KSGENWEB INTERNET GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY COPYRIGHT NOTICE: In keeping with the KSGenWeb policy of providing free information on the Internet, this data may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied materiel. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other gain. Copying of the files within by non-commercial individuals and libraries is encouraged. Any other use, including publication, storage in a retrieval system, or transmission by electronic, mechanical, or other means requires approval of the file's author.
|NEWSPAPER UNKNOWN, 31 March 1886|
|Obituary of JOHN YOUNG|
|In Ottawa, Kansas, at the residence of his son-in-law,
Albert Tutcher, on Wednesday, March 3lst, 1886, of general debility., John
Young, in the eightieth year of his age.
John Young was born in Allegheny County, Versailles township, Penn., May 31st, 1806. He was married February 2nd, 1828, to Elizabeth Gregory, who bore him six children: John, who died in infancy; George M., who lives in Allegheny City, Penn; J. A., a prominent real estate agent at Kansas City, Mo.; Eliza J., wife of our esteemed townsman Albert Tucher; Frank M., who is engaged in the drug business at Elk Falls, Kan., and William G., who is engaged in farming In this county. The entire family are In good circumstances and are valuable citizens.
Mr. Young was engaged in mining for many years, and for a number of years previous to his removal from Pennsylvania was superintendent of extensive coal mines in the vicinity of Pittsburg. His attention having been attracted to the possibilities of the great West, he decided to cast his lot with those who were destined to found an empire West of the Mississippi river. In the Spring of 1858 he disposed of his interests in Pennsylvania and moved to Iowa, taking up his residence temporarily in Warren county. In the Fall of the same year he removed to Kansas locating in Douglas county, about fifteen miles Southwest of Lawrence. In 1868 he disposed of his property in Douglas county and purchased a large tract of land about five miles Northwest of Ottawa, where he took up his residence in the same year.
For ten years lie lived here with his wife and family, enjoying the fruits of industry in quiet contentment and sharing with them the prosperity which attended the rapid development of their new home. But the chill of winter brought with its shadow to darken this happy home: On February 25th, 1878, his wife, who had been his faithful companion for fifty years, passed through the dark valley which to mortal eyes hides from view a brighter and a better world, He laid her to rest shedding bitter tears of grief and sorrow; but In this hour of his great bereavement and mortal anguish his faith in the goodness and wisdom of his Creator unshaken. In fact the grandeur of his faith and nobleness of his nature here shown with that peculiar light which marks the true Christian character, leaving an indelible impression upon the minds of his kindred and associates whereby they are enabled to appreciate those Christian virtues which support the soul in the hour of its severest trials.
Mr. Young was a loving husband, a kind father, a faithful companion and a conscientious citizen, a man off few words whose highest ambition was to know his duty and do it honestly and well. In his long life he never sought to rise above his fellow men for the sake of worldly praise; nor did lie ever seek gain by petty schemes. He preferred to move slowly in the accumulation of wealth, being satisfied with the fruits of the labor of his hands rather than to profit at the exense of other. His rule of life was eased upon Christian principles. At the age of thirty-flve he united with the Presbyterian Church,
and continued his connection with this society until his removal to this county. After his removal here, owing to his not being located convenient to a Church of his choice, he united with the Lutheran Church, and was an active member of this society until the time of his death.
A few weeks before his death lie came from his farm to the residence of his daughter in this city, and lie fully realized that the end was near. A friend in conversation with him a short time prior to his death, spoke of the loneliness of life to those who are old. In talking to his daughter shortly after, he referred to this conversation and smilingly said, "Why, I never was lonely." For almost eighty summers this mail had followed the toilsome path beaten and worn by the weary feet of those who for ages have been struggling in the maze of human hopes and fears. In the darkness of the darkest night and in the brightness of the brightest day he was " never lonely." A few days later, when the chill of death had touched him, calling the dear ones to his side and calmly taking each by the hand and bidding them a last farewell, at that moment his eyes were still clear, and through them his disparting spirit seemed to speak that which his voice could not utter: " 'I was never lonely' and am not now distressed.
During his illness he repeatedly expressed his willingness to die, and at all times gave evidence of his abiding faith in the goodness and mercy of God. Fondly trusting in the promise of immortality lie passed peacefully away. The funeral took place from the residence of his daughter, Mrs. Tucher, on North Oak street, on Friday at two o'clock p. m., Revs. Altman and Frame officiating. The remains were interred in Evergreen, Mound cemetery near his home. His last sleep is hallowed by the glow of that celestial light which by the grace of Christian faith drives the darkest shadows from the tomb.
|Transcribed and Contributed by Janice Buchanan|
Last Updated: Thursday, March 27, 2003 21:44:29
to the Franklin County Obituaries Index
Back to KSGenWeb Digital Library
Back to KSGenWeb State Index Page
HOME PAGE for KANSAS STATE LIBRARY
An Extra special thanks to Blue Skyways, Home page for Kansas State Library, for donating space for the many KSGenWeb pages.
Page Design, HTML Coding and Layout - Copyrightę1998-2003 by
Kenneth Thomas, All Rights Reserved.
The KSGenWeb Project logo Copyrightę1996-2003 by Tom & Carolyn Ward, All Rights Reserved.
For the limited use of the KSGenWeb Project. Permission is granted for use only on an Official KSGenWeb Project page.
The Official USGenWeb Project logo designed by Linda Cole.