On January 11, 1869, a call signed by about 20 prominent citizens of Chetopa and Oswego was furnished for publication in the Advance and Register, for a meeting to be held on January 21st, for the purpose of organizing a Bible society. At that time quite a large number of the citizens of the county met at the office of Dr. W. S. Newlon, in Oswego, and adopted a constitution, and elected the following permanent officers of the society: Rev. T. H. Canfield, president; J. L. Taft, vice-president; W. M. Johnson, secretary; Dr. C. M. Gilky. treasurer; and also a board of five directors. Adjourned to meet in Chetopa, on February 7th following.
At this time a meeting was held in Spaulding's Hall, at 3 o'clock P. M., at which a large congregation gathered. Addresses were made by Rev. T. H. Canfield, Rev. C. R. Rice, and others. A subscription of something over $40 for the benefit of the society was taken up. This was the commencement of an organization which was kept up for a number of years, holding its meetings somewhat frequently, and doing very much toward furnishing the new communities with Bibles. After a few years, when the growth of several of the towns of the county had been such that each felt the need of separate organizations, the county society was discontinued, and city organizations were formed.
The following account of the organization of the Oswego Young Men's Christian Association is taken from an address by Fred C. Wheeler, delivered at the second anniversary of the organization of the association :
"On Saturday evening, December 8. 1883, in response to invitations that morning received through the postoffice from him, there were gathered at the home of Nelson Case, in Oswego, Rev. John Elliott, Rev. H. McBirney, Fred Lee, Chas. Carpenter, M. Chidester, M. E. Diehl, Thos. O'Halloran, W. F. Thorne, and F. C. Wheeler. Mr. Case made a statement showing the need of such an organization especially adapted to reach young men, and proposed the organization of a Young Men's Christian Association. All present concurred in the views expressed, and a committee was appointed to consider and report at same place on December 12, to which time we adjourned.
"On December 12, Harry and Will Mitchell, Will Skilling, Chas. Carpenter, Rev. H. McBirney, Thos. O'Halloran, Mr. Case, and F. C. Wheeler met as per adjournment. A draft of a constitution was presented, and the matter of organization was definitely decided on. It was voted to adjourn to meet at the M. E. church, on Tuesday evening. January 1, 1884, to complete the organization. On the evening of that date some six or eight met at the appointed place, adopted the uniform constitution provided by the national association, and organized by electing Nelson Case, president; F. C. Wheeler, vice-president; Chas. Carpenter, secretary; and Harry Mitchell, treasurer. The necessary committees were also appointed."
During its earlier years the association did more aggressive work, perhaps, than it performed at a later period. A Bible-training class was maintained for two or three years and did very efficient work. The young men for some time had a literary organization connected with the association. A boys' branch was organized at the opening of the second year of the work, and in that alone enough work was done to justify the organization of the association. Some years ago all outfit was purchased for a gymnasium, and a room was kept open during the subsequent life of the association. A salaried general secretary was employed a few months at one time, but with that exception the work was done entirely by the home members. For a number of years the association was somewhat intimately connected with the Library Association. Since its organization it had the following presidents and secretaries: 1884-85 - president, Nelson Case: secretary, Charles T. Carpenter. 1886 - Charles T. Carpenter, president; Howard Merriam, secretary. 1887 - Howard Merriam and W. F. Thorne, presidents: F. G. Mitchell, secretary: 1888-89 - Nelson Case, president; W. G. Mitchell and W. A. Bibbitt, secretaries. 1890 - A. B. Kegg, president; Ed. M. Baldwin, secretary. 1891 - W. W. Flora, president; H. H. Beard, secretary. 1892 - W. W. Flora, president; Fred W. Beymer and W. B. Covalt, secretaries, 1893-94 Dr. K. P. Ashley, president.
Those who had been principally interested in the work, and on whom the responsibility of carrying it on largely rested, found it more of a burden than they thought should be borne for the results that the association was at the time accomplishing. Some of the work, which it had originally done, could now be performed through the young people's societies of the various churches. It was decided to dissolve the association early in 1895.
