Reverend Higgen preached the first sermon delivered by a minister of the Presbyterian denomination in Glasco, in the old log school house (with a dirt covering) in the summer of 1871. Reverend "Father" Bracken held services in the little village school house in the early winter of 1871, but the congregation was not organized until in June, 1872. The number of members was twelve. Reverend Bracken was assisted in the organization of the church by Reverend Timothy Hill, D.D. The first ruling elders were Thomas Dumars and John M. Gray, whose son, George F. Gray, is one of the present elders.
"Father" Bracken, as he was familiarly known, was a very strong and able preacher, much beloved by his congregation, friends, and people everywhere. He was pastor from the organization until 1884. The present church was built during his pastorate. Of the original members five are living, viz: Mr. and Mrs. H.P. Bracken, of Wallace, Kansas; George F. Gray, of Boulder, Colorado; Mrs. Amelia Blake and R.M. Gray, of Glasco, whose letters remain in the church. In 1878 they called a congregational meeting to discuss the building of a church, with the result of a charter, and five trustees were elected. Times were hard and nothing further was done until May 3, 1879, when a more permanent organization was effected, and it was decided to build the present house of worship.
On May 8, 1879, the first ground was broken by R.M. Gray. Mrs. Mary M. Palmer said she was going to be the first woman inside the foundation, and claims that distinction. On the 10th and 11th of August, 1879, lumber was placed on the ground and the work proceeded at once, and as rapidly as the means could be secured. The church was finished at a cost of twenty-two hundred dollars and dedicated early in June, 1880. The dedicatory sermon was delivered by Reverend W.A. Simkins, of Salina, Kansas. Reverend Pinkerton, D.D., offered the dedicatory prayer. The church began free of debt. The Presbyterian church being the first edifice, all the other denominations were made welcome and worshipped there.
In the autumn of 1884 Reverend Bracken retired on account of failing health and Reverend A. Glendenning succeeded him. "Father" Bracken is remembered as a good shepherd and gathered into the fold seventy-one members. He died a few years later, amid the closing scenes of his labors. Succeeding Mr. Glendenning Reverend J.C. Hench occupied the pulpit a short time in 1887, then followed Reverends J.A. Stayt, J.W. Funk, George McKay and elder J.H. Course, all of whom were licentiates but not ordained. Since June 1, 1897, the church has been supplied by Benjamin F. McMillan. The present membership is seventy-two, twenty of them received under the present pastorate.
The first chorister of this congregation was Robert G. Bracken, followed by Mrs. Maggie Hubbard, Reed P. Bracken, Mrs. C.M. White, Annie Olmstead, Mrs. Maud Haynes, Edgar Pratt and Miss Pamelia Bullock. The first child baptized was Theodore Bracken, son of Isaac Bracken. The entire membership received into the church is one hundred and fifty-nine.
The first trustees were H.H. Spaulding, John Hillhouse, W.H. Wright, Charles Sheffield and R.M. Gray. The present trustees are Mrs. Mary Bullock, Mrs. Hannah Butler, Mrs. Andy Franks, Mr. Best and Milton Gray. The Presbyterian congregation have a Sabbath school with an average attendance of fifty-eight. Mr. Best has been superintendent for the past year; an active and earnest worker.
The first sermon in the Solomon valley was delivered by a Methodist minister (the name could not he obtained), who called at Captain Potts' dugout. In the course of the conversation it was discovered he was a minister of the gospel, and Captain Potts requested him to preach a sermon. The settlers were not very numerous and were all notified by a messenger on horseback. This was before the founding of Glasco and the meeting was held under a native cottonwood tree. The limbs that had been broken off by the wind served for seats; the audience numbered less than one dozen.
Reverend Chilson was the first man sent to minister to the people and later Reverend Jeffery was sent by the Methodist Episcopal conference to establish a church. On May 1, 1870, he effected an organization with six members. Reverend Jeffery was succeeded by Reverend Phillips, after a term of two years. Since then the pulpit has been supplied as follows: Reverends Winder, Tolman, Jones, D.D. Campbell, W.L. Cannon, A. Stackhouse, S.L. Seamons, J.W. Ryan, B.F. Rhodes, N.A. Walker, E.H. Bailiff, W.S. Lucas, Sheldon, J.W. Edgar, E. McNair, J.H. Curie, and the present minister, Reverend James Flowers.
