HONORABLE W. S. CRUMP.
Among the oldest residents of Clyde is W.S. Crump the subject of this sketch. In outlining Mr. Crump's career it can be said he is not only a member of the first hardware store of Clyde but has been one of the most prosperous business men and higly[sic] respected citizens. He has managed his affairs with judgment derived from both ability and experience. For several years he was associated with Mr. Bartlett under the firm name of Bartlett & Crump. They were the first firm of hardware men established in Cloud county, in 1869.
Mr. Crump is a native of Indiana, born in Bartholomew county, near the city of Columbus, on a farm in 1837. He is a son of William H. and Sarah (Smith) Crump. His parents died when he was young, leaving a family of four children, only one of whom beside himself is living - a sister who resides in Indiana. Mr. Crump lived on a farm until the breaking out of the Civil war when he became a sutler's clerk in the southern department of the United States army and was on duty through Tennessee, Kentucky, North Carolina and Alabama.
Mr. Crump was married on January 1, 1861, to Sophronia Fish, who died in January, 1863, leaving two infant sons, Charles and Harry; the former is express agent with residence in Clyde, and the latter a farmer near Santa Fe, Monroe county, Missouri. In 1889, Mr. Crump was married to Martha Russel and to their union one son has been born, Wirt R., who is in his father's employ.
Mr. Crump affiliates with the Republican party and has always been prominently identified with political affairs. During his residence in Manhattan, Kansas, where he located in 1868, and before becoming a permanent resident of Clyde in 1872, he served on the board of councilmen which was the beginning of his political career in Kansas. In the spring of 1872, he was elected a member of the school board of Clyde and in 1875 a commissioner of Cloud county from the first district. In 1874, he was elected mayor of the city of Clyde and has served three different terms as member of the council. In 1880 he represented his district in the Legislature and served with distinction. In 1885, he was elected police judge and in 1888, justice of the peace.
Bartlett & Crump were succeeded by Rushmore & Son, and during an interval of several years between that event and embarking in the second enterprise of 1896, Mr. Crump was appointed, during Governor Martin's administration, a member of the State Board of Charities. He held this office from the spring time of 1885 until 1889. He has been treasurer of Elk township for several years and is the present incumbent. Mr. Crump has been a Mason since 1855, and one of the charter members of the Blue Lodge and of Concordia Chapter of Clay Center.
Mr. Crump owns a handsome residence property on Green street, where many of the old settlers located and have grown fine shade trees, making it one of the most desirable localities in the city. Mr. Crump is a man of fine business qualifications and when he re-established his store in 1896, his old customers fell in line to give him a patronage he had won by former years of honest dealing. He is a sagacious business man and his store is complete in its line. Mr. Crump has made a success of life and is a leader in every good enterprise and is one of Clyde's foremost citizens.
Transcribed from E.F. Hollibaugh's Biographical history of Cloud County, Kansas biographies of representative citizens. Illustrated with portraits of prominent people, cuts of homes, stock, etc. [n.p., 1903] 919p. illus., ports. 28 cm.
Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project