The Parsons Y. M. C. A. was organized December 5, 1885, with C. F. Hodgman, president: Cyrus G. Emerson, vice-president; W. H. Martin and Thomas Clark, secretaries; and F. H. Foster, treasurer. The following year it was incorporated, and the following officers elected: M. E. Crowell, president: E. C. Read, vice-president: A. H. Whitmarsh, secretary; and F. H. Foster, treasurer. A ladies' auxiliary was organized early in the history of the association. and rendered valuable aid in furnishing rooms and giving entertainments. The most of the time during its life, the association maintained a paid general secretary. The following persons served in that capacity; Chas. L. Helmick was the first, and served from August, 1887, to February, 1889: James R. Smith succeeded him, and served to July, 1889; T. R. Breese, B. C. McQuestion, J. W. Shingley, W. Russell and ___ Hopper since then successively held the office. A reading-room, bath-rooms, as well as reception and parlor-rooms, were provided, and much good work was accomplished.
Perhaps about the same account might he given of the efforts at maintaining an association in Parsons, as has already been given of the Oswego association. On account of the large number of railroad men at Parsons, the needs of an association at that point were more apparent than at any other place in the county. But the expense of maintaining it was greater than the receipts would cover, and a debt was the result. The dissolution of the association followed almost as a matter of course. Charles Husband was the general secretary for some time before the association disbanded.
During the month of August, 1886, steps were taken looking toward the formation of an association at Chetopa, and on September 20, 1886, a number of the members of the Oswego and Parsons associations visited Chetopa and assisted in the formation of this organization. At that time the following officers were elected: President, W. A. Shanklin; vice-president, W. H. Pinkerton; secretary, George Campbell; treasurer, T. O. Breckenridge. For a few months in 1889 John G. Lear was employed as general secretary for this and the Oswego association, giving about half of his time to each. This is the only time salaried officer was employed. W. S. Henry was president the second year of the organization and F. M. Smith the third year; J. P. Slaughter was the second secretary, and was succeeded by H. F. Stewart. The association a part of the time kept open a reading-room and conducted various lines of meetings. The association at this place ceased work even earlier than did those at Oswego and Parsons.
On January 2, 1886, at the Methodist church in Oswego, an organization of this association was effected. It kept up its work about five years, and then for some time its members continued in an unofficial way to keep up the work. The association has never been reorgainzed. A training-class and a Bible class were conducted by it for several years; also a girls' Bible class. The association had the following presidents: Mrs. Allenette Cook, Mrs. Mary E. Case, Miss Sarah Crane, Miss Blanche Case and Miss Eunice Crane.
In giving an account of the work of the Sunday-schools of the county I separate it from the account of other church work, not because I consider them a separate Institution front the church, properly speaking, but because, especially in the early work in the county, there were many union schools, connected with no church in particular, and also because the Sunday-school work is one of the most important and best developed departments of church work, and is entitled to special mention as such.
I will first give an account of the schools which have been at least a part of the time classed as union (although some of them might properly be spoken of as denominational), and will then mention the denominational schools, connecting those of each denomination wherever situated in the county, instead of classifying by localities. No one can realize more than I do the imperfect history which I here present of these schools, but all the information is given which I have been able to gather. It is regretted that parties might have furnished more definite information have failed to do so. One reason why this information is not accessible and has not been furnished, is that in many instances no record whatever has been kept of the school work, and in many other cases records that were kept at the time have been misplaced or lost. Some of this information has been furnished me from people's memory, and of course contains more or less errors, but in the main, so far as it goes, I think it is as reliable as could be expected. All the data that is given respecting union schools has reference to their work prior to 1893, for no facts have been furnished regarding what they have done since that date. From what is here set forth in succeeding pages, some one may be able to construct a more perfect account of this important department of work.
The first Sunday-school in the county was organized by the early settlers at Chetopa, before the war. In a letter referring to these early times Dr. Lisle says: "Mr. Bryan organized a Sunday-school sometime in 1858, which was kept up most of the time until the Rebellion." The Mr. Bryan here referred to is Rev. J. E. Bryan, then a minister of the M. E. church South, in charge of the work of the circuit including Chetopa, and in 1871 pastor of the M. E. church of Oswego, and still more recently a practicing attorney in this county. This Sunday-school was held in the school-house, an account of the building of which is given in a preceding chapter devoted to educational work in the county.
