J.C. Mason is a farmer, extensive stock feeder and shipper and a member of the firm of J.C. Mason & Son, dealers in general merchandise - the only store in Meredith, where they do a thriving business of about $20,000 annually. Their capital stock is $4,500 and composed of hardware, clothing dry goods, groceries and everything found in a complete stock of general merchandise.
Mr. Mason is a son of George W. and Elizabeth (Chipman) Mason, both natives of Kentucky, who emigrated to Missouri soon after their marriage and where J.C. was born in 1847, and grew to manhood in the town of Richmond. G.W. Mason was an extensive merchant in the city of Richmond for many years and died there in 1861. Both the Masons and Chipmans were families of southern proclivities and were slave owners in Missouri. G.A. Mason owned twenty or more, several of them remaining with the family as faithful servants several years after Mrs. Mason's death in 1878.
J.C. Mason was educated in Richmond, Missouri, and began his career as clerk in his brother's store. He is one of four children, two of whom are living. A sister, Octavia, wife of Doctor William Baron, of Richmond, Missouri. A brother, George W. Mason, Jr., who was a prominent merchant and stockman of Richmond, was killed in a railroad wreck while shipping stock to St. Louis in 1874. J.C. Mason became a partner in his brother's store and at his death became sole proprietor, continuing the enterprise two years. At the end of that period he sold his interests in Richmond and established himself at Knoxville; after three years of successful operation there he sold and bought a stock farm. Six years later he disposed of the farm and came to Kansas locating in Miltonvale in 1890, where he bought, fed and shipped stock for three years.
Mr. Mason discovered what he thought to be - and he reckoned well - a promising outlook for a general merchandising business at Meredith in connection with his stock interests. He came with money to invest and energy to assist in building up a business in that line. In advance of this venture he had visited Cloud county several winters buying and shipping stock.
In 1890 he brought his family, located permanently, and in 1893 rented the old Parks homestead adjacent to Meredith where he still resides, and feeds from one hundred and fifty to two hundred head of cattle, and from two hundred to three hundred head of hogs. Mr. Mason was married in 1873 to Alice Ringo, a daughter of Andrew H. and Margaret (Wirt) Ringo, of Kentucky.
Andrew Ringo was a merchant interested at Richmond, Liberty and Gallatin, Missouri, with residence in Richmond, under the firm name of Wirt & Ringo. Her father died in 1880 and her mother in 1873. Mrs. Mason is one of eight children, all of whom are living, scattered over various states of the Union. A brother, W.E. Ringo, was a member of Price's band and served during the entire war. He was county clerk of Ray county for eight years and is now collector of taxes.
To Mr. and Mrs. Mason four children have been born, the eldest of whom is George, associated with his father in the store. He is a competent young business man, who received his education at Wesleyan College, Salina. The daughters are: Daisy, who assists her father in the store; Edna, a graduate of the Miltonvale schools, and Alma.
Mr. Mason is a Missouri Democrat and is the present postmaster of Meredith. The Mason hospitality is of the proverbial Missouri quality, where his neighbors, friends and strangers alike, always find their "latch string hanging out."
Transcribed from E.F. Hollibaugh's Biographical history of Cloud County, Kansas biographies of representative citizens. Illustrated with portraits of prominent people, cuts of homes, stock, etc. [n.p., 1903] 919p. illus., ports. 28 cm.
Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project