The once prosperous and busy little hamlet of Macyville, is situated on the summit of the divide of a low range of hills. From this point water runs each way. The place was once known as Ten Mile, because of it being midway between the Republican and Solomon rivers. A postoffice was established there October 1, 1871, with George W. Macy as postmaster. In 1879 the name was changed to Macyville, taking its origin from its founder and first postmaster. Mr. Macy conducted a store and continued postmaster there until about four years ago, a period of twenty-two years and six months.
The village now consists of a store of general merchandise operated by A.E. Danderand, and one of the best equipped blacksmith shops in the county, owned by E.N. Burgeson. (see sketch.)
In 1893 a church was erected by the Methodist Episcopal society at a cost of one thousand one hundred dollars. The congregation was organized a year prior. The church was built by a subscription and a donation from the church extension board. The Macyville school is one mile north of the town. Mr. Macy made the entry, and furnished money to pay for the ground which the district refunded him later.
Some dozen years ago there were three stores in Macyville and the little town did a flourishing business, as Mr. Macy's books show sales of over two hundred dollars in one day. Including all who received their mail there, the village numbered in its palmy days two hundred inhabitants. The location is a beautiful one and a fine view of the country is had for many miles around.
The society of the Summitt Free Baptist church was organized in 1882 by Reverend I.T. Bradbury, a venerable and worthy man, and held their services alternately with the Methodist Episcopal society in the Highland Methodist Episcopal church which stood on the same site of the present edifice and was built in 1876-7 by the Methodist Episcopal society.
The first pastor was George Winterburn. The church was built by the people of Summitt township, the ground donated by D.M. Stockton, a member of the Baptist society. These two societies worshiped alternately until 1893, when the Methodist Episcopal church people sold to the Baptists and erected their church at Macyville.
The Baptists tore down the old building and in the autumn of 1893, built and dedicated a church at a cost of $2,000 The aisles and pulpit are carpeted, seated with modern pews at a cost of $200, and the church is a credit to the country, being better than many in the smaller towns. There is a basement where societies and socials meet.
They have a cemetery adjacent to the church ground, also donated by D.M. Stockton. The body of Miss Amanda Canfield was the first to be interred there. The cemetery is kept in good condition and surrounded by a woven wire fence.
The first pastor of the Summitt Free Baptist church was E.A. Phillips, who resided in the township. The first influential pastor was B.F. Zell, of Marion, Ohio, an active and zealous worker. Reverend W.P. VanWormer also did good work. Under the pastorage of J.B. McMinn, of Tamarora, Illinois, a wonderful revival work was done. He was in charge two and one-half years.
The Sunday-school has been an important factor in the church work. Last year they had a membership of one hundred and twenty-eight, with M.A. Stockton as superintendent. Deacons are J.S. Abbey, Winfield Tufts and M.A. Stockton. The present pastor is Reverend B. Haines, entering upon his first year. The church has never been without a pastor since its organization. They have ninety resident members, and one hundred and twenty including non-residents.
The church has had several important revivals when from fifteen to fifty additions were made. The Woman's Missionary Society was organized in 1887, with Mrs. N.L. Abbey, president. They have raised about $1,200, which has been used largely in furnishing the church, and have paid from $50 to $75 towards the pastor's salary. To Mrs. Abbey much credit is due for her active work in the church society. They have a Church Endeavor which was established in 1893, of about thirty active and associate members.
George W. Macy John Beesley Joseph Guipre John S. Abbey Gabriel Crum Fred Guipre Elias Nathaniel Burgeson A.H. Montgomery Martin Alexander Stockton Enos Rushton Alfred Amos Mann Graves Postoffice James I. Wright John Brooks William P. Winter Charles H. Winter W.G. Kocher
Transcribed from E.F. Hollibaugh's Biographical history of Cloud County, Kansas biographies of representative citizens. Illustrated with portraits of prominent people, cuts of homes, stock, etc. [n.p., 1903] 919p. illus., ports. 28 cm.
Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project