After Chetopa began to resettle at the close of the war, the first Sunday-school to be organized was in the summer of 1867, in a small frame building standing on the southeast corner of First and Maple streets, sometimes called the "Cabinet Shop," but more generally designated "Bachelors' Hall." G. H. Hard was the superintendent of this school. Later, arrangements were made for holding the school in the Ephraim Doudna store building. The school was closed during the winter, and opened in the spring of 1868. James H. Crichton, Sr., father of the attorney who has lived there so long, spent a part of the summers of 1867 and 1868 at Chetopa, and assisted in superintending the school. The first Sunday in September, 1868, the school having previously been very poorly classified and organized, a reorganization was had, and Edward Johnson was elected superintendent; F. H. Mendenhall, assistant; and D. J. Doolen, secretary. Early in 1869 J. M. Cavaness was elected superintendent, and continued to serve until the organization of the denominational schools, in 1870.
The first Sunday-school in Parsons was organized in April, 1871, by the joint efforts of Rev. G. W. Pye and Rev. H. H. Cambern. It was started and for some time maintained as a union school. It had a hard time to maintain an existence. With no permanent place of meeting, driven from vacant store buildings, offices and shops, as they were needed for other purposes, it finally found a somewhat permanent and comfortable home in Cary's Hall. T. C. Cory was its first superintendent. After a few months of service he resigned, and J. E. Wilkes succeeded him. In January, 1872. E. B. Stevens was elected superintendent; M. G. Brown was elected in 1873, and M. Wallace in 1874. During a part of this time some schools which had started as denominational schools were merged with the union. On the organization of the denominational schools this school ceased.
The Sunday-school work in Oswego dates from the early spring of 1867, when a Sunday-school was organized in the log cabin owned and then occupied by Dr. J. F. Newlon. It stood at the northeast corner of block 26, just south of where he afterwards made his home. William Herbaugh was elected superintendent. It was kept open only during the summer, and was reorganized the following spring. It met in such vacant houses as could be secured, holding scarcely more than two or three Sundays consecutively in any one place. In the fall of 1868, when the building was erected which was afterwards donated to the county for a court-house, the Sunday-school found therein a somewhat permanent home. From this school the denominational schools were established as follows: The Methodist in 1868, the Congregational and Presbyterian in 1870, and the Baptist in 1871.
Concord District, No. 16. - The schoolhouse in this district is now in North township, but when first built was in Neosho. In the summer of 1867 Mrs. Owens organized a Sunday-school in their house on the northeast quarter of section 5, which was maintained during that summer, and when the school-house Was built a reorganization was had, locating it in that building, where it was continued for a number of years.
New Hope District, No. 15. - In 1869 there was a log cabin about half a mile north of where Matthewson now stands, known as the Sweet school-house. Rev. R. P. Bukey preached there frequently. In that house was started the first Sunday-school in that part of the county. Wm. McDown was its superintendent. It was not long until the new schoolhouse was built. A Sunday-school was conducted in this district during the summer months for a number of years, commencing with 1869. It was generally conducted as a Methodist Episcopal school. W. D. Bevans superintended most of the time. W. T. Carter and Rev. J. A. Harvey were also among those in charge of the work.
Hopkins District, No. 62. - From 1875 to 1882 a prosperous Sunday-school was conducted in this district. W. D. Bevans was one of its principal workers, and a part of the time its superintendent.
Lone Elm District, No. 21. - Sunday-school has been started here occasionally, but has not been regularly maintained.
Hard Scrabble District. No. 46. - The effort to maintain a Sunday school in this district was not so persistent as to meet with good success.
Township Association. - In 1876 an association was formed in this township, but was not effective the following year, and the various schools in the township met and reorganized a township association on April 7, 1878, electing J. M. C. Reed president and S. L. Obenchain secretary. Since then the association has held annual meetings, sometimes more frequently.
Woods District, No. 18. - Organized in 1878. Superintendents: S. Stephenson. N. T. Chambers, T. J. Van Horn and F. A. Edwards.
Spring Hill District, No. 22. - Organized in 1874. Superintendents: Samuel Cherry, J. W. Scott, Messrs. Milligan, Wilson, Chambers and Millard.
Heacock, District., No. 32. - Organized in 1875. Mrs. Anna Heacock was superintendent for several years; afterward I. P. Merrill.
