Mortgage & Trust Company since its organization, in 1888.
Transcribed from History of Labette County, Kansas and its Representative Citizens, ed. & comp. by Hon. Nelson Case. Pub. by Biographical Publishing Co., Chicago, Ill. 1901
Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project