INDEX
TOWNSHIPS

1878 History of Jewell County, Kansas


The following is a transcription of a history of Jewell County, Kansas published in 1878. It reflects the attitudes of the time. This is taken from a microfilmed copy. Some of the print was difficult to read and I have indicated with a question mark in brackets ([?]) when I was unsure of the spelling, particularly of names. Submitted by Patricia Seitas.

History of Jewell County, Kansas, with a Full Account of the Early Settlements and Indian Atrocities Committed Within Its Borders; Its final Settlement, Organization and Progress, Its Present Society, Churches and Schools, Its Towns, Streams; Topography; Soil and Products, Its Population; Township Organization and Officers, Its Industries; Business, Resources, Etc. by M. Winsor and James A. Scarbrough, Jewell City, Kansas, Diamond Printing Office, 1878


Burr Oak Township

is the legitimate successor of White Rock township, all the first officers of the latter being now residents of the former. As before mentioned in this work, White Rock township was organized August 22, 1870.

Its First Officers,

elected April 3, 1871, were Jabe Winslow, Trustee; Frank Gilbert, treasurer; James McCormick, clerk; Thomas Moor and A.W. Mann, justices of the peace, and J.K. Moor and Zack Mormon, constables.

The First Settlers

were A.W. Mann, A.J. Godfrey, D.H. Godfrey, Frank Gilbert, James Gilbert, George Beanblossom, Sr., Mike Hackenberg, John St. John, and Thomas Francis, who settled near the present town site of Burr Oak, August 28, 1870. A.W. Mann had been out in June previous and had taken his claim. Of the nine persons above named all remain, with the exception of Thomas Francis and John St. John, who have moved away, an Mike Hackenberg who was killed on his claim by the falling of a tree in the fall of 1874. Zack Mormon and Thomas P. Comstock came in September, 1870.

Thomas Moor and J.K. Moor, and Henry Sprague came in about the 1st of October, 1870, and took claims on Burr Oak creek, about five miles northwest of Burr Oak, where they still reside.

John E. Faidley and Allen Ives came out and took a look at the country in October, 1870, but did not take claims. They came back in January, 1871, to find the nice claims they had selected on their first visit taken by other parties.

Burr Oak

The beautiful town site of Burr Oak was located and laid out by A.J. Godfrey, on the NW 1/4 of the NW 1/4 of Section 23, Township 2, south, Range 3, west, in May 1872. John E. Faidley built the first house and opened the first store in this lace in the same month, which was the beginning of the present town of Burr Oak, which now contains two good general stores, one drug store, one harness shop, one water saw and grist mill, one sewing and reaping machine establishment and too good hotels.

On the 22nd day of May, 1873, Mr. Faidley took Francis Gilbert into partnership with him and the firm was known as Faidley & Gilbert until March 18th, 1878 [?] when they went into partnership with A.W. Mann and the firm is now known as Mann, Faidley & Co.

Burr Oak township is one of the best in the county, and is thickly settled by as good a class of citizens as ever came west. Population 659.

Schools and Churches

There are six school districts in the township, all of which have good school houses and regular terms of school. There are three Sunday Schools. The religious denominations are quite numerous, and are represented as follows: Methodists, Friends, United Brethren, Dunkards, Saturday and Sunday Advents, Christians, Presbyterians and Spiritualists, all of whom have regular preaching.

The Present Township officers,

elected November 6, 1877, are J.W. Green, trustee; A.J. Godfrey, clerk; B.F. Royer, treasurer; James McCormick and J.M. Quigley, justices of the peace, and David H. Godfrey, and A. Morris, constables.

Washington Township

was originally a portion of Buffalo Township. It was organized August 10, 1872, and

The First Elections

took place at the house of Captain Pierce, August 28, 1872, at which C. Stinson was elected Trustee; W.G. Slaughter, Treasurer; A.P. Haling, Clerk; S. Briggs, Justice of the Peace, and A. Walker and J.L. Allen, Constables.

The First Settlers

were J.M. Pantier, B.M. Gould, J.L. Allen, Seth Rogers and W.G. Slaughter, who settled on West Marsh creek the first of May, 1871. The first child born was to Mr. and Mrs. J.L. Allen, November 10, 1871.

The eastern portion of the Township contains some beautiful country, as fine as any in the county, but the western portion is rather broken and hilly, but all susceptible of successful cultivation. The Township is thickly settled by industrious, intelligent and successful farmers, and the society is excellent.

Schools and Churches

There are four school districts, in all of which there are regular terms of school. There are five church organizations -- Presbyterians, Methodists, Christians, United Brethren and Free Will Baptists, all of whom have regular preaching. J.M. Pantier is Pastor of the Presbyterian church, and J.L. Allen, class leader of the Methodists.

The Present Township Officers,

elected November 6, 1877, are W.G. Slaughter, Trustee; Jacob Jacobs, Clerk; J.L. Allen, Treasurer; J.M. Adams and Geo. E. Keyes, Justices of the Peace and L.R. Jordan and J. Jacobs, Constables.


Background and KSGenWeb logo were designed and are copyrighted by
Tom & Carolyn Ward
for the limited use of the KSGenWeb Project.
Permission is granted for use only on an official KSGenWeb page.

©2001


Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project
KSGenWeb
Archives
Return to
Jewell County