Franklin District, No. 55 - Organized May, 1870, and maintained during the summer months every year since. Superintendents: G. W. Goodman, J. Harlan, E. H. Taylor, ___ Brandon, H. McIntosh, E. H. Wells, S. L. Obenchain. T. J. Van Horn, and Robert Toles.
Prairie Valley District, No. 31. - Organized in May, 1871, and maintained since. Superintendents: Philip La Cornu, William Burdit, I. G. Duval, J. M. C. Reed, R. Brown, E. C. Parker, W. B. Truax, and J. N. Hardman. For two or three years two schools were maintained at this place - one a union and one a Methodist South; one met in the forenoon and one in the afternoon.
Salem District, No. 42. - School was organized in this district in 1871, and has been kept open every summer since. Alex. Ables was its first superintendent. James Venable, Amos Welch and Charles Birt have been effective workers and frequently have superintended.
Bradford District, No. 39. - A school was organized in this district in the house of Merit Mason, in 1870, and has since been maintained nearly every year during the summer months. Among its superintendents have been J. C. Bradford, Frank J. Smith, and T. J. Rich.
Mount Zion District, No. 36. - In the fall of 1867 the neighbors got together and built a log house on the northwest quarter of section 5, in township 32, of range 18, in which to hold religious services and other meetings of a public character. A Sunday-school was organized in this house in the spring of 1868. This was the first Sunday-school in the township. Harry Beggs was superintendent. The school has been maintained ever since. In the spring of 1871 it was reorganized as a Methodist Episcopal school, which relationship has continued, that district being one of the points where that denomination has regularly held services. Rev. E. M. Bussart, William Johns, C. L. Darling, S. C. Hocket, Phelix Oliphant and Perry Nixon are some of those who have been prominent workers in this school.
Four-Mile District, No. 38. - The first school-house in this district was a little log building which stood in the middle of the road at the northwest corner of section 22. From this it was known as "the little log schoolhouse in the lane." In this a Sunday-school was organized in 1870 with J. M. Armstrong, superintendent. It was reorganized in the spring of 1871, with Jacob Masters, superintendent. The school was maintained till 1883.
Harmony Grove District, No. 30. - A Sunday-school was organized in this district in the spring of 1870. with Mr. Pierce, superintendent, which has continued until the present - a part of the time running all the year, and a part of the time closing in the winter. It was first held in Mr. Gibson's dwelling-house on the northwest quarter of section 30. William Dick, F. H. Dienst and D. D. Lindsey were early and efficient workers here.
Timber Hill District, No. 37. - This Sunday-school was organized in a log school-house on the southeast corner of the Timber Hill town-site, in the spring of 1870, with Mr. Baker, superintendent. Some years ago it was organized as a German Methodist school, and as such still maintains its existence and does good work. The Hookey, Breshler and Schrader families have been efficient workers,
Maple Grove District, No. 102. - This Sunday-school was organized on February 5, 1882, with J. T. McKee, superintendent, and George W. Hierronymus, assistant. It has not had a continuous existence - some years kept up, and at other times has remained dormant.
Baptist Union Sunday-school was organized in the Baptist church at section 23, in 1877, and was maintained there as a union school until the church was removed to Dennis.
Sylvan Dale District, No. 79. - A School was organized in this district in 1872, with George Anderson, superintendent. The next spring it was reorganized with J. D. McKeever superintendent, which position he held for a number of years. S. Bailey was an active worker in this school while he lived in the neighborhood. The school moved to Dennis in 1883.
Pleasant Hill District, No. 77. - A Sunday-school was organized in the new school-house in this district in the spring of 1873, which was maintained in the place till the completion of
Bethel Chapel, on the southeast quarter of section 30, in township 31, range 19 (Walton township), in 1889, when it was removed to that place. It has always been recognized as a Methodist school. George W. Make, James Woodyard and a Mr. Brown were early superintendents.
Muddy Corner District, No. 76. - A little box school-house stood on the southwest corner of section 24, township 31, range 17, in which a Sunday-school was organized in 1872. A new school-house was thereafter built on the southeast quarter of section 35, and named
St. John's, in which a Sunday-school has been maintained ever since. Israel Foster, I. B. Swart and Adam Funk were earliest workers in this school.
Twin Mound District No. 93. - J. R. Douglas, John Carson and others were leading workers in a Sunday-school organized in this district in 1873. It did well for several years, but after that was maintained only at irregular times.