The first Methodist Episcopal church edifice was built in 1884, under the jurisdiction of Reverend S.L. Seamons. Prior to the building of this house they held their meetings in the old stone school house, until the building of the Presbyterian church, where they worshipped for a year or more. The Methodist Episcopal church was erected at a cost of twenty-five thousand dollars. It was burned in the fire of April 11, 1890. On May 17, 1890, the trustees called a meeting to effect the building of a church. They had in insurance of nine hundred and sixty dollars, and adding to this subscriptions by the congregation and people of the town and vicinity they built a church valued at two thousand dollars.
Several successful revivals have been held. Reverend Flowers began his labors in the Glasco Methodist Episcopal church in April, 1898. He is an ardent temperance lecturer and is very successful as a revivalist; most of his labors have been in the Concordia district. He has been phenomally successful in building churches. Was instrumental in the building of a house of worship on his first charge and has raised funds, or built a church on every charge except the present one.
The first trustees consisted of Enoch Williamson, Mr. Bond, A. Newell, Abbott A. Stackhouse and N. Harper, Mr. Williamson has been president of the board since its organization. The church has a membership of eighty-five, a Sunday school with an average attendance of seventy-five and an enrollment of one hundred and twenty-five. Noah Harper is the superintendent, which place he has held for many years. Previous to the burning of the church the Salvation Army held a meeting in Glasco and many conversions were made.
For three years the Catholics held services at the various homes of Catholic families in the vicinity of Glasco. In 1878 a church was erected by general subscription at a cost of about eight hundred dollars, much of the work having been done by members. Previously the parish was a part of Delphos, one priest doing the work for both parishes, having his seat of residence at Delphos, that being the most central point among his other missions. The first priest was Father Frederick, who came to Glasco from Beloit and before a residence was established at Delphos. The church was built under his supervision and the congregation consisted of about twenty families. The church seats about one hundred and is getting too small for the congregation. The building of a much larger edifice will likely be consummated the coming year, 1902. Next to Father Frederick follows Father Whidoff, a German priest, Father Regan, now of Abilene, Father Carribeauld, and Father Hoeller. The present priest in charge is Father Horgan. Father Regan had charge of the parish about five years. Services are held the third Sunday of every month; when five Sundays occur in a month they have special services, and occasional intervening mass. The Catholic cemetery consists of three acres of ground adjoining the Protestant cemetery, on the east.
LUTHERAN CHURCH OF GLASCO.
The Lutheran church, the second church organized in the little city of Glasco, was established in 1883, by Reverend Seidel, at that time resident pastor of the Lutheran church at Lindsay, Ottawa county, Kansas. They worshipped in various homes and in the old stone school house until the erection of the Presbyterian church, where they met for Christian service for several years. In 1893 they erected a handsome frame edifice on Main street, at a cost of three thousand dollars; dimensions, thirty by fifty feet. Reverend Seidel continued in charge about four years and was succeeded by Reverend John Bright, with residence at Abilene, who was followed a year later by Reverend Bond, who labored in the best interests of this congregation for six years and was its first resident pastor. He was a man of rare intellect and reared for the ministry. Unfortunately, loss of hearing rendered him unable to continue his labors and he was succeeded by Reverend Trefz, under whose pastorate the church was built. His residence was Beloit, preaching for the Glasco congregation every two and three weeks for several years. Reverend J. Paetznick occupied the pulpit and became their resident minister for one year. E.F.A. Hantel was in charge three years, followed by the present pastor, E.V. Nausbanin in 1901. The present membership is forty-five families, many of them living in the country districts. They have a Sabbath school with an average attendance of about eighty scholars. Adam Studt is superintendent.
In 1897 the Crumerine property was purchased and converted into a parsonage. The services are conducted alternately each Sunday in German and English. In 1901 the confirmation class reached the number of twenty-three.
