The postoffice of Graves was established in 1883, in the store of Thomas Graves, for whom the postoffice was named. It was located on a state section of land then owned by Matt Wilcox. He sold the building to J.B. Wilcox and the goods to Sherman Dodson, who was appointed postmaster. Shortly afterward the building and most of its contents were destroyed by fire. For a time the office was discontinued.
The postoffice inspector endeavored to persuade Mr. Dodson to erect a building and continue the office but he would not assent. In June, 1900, Isaiah D. Crittin was appointed postmaster and the office continued under the name of Graves. Last December (1901) the contract was let for a rural delivery route between Concordia, Graves and Macyville, but the postoffice will be continued in the store opened by Mr. Crittin in the same year (1901).
Transcribed from E.F. Hollibaugh's Biographical history of Cloud County, Kansas biographies of representative citizens. Illustrated with portraits of prominent people, cuts of homes, stock, etc. [n.p., 1903] 919p. illus., ports. 28 cm.
Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project