Osage Township Sunday-School Association. - This association has been maintained the longest and has been conducted with the most enthusiasm of any of the various township associations in the county. During 1871 a picnic was held on section 7, township 32, range 18. In 1872 an organization was formed and a picnic held on the old campground on the Leroy Dick farm, in section 29. township 31, range 18. When the county association commenced to organize township associations for the purpose of holding conventions to discuss Sunday-school topics, this was one of the first townships to respond. Contrary to the wish of the county officers, however, the local workers insisted on keeping the picnic idea in the foreground, and it has ever maintained the ascendency which it early acquired. In 1878 the ground near the northeast corner of section 20, on William Dick's farm, was secured as permanent picnic grounds, and there every summer large crowds, frequently reaching into thousands, congregate and spend a day in the woods. This gathering has proved to be a favorite resort for local politicians, giving them, as it does, a fine opportunity to meet many whose support they think it expedient to secure. The picnic is held regularly on the last Wednesday in July, and the association holds its meeting for the discussion of Sunday-school interests at Harmony Grove school-house each spring, on the call of the president. The association is chartered, and has its grounds nicely improved. Some 18 schools, a part of which are situated in Montgomery and Neosho counties, are connected with this association.
Bell Mound District, No. 99. - A Sunday-school was organized here in 1879, with M. F. Wakefield superintendent. It has ever since maintained its existence.
Mound Valley District, No. 40. - A Sunday-school was organized at this place in the summer of 1870, with Joseph Wilmoth as its first superintendent. It was kept up during the summer of each year, and sometimes during the winter. until the organization of the denominational schools, about 1880. J. H. Tibbits, H. W. Savage, the Coleman families and others were active workers in the school.
McCormick District, No. 19. - A Sunday-school was organized in this district in the spring of 1870, with John Claspill, superintendent, and has been kept up with a good degree of regularity since then.
Mount Triumph District, No. 63. - A Sunday-school was organized in this district in 1883, with Mr. Robinson, superintendent. Sometimes run as a union, sometimes as a Methodist Episcopal, sometimes as a United Brethren, but several years ago was reorganized as a Protestant Methodist school.
Caldwell District, No. 82. - Organized in 1882. Among its superintendents have been David Caldwell, J. B. Cosatt, J. Covalt, J. J. Decker, and Mrs. McIntosh.
Hiatt District, No. 47. - Organized in the spring of 1874. Superintendents: R. Birt, Mr. Baker, and Wm. Campbell.
Pleasant Valley District, No. 48. - Organized in 1871. Superintendents: Tobe H. Taylor, James Morning, A. Gager, Frank Crawford, Lon Kiter, John Smith, Anna Arnold and David Beyle.
Labette District, No. 10. - Organized Janunary 15, 1871. Superintendents: R. Baker, G. K. Sipple and C. Fentress.
Liberty District, No. 17. - Organized In 1870. Superintendents: Mr. McIntosh, G. K. Sipple, Silas Fentress, G. L. Whitnah, G. W. Giton, E. L. Pugh, J. C. Christian and R. H. Thresher.
Montana District, No. 13. - The first school in Montana township was in Montana district, No. 13. The first school organized in this district was in 1868; H. M. Minor was its superintendent. It was reorganized in the spring of 1869, with Charles Gray, superintendent. Its sessions were held in an old store building a part of the time, and when they had preaching the Sunday-school services were held in the same building where the preaching took place. The location was changed from time to time, according to their opportunity to secure room. Mr. Gray remained superintendent for a number of years. A. Gager was one of the early workers in the school. Since Mr. Gray's time, among the superintendents the following have served the school: Thomas Clark, Rev. S. W. Griffin, W. F. Schoch, B. Lanham, D. Beyle, O. E. Woods and Wm. Woods.
Shiloh District, No. 8. - Organized 1870. Superintendents: Geo. Fagan, Andy Livesay, Nathaniel Woods, Lewis W. Crain, W. J. Webb, J. R. Youmans, Thos. Clinton, Z. Atchinson, S. D. Holmes and Mrs. Elnor E. Pierce.
Oak Grove District, No. 24. - This school was organized in the log church in the spring of 1871, with Wm. Herbaugh, superintendent. The following year Mr. Bagby acted as superintendent. In 1876 it was organized in the new stone school-house. with A. Brown, superintendent. Since then the superintendents have been P. S. Hughart, J. W. Brown, J. M. Ricker, and J. W. Park.