On June 23, 1878, a congregation of the city of Glasco met at the old stone school house and after listening to a discourse by Elder G.J. Root, an invitation was given to all those who wished to be joined together in the bonds of Christian fellowship, to walk together as a church of Christ, to come forward. To this call fourteen responded. Of this number but one remains in Glasco, Susan Reed. Some having passed "over the river" and others removed to various parts of the world. Reverend Root, who was a successful pastor and organizer, died a few years later of consumption. For some time the pulpit was filled with ministers from other fields of labor. In 1879 preparations were begun for the building of a church. They erected a frame building which was rented for school purposes, the district advanced the rent and the money was applied to finish the interior. A bell was placed in 1880 and replaced with a new one in 1884, the first one having been broken. E.F. Russell held meetings in the year 1879, with some additions. Reverend George S. Smith, who lived near Glasco, preached to the people of this congregation. Following Reverend Smith, Harvey Ballou accepted the charge and the winter of 1885-6 a revival was held and Reverend Hopkins, an elegant tenor singer, held an institute or series of song services. Several distinguished divines have held meetings from time to time in this church, among them Reverends Pardee Butler, M. Ingalls, W.W. Hopkins and John W. Randall, state evangelist. Following Reverend Ballou, Reverends E.J. Palmer and W.I. Thomas each filled the pulpit for short periods. Reverend John W. Garner, then of Beloit, ministered to this congregation at various times and held several successful revivals. Reverend G.T. Blacks labored in this field a short period. Reverend Lee filled the pulpit six months and was followed by Reverend J.K. Ballou, who was ordained there. He was followed by B.F. Sheppard. Reverend Smith is their present pastor.
The church has had a membership of one hundred and forty. They have a Sabbath school in a good condition, with an average attendance of sixty, under the superintendency of Ira Ellison. In connection with the church is a Christian Endeavor Society and a Woman's Aid Society, both doing good work.
The Glasco State Bank was organized January 2, 1893, as the Ainsworth Bank, an individual concern, with the following officials: L. Ainsworth, president; F.L. Ainsworth, secretary and cashier. Directors, L. Ainsworth, F.L. Ainsworth, M.O. Ainsworth, Ina Ainsworth and L.D. Ainsworth (deceased). They organized with a capital stock of fourteen thousand dollars. The business was conducted by the secretary and cashier as the Ainsworth Bank until the early part of 1897.
March 22, 1897, the citizens of Glasco met to organize a state bank, capital six thousand dollars. The first stockholders were Thomas Butler, Lewis Ainsworth, L. Noel, J.M. Brock, G.B. VanLandingham, E.C. Davidson, M.L. Hare, J.M. Haddock, Jr., and F.L. Ainsworth. The following officers were appointed for a term of one year: L. Noel, president, Thomas Butler, vice-president: J.M. Brock, secretary, F.L. Ainsworth, cashier. Directors: Thomas Butler, L. Ainsworth, L. Noel, J.M. Brock and E.C. Davidson. In 1900 F.L. Ainsworth transferred his stock to G.H. Bernard, G.B. VanLandingham withdrew transferring his stock to Mr. Noel soon after the organization of the bank. The bank building is a substantial one with modern fixtures and is the property of the Ainsworths. All the officers have been retained except the change of Mr. Bernard as cashier on October 1, 1900. L.J. Marlatt was bookkeeper from the organization until July, 1901, when his place was taken by C.L. Hare, the present incumbent. The capital stock remained six thousand dollars until 1902, when it was increased to twelve thousand dollars, with deposits amounting to one hundred and four thousand one hundred and twenty-five dollars and sixteen cents. The deposits have scarcely been below the one hundred thousand dollar mark since January, 1901. Correspondents: National Bank of Commerce, First National Bank, and the New England Bank of Kansas City, and Fourth National Bank of New York.
An association was organized in 1875, during which period wool growing was one of the leading enterprises of Cloud county, and more especially of the Solomon valley. The first officers were J.L. Hostetler, president, and John Vernon, secretary. This annual sheep-shearing picnic and festival was held at various places, but John Vernon's grove, one mile north of Simpson, was a favorite meeting place. The people came from all over the country and camped for two days. Sheep-shearing matches with first, second and third premiums were one of the interesting features. Some of the sheep yielded coats weighing forty pounds. These events were days of honest pleasure and good cheer. There were none of the coarser pleasures indulged in; nothing stronger than lemonade could be secured. A band discoursed music for the merry throng assembled to trip the "light fantastic" each evening. Speakers were imported from all parts of the state, the newspaper reporter was in evidence, and these gatherings were largely advertised all over the country.
