LANE WILLIAMS. One of the best known and most worthy agriculturists in Shawnee township is the gentleman whose name begins this review. His farm is located in sections 1, 2 and 12, township 33, range 25, and comprises 250 acres of fine farm land. Mr. Williams was born in Daviess County, Indiana, May 13, 1841. He is a son of James T. and Nellie (Woody) Williams, the former a native of White County, Tennessee, and the latter of North Carolina. The father moved with his parents to Indiana when that State was a Territory, and there located in Lawrence County.
On his father's farm in Lawrence County, Indiana, James T. Williams grew to manhood. Shortly after his marriage, he bought a farm in Daviess County, where he remained until 1854. Then he moved to Iowa, locating in Ringgold County. Only a short time was spent in Iowa, for a climate farther South was better suited to a Southerner by birth, and he chose Missouri for his future home, settling in Nodaway County. Selling his home in Missouri, he moved, in 1866, to Kansas, and occupied the farm now owned by the subject of this sketch.
A Southern Democrat, he was always loyal to his party, and during his residence in Missouri, was honored by being elected to the office of justice of the peace, in which capacity he served for eight years. He was made a Mason in Maryville, Missouri, and was demitted to the lodge at Columbus, Kansas.
James T. Williams married Nellie Woody, of Bedford, Indiana. Only two children were born to this union,Emeline, of Nebraska; and the subject of this sketch. The mother having died in 1845, Mr. Williams contracted a second marriage, wedding Rosanna Hackler.
Lane Williams received his mental training in one of the old-time log school houses which were so numerous in our grandfathers' days, in the rural districts of the Middle and Eastern States. He grew to manhood on his father's farm, and, with a farm experience dating from childhood, he naturally turned to that occupation for a livelihood. His present farm produces all the small grains, but Mr. Williams makes a specialty of wheat and corn, large fields of each being grown each year.
A follower of the Democratic party, Mr. Williams has several times been honored by election to office on its ticket. He was the first district clerk of Cherokee County, and for more than a quarter of a century has been a director of schools in his district. Fraternally, he belongs to the Masons, having been made a member of that order in Maryville, Missouri, and demitted to the lodge at Columbus, Kansas. He is also a well known member of the G. A. R.
In June, 1862, Mr. Williams enlisted in the 11th Reg., Missouri Vol. Cav., and was in the service until he was mustered out on August 5, 1865.
To the marriage of Mr. Williams and Clarinda Nash, a daughter of Timothy G. Nash, of Shawnee township, Cherokee County, six children have been born, namely: Nellie, wife of F. C. Lyerla, of Shawnee township; Rossa L., deceased; William W.; Julia A.; James O.; and Naomi. The family has recently suffered a sad bereavement in the death of a son, Rossa L., a promising young man with the brightest of futures before him. At the age of 23 years, while a ranchman in Idaho, he was seized with a sudden sickness and died August 14, 1904.
Mr. Nash, the father of Mrs. Williams, came from Nodaway County, Missouri, and settled in Kansas in April, 1866. For 30 years, he was interested in sawmills and operated them, besides attending to his farm affairs. As one of the oldest settlers in Cherokee County, he is well and favorably known, his acquaintance extending beyond the limits of the county.
History of Cherokee County Kansas and its representative citizens, ed. & comp. by Nathaniel Thompson Allison, 1904, transcribed by Myra A. Dinger, faculty from USD 508, Baxter Springs Middle School, Baxter Springs, Kansas, 04-10-97.
Tom & Carolyn Ward
Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project