Stice District, No. 2. - A Sunday-school was organized in this district in 1877; Andrew Kaho, superintendent. It has had but an irregular existence.
Clover District, No. 23. - A Sunday-school has been kept in this district at intervals far quite a number of years, but it has not been continuous enough to be of great force.
Campbell District, No. 57. - A Sunday-school was held in this school-house during the summer months during a part of the "seventies," but in later years no attempt has been made to keep it up.
Woodruff District, No. 101. - Soon after the building of the school-house in this district a Sunday-school was organized, with S. N. Woodruff, superintendent, but it was maintained only a year or two.
Stover District, No. 29. - In the summer of 1870 a Sunday-school was organized in a small house on the southeast quarter of section 17, but removed to the school-house as soon as it was built, and with more or less regularity, has been maintained nearly ever since. It has generally been known as a union school, although the Methodists, as a rule, have furnished the larger part of the force that has done the work. Among its superintendents have been I. W. Patrick, George Pfaff, John and Jerry Winbigler. The Seventh Day Adventists have also maintained a school at this point a part of the time.
Newell District, No. 71. - The first Sunday-school in this vicinity was organized in the McIntosh house, in the spring of 1870. A lady rode on horseback to Chetopa and secured Bibles and song-books for the school. During its stay in this place it had no regular superintendent, but different members were appointed from Sunday to Sunday to take charge. The school was taken to the school-house as soon as it was completed, where it has been maintained for the most of the time since. It has had for superintendents among others the following: A. B. Hammer, Josiah Rayburn, G. D. Fellows, Mr. Young, James Paxton and J. M. Magee.
Bowman District, No. 12. - Organized in 1872, and maintained only a part of the time since.
Maple Grove District, No. 54. - This school has had an existence more or less of the time since 1873, and has had among its superintendents Joseph Scott, Sallie Bottenfield, J. L. Williams, and John Richardson.
Pioneer District, No. 59. - The Sunday-school in this district was organized in May, 1871, with B. F. Jones, superintendent. Among other superintendents were S. M. Canaday, Joseph Vance and George Geer.
Rayburn District, No. 52. - The Sunday-school in this district was first organized in May, 1871, in the claim cabin of D. S. Morrison, on the southeast quarter of section 14, and was moved to the school-house when it was built. It was maintained for several years. Among its early superintendents were Jacob Hagerman, Henry Story and George Hildreth.
Noble District, No. 89. - This Sunday-school was organlzed in April, 1874. Josiah Rayburn, Michael Noel, George Hildreth and Henry Sleath successively superintended it.
Bell District, No. 91. - A Sunday-school was organized in this school-house in the spring of 1875. B. Johnson, J. Bell, Sr., and J. Williams were early superintendents.
Janes District, No. 95. - This school was organized in April, 1879. Homer Hulse, Milo Hildreth and James Curnutt superintended it.
Altamont District, No. 43. - A Sunday-school was organized in a store building in Elston in 1870, with Martin Gore as superintendent. At the same time a school was conducted in Major Hokes' house, on the southeast quarter of section 36, Labette township, with Thomas D. Bickerman as superintendent. The workers connected with these schools went to make up the union school which was organized at Altamont in 1871. It was maintained until the organization of the various denominational schools, when the union schools ceased. Among those who superintended the school were: A. B. Hammer, James Perry, William Thompson, I. N. Hamilton, Perry Daniels, S. J. Hershbarger and Daniel Ferrier.
Richland District, No. In 1874 a Sunday-school was organized in a log house on Ola Olson's claim, by J. H. Tibbits, and he was elected superintendent. The cabin being very small and uncomfortable, an arbor of poles and brush was made. in which the school was held during the summer. A school-house was built the next winter, and in the spring the Sunday school was reorganized in it, with J. H. Tibbits, superintendent.
Emmons District, No. 84. - This Sunday-school was organized in May, 1871, at the house of James Sweet, where it was kept till the spring of 1873, when it was organized at the school-house, where it has been held ever since. Buel Crone was the first superintendent, and B. H. Sharp also filled that position in later years. James Sweet and Joseph Kearns have been active and efficient workers.