Mitchell and Cloud counties owe much of their prosperity to this association. The interest set the counties of Mitchell and Cloud booming. There was a spirit of rivalry grading, shearing and arranging the flocks. It was the first organization of the kind in the state but some of Emporia's citizens who were interested in sheep raising were in attendance and upon returning organized a society in their own county and others followed.
The Glasco foot ball team, one of the strongest in the state, owes its origin to L.F. Davidson, who has been their captain since its organization. Mr. Davidson contracted the foot ball "craze" while a student of the Ottawa University, and upon his return home, imparted the "malady" to the young men of Glasco and vicinity. This is a team of athletic young men that Glasco may well feel proud of, and they have proved themselves to be among the finest material in the state. The team was organized in 1896, and was composed largely of farmer boys in and around Glasco, who rapidly developed into good foot ball players: as no one not fitted for the position assigned him was accepted, and no one admitted who did not express a liking for the game.
In August, 1896, John Outland, who was a player in the Kansas University team, and one of the best half-back players in the state of Kansas, gave them a three days' coaching. Several minor games were played during the autumn of that year between Beloit, Concordia, Simpson, Delphos, Minneapolis and Abilene, the latter making the only score against the Glasco team. The other games were considered good practice for the Glasco combination, and were easily won. The following year Glasco took on the best team in the state. They defeated the Atchisons, the second best team in the state, thirty-two to nothing, giving Glasco the laurels of second best, with even money offered that their team could defeat the K.Us. Accordingly, October, 1897, was set for this important event. The day was all that could be desired, and a large, enthusiastic crowd that had convened from all directions greeted the players. The game was called at 2:30, and after desperate playing by both sides, the score stood twenty-three to nothing in favor of the Kansas University team. Time, forty-five minutes. Glasco had the ball on Kansas University five yards three different times, but lost by bad moves on the part of one of her players. Kansas University team of 1897 won the pennant, shutting out nearly all the other university teams that year. The Kansas University players were unanimous in their remarks that it was the closest, hardest fought game of the season, and all were ready to ride from the field to the city. Both sides played scientifically. Glasco's lines were firmly knit together, but they were beaten by the mthod[sic] of playing thir[sic] men. Such reputed players as Morse, Foster, Speak, Bert Kennedy (who was afterward half-back on the University of Pennsylvania team), Woodward and Voits, in fact the best men the Kansas University has ever had and the best coach; Wyle G. Woodruff, of the Kansas University. These men all said it was decidedly the best game played that year. The next event was played in Beloit between the Glasco and Ottawa University teams, and resulted in a score of four to four. In November of this same year the Washburn team was shut out. The game was a clean and well fought one; but the Washburns were completely outclassed, through one of the most beautifully fought games of the season. The score stood, Glasco eighteen, Washburn University nothing. The Washburns were worn out at the end of the game, while Glasco was as fresh as when she entered. The next game was with Abilene, in which the score stood, Glasco thirty two, Abilene nothing. Several minor games were played in the various towns around, and resulted in easy victories with fair practice for Glasco.
The first game of moment in 1898 was with the Ottawa University at Concordia, and resulted in a score of Glasco eleven, Ottawa nothing. Washburn being none the less daunted by a former defeat, demonstrated their pluck by marching themselves against Glasco in another game. There was but twenty minutes of the game played, and the score stood twenty-eight to nothing in favor of Glasco. A game played with Abilene resulted in a score of Glasco thirty-two, Abilene nothing. With a few minor games the season closed.
The only important game played in the autumn of 1899 was with the Kansas University "Short Grass" team, and resulted in a score of Glasco eighteen, Kansas University Short Grass nothing. This team was again defeated in the autumn of 1900 with the same score. The autumn of 1901 two very important games were played, The first with the "Terrible Swedes" of Bethany College, Lindsborg, Kansas, which resulted in a score of Glasco eleven, Swedes 'five. This game was followed by another bout with the Kansas University Short Grass team, with a score of Glasco twelve, Kansas Short Grass nothing. In 1902, Osborne's strong team came down full of ambition and assurance, but was taken down the line to the tune of six to nothing, in favor of Glasco.
