DAVID H. MARTIN, a successful merchant living in Edna, Labette county, Kansas, came to this county in October, 1873. He was born at Saint Clairsville, Belmont county, Ohio, in 1866, and is a son of F. G. and Abigail (Harris) Martin.
F. G. Martin was born in Pennsylvania, and later moved to Ohio, where he was engaged in mercantile pursuits. He also carried on farming, and held various county offices. Upon coming to Labette county, he located in Elm Grove township, one mile north of Edna, where he bought the southeast quarter of section 17, township 34, range 19. Later he retired, his last active work being in 1892-93, when he served as deputy county clerk under his son. During that time he lived in Oswego. His sight has been failing in the past few years, but notwithstanding that he is hale and hearty. He married Abigail Harris, who was reared in Ohio. She is also living in Edna. Six children were born to them: David H.; Francis W., who lives in Edna; and Claude, Wilbur, Annie and Minnie, deceased.
Francis W. Martin, the brother of our subject, was born at St. Clairsville, Ohio, in 1855, and assisted his father on the farm until he reached the age of sixteen years. He attended school, and later taught school in Labette county two or three years. He assisted considerably in clerical work at the court house in Oswego, having served as deputy county treasurer. He was postmaster at Edna from 1889 till 1894. He married Ida Keeler, September 23, 1877, in Labette county. She was born in New York, but reared in Illinois, and located in Labette county in 1873. She is a daughter of Charles Keeler, who is also a resident of this county. Mrs. Martin served as county superintendent of schools during 1895-96, while they were living at Oswego.
David H. Martin, the subject of this sketch, was reared in Labette county, where he taught school three or four years. In 1888-89 he was deputy county clerk under W. J. Millikin, and also served as clerk during 1892-93. During 1890-91 he taught school at Altamont, and elsewhere, until elected county clerk. He then was the editor of the Parsons Independent until June, 1894, when he accepted the position of assistant chief clerk at the state penitentiary at Lansing, Kansas, under Warden S. W. Chaise. He was there thirteen months, when he returned to Labette county, and worked for four months in the county treasurer's office. Being affected with rheumatism, he gave up the position and recuperated until February, 1897. He then resumed the old position at the penitentiary under Warden Landis, remaining there until January 1, 1900. He then began his present business at Edna, dealing in dry goods, groceries, shoes, queensware, etc. He has an entirely new stock of goods, and occupies a building 60 by 22 feet. He employs ore assistant, and does a large business. Mr. Martin owns 160 acres of farm land near Edna, and some town lots. He is very prosperous, and is a superior business man, being honest and upright in his dealings with all.
Mr. Martin married H. Lesley Burns, at Chetopa, Labette county, Kansas, November 18, 1890. She is a daughter of Patrick Burns, and was reared in Indiana, coming to Labette county in 1885. Mr. Martin is a member of the People's party, and was recently elected city clerk. Fraternally, he is a member of the M. W. of A., of which he is venerable consul. In religious views, he is liberal. Mr. Martin has always taken a prominent part in the development of Labette county, and is highly respected in the community.
Transcribed from History of Labette County, Kansas and its Representative Citizens, ed. & comp. by Hon. Nelson Case. Pub. by Biographical Publishing Co., Chicago, Ill. 1901
Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project