Dersser District, No. 51. - Organized in 1876, with James Bennett superintendent, and maintained up to the time of the organization of the Congregationalists and Methodists.
McKennan District, No. 97. - R. V. Shipp, Mrs. McKennan and James Hunt were associated with others in the organization of the school in this district, in 1877. Among the superintendents of this school have been R. V. Shipp, Mr. Mills, Ella Hunt, James Hunt and Mrs. Mary McKennan
Trenton District, No. 67. - In the spring of 1871 a Sunday-school was organized in the house of John McClintick, where it was maintained until the erection of the school-house in this district, when it was removed to that place. J. Hart, Jacob French, W. J. Millikin and E. B. Baldwin have superintended it at different times.
Snow Hill District. No. 15. - A school was maintained at this point for a number of years, commencing in 1870. W. J. Herrod was at one time superintendent and an active worker in the school.
Blackford District, No. 6. - As early as 1874 a school was organized at this point, and maintained thereafter with a fair degree of regularity. Mr. Geyer was its first superintendent; W. J. Millikin and George Ash have also superintended.
Valeda. - A union school was organized in the Congregational church, in the spring of 1887, since which time it has been regularly maintained during the summer. W. J. Millikin was its first superintendent, following him there have been William Preston, V. Wallingford, Samuel Nelson and Mrs. McKennan.
Lieb District, No. 85. - Organized in the spring of 1873. George H. Goodwin and W. J. Millikin were early superintendents.
Ripon District, No. 49. - A Sunday-school was organized in March, 1870, in the house of Dr. D. P. Lucas, on the northwest quarter of section 12, township 35, with Rachel Lucas, superintendent, and afterwards was held in a house belonging to Robert Marrs, standing on the southwest quarter of section 10; and was also held a part of the time in J. H. Jones, house, on the northeast quarter of section 11. Thos. Summerfield followed Mrs. Lucas as superintendent. In 1872 it was reorganized in the school-house, and Thomas H. Bruner was superintendent; other superintendents, T. D. Bickham, Mrs. Cook, Henry Faurot and Mrs. B. M. Smith.
Starr District, No. 50. - Organized in 1871. Wesley Faurot was one of the leading workers in the Sunday-school since its organization.
Ellis District, No. 45. - In 1870 a Sunday-school was taught in Simon Bradfield's house, on section 4, and a part of the time in Thomas Dowell's, on the southwest quarter of section 24. From the time the school-house was built, a school has been maintained most of the time during the summer months. J. B. Ellis and Timothy Kay superintended a good share of the time.
Rose Hill District, No. 109. - Organized in 1885. Mrs. Lyda Edmundson, Jesse Edmundson, Mrs. Anna Bickham, Rev. A. Allison and Mrs. I. C. Wall successively superintended.
Edna District, No. 73. - In 1872 a Sunday-school was held in Peter Goodwin's granary, on the northwest quarter of section 21, with George Goodwin, superintendent. In April, 1873, the school was reorganized in the new schoolhouse, with W. J. Millikin, superintendent; he was followed by W. R. Lackey, Owen Wimmer and Mr. Mills. The school was always a prosperous one, and continued in active existence until the organization of the deminational schools.
Valley District, No. 72. - A prosperous Sunday-school has been maintained in this district a good portion of the time for a number of years. Mrs. C. W. Gray was a faithful worker, and superintended the school a part of the time.
Foland District, No. 70. - A Sunday-school was organized in this school-house in 1873. Chandler Stevenson, Samuel C. Coulter, Mrs. G. W. Leap, J. F. Holman, John Foland and Samuel McCullough are among the number closely identified with the school's growth Samuel C. Coulter, A. H. Mickey, G. W. Jenkins and J. F. Holman were some of the superintendents. The school has not been kept up since 1888.
Baylor District No. 98. - As early as 1870 Samuel C. Coulter, T. J. Calvin, Mr. and Mrs. S. Lyon, E. G. Eggers and other workers organized a Sunday-school at the house of S. Lyon, and elected him superintendent. It continued during that year, but was not reorganized, again until the school-house was completed. In 1874 it was again organized, and held in the school-house. Its superintendents have been W. G. Baylor, Samuel C. Coulter, T. J. Calvin, G. W. Jenkins, E. G. Eggers, Mrs. S. Lyon and Dr. Owens. With 1884 the school ceased as a union school and was merged in the school organized by the Baptists in their new church, and known as the Pleasant Hill Sunday-school.
