The subject of this sketch is Elder Beaver, present pastor of the Christian churches at Osborn and Asherville. Elder Beaver is a native of North Carolina, born in 1851, at Statesville, county seat of Iredell county. His father was Eli Beaver, a miller by profession. The family emigrated to Illinois, in 1867, and settled in Biggsville, Henderson county, where Eli Beaver operated the Biggs flouring mill. In the early eighties he moved to Kansas and became associated with the mills at Delphos and Simpson, under the firm name of Kyser, Beaver & Company. His health failing, he sought the milder climate of Tennessee where he died in 1886. The Beaver ancestors were of German origin and settled in the colony known as the Pennsylvania Dutch in the early settlement of that state and in 1760, located in North Carolina. Reverend Beaver's mother was Lavina Beaver. Their fathers were of the same name, David Beaver, but in no way related. She died thirty-nine days prior to the death of her husband.
Elder Beaver is the youngest of two children, himself and an invalid sister who never walked front the time she was two and one-half years old, and died in 1887. Elder Beaver received a common school education during their residence in Illinois, and entered upon the profession of miller, saw miller and engineer, and ran an engine for several years. While engaged in the mercantile business in Glasco in 18845, he traded for the farm on which he now lives.
in 1887, he began a correspondence Bible course with Ashley S. Johnson of Kimberland Heights, Tennessee. In the year 1888, was ordained to the ministry and assumed his labors in the Christian church at Glasco. During the winter of that year took charge of the churches at Mayview, Jewell county, and Ada, Ottawa county. He began his evangelical work at Mayview and nine days' labor resulted in the addition of fifty-one converts. He held other successful revivals that year. His work continued in Ada and Mayview three years. During the years 1891-2-3, he labored in Randall, and preached to the Star church organization in Jewell county. For five years, beginning with 1893, he took charge of the work at Waterville and Miltonvale. His special work has been, building, remodeling churches, and paying off indebtedness. When he entered upon the charge at Randall so encumbered were they with debt, they were about to throw up the work. Through the efforts of Elder Beaver they were reorganized and put in a prosperous condition. The same conditions existed at Delphos and Miltonvale, the latter laboring under a debt of eight hundred dollars. At Osborn they were set free by the paying off of a four hundred dollar debt and in 1900 he built and dedicated a new house of worship at Asherville. During the twelve years of his ministry Elder Beaver has baptized seven hundred converts, and has been instrumental in the paying off of seven church debts that were almost hopeless. He has united one hundred couples in matrimony and he has received more people into the church at Glasco than any other pastor. During a revival of four weeks duration there were forty-six converts.
Elder Beaver was married, in 1872, to Miss Margaret E. Patrick, a daughter of Robert and Mary (Lane) Patrick. Mrs. Beaver was born and reared in Boone county, Illinois and came to Kansas with her parents in 1870. Robert Patrick took up a homestead on Mortimer creek where he died in 1879. Mrs. Patrick was married, in 1881, to T.J. McCullough, who died in 1890 Mrs. McCullough now resides in Glasco.
Elder Beaver's family of children consists of two sons; Robert Eli, a farmer living one mile southwest of Concordia. He was married to Lorena S. Best and to this union three children have been born; Gladys, Nesbitt and Roy. The youngest son George Henry, a young man who has just reached his majority, is a mute, the affliction having been brought about by an illness when an infant. He was a student of the Olathe school for mutes, and is a bright and ambitious young man, who reads and writes fluently. He had desired a higher education, but his health would not permit of such close confinement. He thrives better in the country and loves farm life.
Elder Beaver has one hundred and sixty acres of highly improved land. In 1886, he built a commodious house of eleven rooms and a barn 44 by 44 feet in dimensions. This country place bears the name of "Our Orchard Farm," and has one of the finest bearing orchards in the community. Among them are one hundred and fifty Genitan apple trees that bear largely each alternate year and many other varieties. Some of the trees are twenty years old and are abundant fruit bearers. He has a four-year-old orchard of peaches, pears and small fruit that seldom ever fails to yield largely.
Politically Elder Beaver is a Prohibitionist. At one time he was a Mason and a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythias and Sons and Daughters of Justice, but when he went into the ministry he dropped the lodges. "Our Orchard Farm" is one of the most beautiful homes in the vicinity of Glasco, where Elder Beaver and his estimable wife expect to enjoy that rest so desirable in the latter part of life's journey when one feels the evening shades approaching. Elder Beaver is a man of large individuality, broad minded and liberal in his views and much beloved by the members of his various parishes.
Transcribed from E.F. Hollibaugh's Biographical history of Cloud County, Kansas biographies of representative citizens. Illustrated with portraits of prominent people, cuts of homes, stock, etc. [n.p., 1903] 919p. illus., ports. 28 cm.
Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project