The late Reverend H.J. Gaylord was one of the most successful and one of the most beloved divines Clyde has ever known. He was born in Oticea, New York, February 17, 1813. He fitted for college at Homer Academy, New York, and graduated from Amherst College in 1837, completing his theological course at Auburn Seminary in 1840. His first supply was at the old brick church in Rochester, New York, in 1842. He accepted a call to Union, that state, where he was ordained May 26 of the same year. He afterward filled several supplies in Massachusetts and Delaware. Doctor Hill, synodical missionary, knew Reverend Gaylord in the east and through his efforts he was persuaded to come to Kansas in 1878, and located in Clyde as the stated supply of the church there. His labors had been very successful in the east, especially at Port Penn, Delaware, where he built a church with a congregation of twelve hundred people. He was also very successful at Delaware City and at Odessa, where he built a beautiful church. Reverend Gaylord served in the ministry over fifty years. He died at his home in West Clyde March 23, 1901, at the advanced age of eighty-eight years. Doctor Baker, who preached his funeral sermon, said in his discourse: "Reverend Gaylord had two prominent traits which impressed him. His great spirituality and the broadness of his great Christian faith." While loyal to his own faith he loved all Christian denominations, and at his funeral the ministers of the various churches were present and assisted, as Mrs. Gaylord knew it would be carrying out his feelings and sentiments. He had been instrumental in the conversion of many prominent men. When Doctor Hill met Mr. Gaylord he said at once he was the man they needed in Kansas. In Clyde, where there were church dissensions, he was instrumental in bringing about harmony. While in charge of the church here he supplied at different times the pulpits at Clifton, Rose church, Palmer and others in that vicinity. His last active work in the ministry following the cessation of his pastorate in 1885, was a supply of the church at Chanute, Kansas, in the winter of the same year.
Reverend Gaylord was married in 1841 to Cordelia, a daughter of Deacon Ranson Dickerson, of Sunduland, Massachusetts, who died in 1847, leaving two sons, Edward and William. Edward laid down his life for his country at the battle of Petersburg, and William early entered the ministry, By the second marriage, to Mary H., daughter of H.M. Mack, of Plainfield, Massachusetts, November 22, 1854, six children were born, three of whom are living. Mrs. Gaylord survives her husband and resides in Clyde. She organized the first Home Missionary Society, and the ladies responded generously. The elder members have passed out but an earnest force of younger women have succeeded them. Reverend Gaylord was a man of warm personal sympathies. His best monument is in the hearts of those who loved him.
Transcribed from E.F. Hollibaugh's Biographical history of Cloud County, Kansas biographies of representative citizens. Illustrated with portraits of prominent people, cuts of homes, stock, etc. [n.p., 1903] 919p. illus., ports. 28 cm.
Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project