Liggett District, No. 87. - This school was originally a part of the one organized in Dr. Lucas' house, in Elm Grove township, and which thereafter became the Ripon school. When the school-houses were built two Sunday-schools were formed, one in the Ripon school-house and one in the Liggett school-house. Among the early superintendents of the latter school were Ephraim Welch, Mr. Hoy and Wm. Liggett. This was maintained as a union school until the erection of the Cecil church, when it was merged in the Methodist school organized in that building.
Bishop District, No. 7. - This school was organized May 1, 1871. Abner DeCou, William Newcomb, H. G. Pore, Alexander Bishop, H. W. Sandusky and G. A. Cooper were among those most prominently identified with its organization and early management. H. W. Sandusky was its first superintendent, and he was followed by G. W. Jenkins, G. A. Cooper, W. S. Bishop, Alexander Bishop, Miss Rose Dorland, W. W. Bradbury, A. M. Newman and Mrs. Catharine Miller.
Lockard District, No. 28. - The Sunday school in this district was organized in the spring of 1873, by many earnest workers, among whom may be named George Tilton and wife, Thomas Sharp, S. L. Whiting, H. J. Reece, W. F. Legg, Mrs. Flora B. Illingsworth and Mrs. Clara Wimmer. Its superintendents have been A. B. Hammer, Thomas Sharp, S. L. Whiting, W. F. Legg, W. G. Faurot and Mrs. F. B. Illingsworth.
Bartlett District, No. 110. - This school was organized May 1, 1887, with S. L. Whitney, superintendent. He has served as such since its organization, excepting in 1891, when Mrs. Allie Crane superintended.
Lake Creek Sunday-school, District No. 60. - In the spring of 1872, Mrs. Julia Knight, G. W. Jenkins, W. W. Baty, A. D. Robinson, Mrs. Warren Chamberlain and several others, feeling the need of religious services, organized a Sunday-school at the home of H. D. Knight, with Mrs. Julia Knight as superintendent. The next year the school was moved to the Lake Creek school-house, District No. 60, and Mrs. Knight was again elected superintendent. Those who succeeded her as superintendent while it remained a union school in the school-house were: G. W. Jenkins, W. W. Baty, William Priest, Mrs. Warren Chamberlain, J. N. Allison and W. F. Legg.
Gore District, No. 3. - In the fall of 1866 a few of the settlers in that neighborhood organized a Sunday-school in James Rice's cabin, with Mrs. Rice as superintendent. The next summer it was reorganized, with the same superintendent, and maintained during the summer. In the spring of 1868 it was reorganized in Orville Thompson's store building, with Thompson Palmer, superintendent. After this it was held in the school-house in that district. Benjamin A. Rice was superintendent in 1869. Other superintendents have been John F. Hill, Solomon Pierson and L. Baker. It was merged into the Methodist Sunday-school at Fletcher Chapel on the organization of the latter.
Watson District, No. 5. - In the spring of 1870 a school was organized in a claim cabin on J. C. McKnight's place on the southeast quarter of section 20, with T. J. Calvin, superintendent. A part of the time it was held in a log cabin on R. T. Goudy's place. It was reorganized in the school-house upon its completion, with Samuel F. Doolen, superintendent. From 1872 till his death, in 1878, James C. Watson superintended, and through his energy and devotion to the school it always did effective work. J. M. Morgan superintended for a time after Mr. Watson's death.
Breese District, No. 25. - A school has been maintained during the summer months in this district most of the time from 1872 until the erection of Fletcher Chapel. A. J. Swagerty and Mr. Hardaway were early superintendents.
Closser District, No. 61. - Organized 1875. Superintendents: F. M. Mendenhall, Samuel Wade, D. M. Closser and H. W. Cook.
Piety Hill District, No. 100. - Organized 1875, and maintained a good portion of the time since. W. G. Hoover has been one of the workers in this school.
Cook District, No. 103. - A school has been kept up in this district a part of the time of late years. H. W. Cook has been one of the workers.
Transcribed from History of Labette County, Kansas and its Representative Citizens, ed. & comp. by Hon. Nelson Case. Pub. by Biographical Publishing Co., Chicago, Ill. 1901
Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project