The Haskell Indians and the Glasco team had arranged for a game on Thanksgiving day, of 1902, which was discontinued after a brief time. Glasco cornered the ball through the Haskell line, for eighty-five yards and eight touchdowns. The Indians thought this too much, objected to the referee's decision, and quit the game, a fact greatly deplored by the Glasco foot ball management. The most exciting and important game of the season was played on the 8th day of November, 1902, With the "Giant Swede" team from Bethany College, who were defeated by Glasco last year, in a game; score 11 to 5. In this year (1902), they were the strongest team in the state, as the following record shows:
|Kansas Wesleyan University||0||Swedes||46|
|Manhattan Agricultural College||0||"||40|
Glasco had shut out the big Swede team for forty-five minutes of play, and in the meantime had made two touchdowns, kicked both goals, making a score of Glasco 12, Swedes O. The referee, having friends from Minneapolis who had wagered their money on the Swedes seemed greatly interested in the result, and gave a decision that gained them five points, and not deeming this concession enough, gave them the ball at a time when Glasco could have held the score Glasco 12, Swedes 11. Hence, through an unscrupulous referee, Glasco lost the honor of winning from the best team in the state, and in what will in all probability be the last game played by the old team; although all unprejudiced spectators conceded the game was fairly won by the Glasco team, and acknowledged by the Swedes to be the best, and hardest game they had ever participated in. Just before Christmas, 1902 the Osborne team seemingly thought Glasco could be bluffed, and offered to play for a purse of $600, each town to furnish half the amount. Glasco readily, and eagerly responded to the proposition, but Osborne was not forthcoming and the game was declared off.
The first line-up of the Glasco team played for three years, and was as follows: Line-up of 1896 - A. Mann, center; J. Downey, right guard; H. Reed, left; L. Mann, right tackle; J. Butler, left; J. Bucklin, right end; C. Franks, left; E. Spaulding, quarter back; W. Davidson, full back; L.F. Davidson, right half back; A.E. Abbott, left half back.
Line-up of 1902 - A. Klein, center; F. Henry, right guard; H. Allen, left; Joe Louthan, right tackle; J. Downey, left; George Nowells, right end; C. Franks, left; J. Davidson, quarter back; W. Davidson, full back; L.F. Davidson (captain), right half back; Pete Sullivan, left.
Better material for foot ball players could not be produced than the above line-up. They were perfection itself. If a shortcoming could be found, it was in the training. The last line-up, several of whom were members of the first organization, have played in the team for the past three years, and are not lacking in qualities essential to the game. The coach of the Swede team remarked: "With proper training, the Glasco team could defeat any combination west of the Mississippi river."
S.T. Day was manager until 1898, when he was succeeded by L.F. Davidson, the promoter of the team and captain since its organization. The Davidsons are all scientific players, and "game" to the last. In the last struggle with the Big Swedes, "Wid" Davidson had to be carried front the field, but would not yield the palm until fate decreed it. In October, 1901, the K.U. team had its prospects brightened by the addition to its ranks of Joe Davidson, who has won an enviable reputation as a "shortgrass" half back player.
Were the Glasco foot ball team to practice sufficiently, they would doubtless cover themselves with glory, and sigh "for other worlds to conquer."
Glasco also had a winning base ball team at one time, often "white washing" the neighboring ball players. One of the best games played in the country was between Clyde and Glasco, on October 22, 1895. The latter won by five scores. Much interest was taken for several seasons, but the talent developed into foot ball players, and from that date, interest in base ball waned, until last year (1902) when a team was organized that won laurels. They were the winners of the Chapman tournament and champions of the state, by a score of 17 to 9 in favor of Glasco.
Transcribed from E.F. Hollibaugh's Biographical history of Cloud County, Kansas biographies of representative citizens. Illustrated with portraits of prominent people, cuts of homes, stock, etc. [n.p., 1903] 919p. illus., ports. 28 cm.
Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project