Edwin St. George Noble

EDWIN ST. GEORGE NOBLE, who for a quarter of a century has been one of the prominent citizens and business men of Galena, has long been identified with the lead and zinc interests of this section and is at the present time president of the Galena Light & Power Company. He was born in County Meath, Ireland, in 1842, and is a son of Rev. Robert and Catherine (Burrowes) Noble.

Rev. Robert Noble was married October 25, 1833, to Catherine Burrowes, eldest daughter of Rev. James Annesley Burrowes, whose wife, Catherine Stock, was a daughter of Joseph Stock, D. D., Lord Bishop of Killala. Mrs. Noble was co-heir of Edward Smyth, Esq., of Callow Hill, County Fermanagh, Ireland, and a grand daughter of the Ven. James Smyth, Archdeacon of Meath, whose wife Catherine was a daughter of the Most Rev. John Vesey, Archbishop of Tuam. Mrs. Noble was born in County Sligo, Ireland, in 1809, and is still living at the advanced age of 95 years. She is a sister of the late Judge Burrowes of Kingston, Ontario. Rev. Robert Noble, father of our subject, was born August 29, 1796, and died October 2, 1870. He was a prominent clergyman in the Church of England, and for a period of 40 years was rector of Athboy Parish, County Meath, Ireland. He and his wife became parents of a large famly of children, among them being: William Henry, decreased; John D'Oyly, mayor of Petrolea, Ontario; Edwin St. George, subject of this biography; Robert D'Oyly, who was born July 6, 1846; Helen Catherine, who was married August 18, 1863, to Rev. Graham Craig, rector of Tullamore, and a son of Stewart Craig, Esq., of Banbridge, County Down, Ireland; Emily Mary, who was married May 25, 1864, to Robert Stewart Craig, Esq., son of Stewart Craig, Esq., of Banbridge, County Down, Ireland; and Maria Louisa, who was married April 7, 1877, to her first cousin, Edmond Noble Waller, Esq., third son of James Noble, Esq., of Allenstown, County Meath, Ireland.

A wedding that occurred June 14, 1904, at St. Catherine's Church, Tullamore, is of particular interest as the contracting parties are closely related to the Noble family. The occasion was the marrige of Helen Mary Stewart Craig, a daughter of Most Rev. Dean Craig, to Capt. Robert Annesley Craig of the Royal Artillery. Commander A. W. Craig was best man, while the bridesmaids were Miss Sybil Noble, a daughter of Gen. William Henry Noble, R. A., and a cousin of the bride, and Miss Muriel Toles-Durrow Abbey. The officiating clergyman was Most Rev. Dr. Keene, Lord Bishop of Meath, assisted by Rev. R. S. Craig and Rev. R. M. Craig. The costumes of the bridal party were creations of art, the decora- tions of the church superb, and withal it was an occasion long to be remembered by those fortunate enough to be present. The bride's presents were princely and included jewels of great value.

Gen. William Henry Noble, R. A., eldest son of Rev. Robert and Catherine (Burrowes) Noble, was born October 14, 1834. He received the degree of M. A. at Trinity College, also the degree of LL. D. He served as a lieutenant in the Royal Artillery and saw service in both hemispheres. He fought through the Afghan War, but will best be remembered as superintendent of gunpowder factories at Woolwich. During his tenure of that office he made numerous improvements in the manufactacture of prismatic gunpowder, was the author of many books on military subjects, and an inventor of many scientific instmments relating to military manufacture. He died in the service May 17, 1892, at that time ranking as general in the Royal Artillery. On July 11, 1861, he was united in marriage with Emily Marriott, eldest daughter of Frederick Marriott, Esq., of Taunton, Somersetshire, England, and this union resulted in the birth of seven children.

John D'Oyly Noble, second son of Rev. Robert and Catherine (Burrowes) Noble, was born November 17, 1835, and as early as 1862 came to America, locating in Canada. He was a vessel owner on the Canadian lakes until 1866, when he located at Petrolea, Ontario, as an oil operator. His first oil well yielded 266 barrels per day for three months, when a disasarous conflagration caused by the carelessness of an engineer of a neighboring well destroyed his and some 20 other wells. The flames spread over 10 acres of oil-saturated ground and leaped 100 feet high, the fire lasting two weeks. Mr. Noble then with others inaugurated a system of underground storage tanks, which they connected by pipe lines with the different refineries. He is one of the most enterprising oil producers of Canada, having been managing director of the Petrolea Oil Company, vice-president of the Petrolea Crude Oil and Tanking Company, vice-president and managing director of the Crown Warehousing Company, and is a large stockholder in each. He has consolidated all of his oil interests with others into a company known as the Canadian Oil Fields, Limited, and by bringing them under a single management has effected a great saving in running expenses. He has sunk and operated in all, over 300 wells, and has given employment to hundreds of men. Mr. Noble was appointed delegate to the first petroleum congress, which was held at Paris in 1900, during the Exposition. He read a paper on the Canadian oil industry before that body. For some years he occupied a seat on the Municipal Board of Petrolea and is at the present time serving in the capacity of mayor. In religious belief, he is an Episcopalian and has served as church warden and lay delegate to the Synod of Huron. August 26, 1869, he was united in marriage with Helen Kirkpatrick, who is a daughter of Judge Kirkpatrick, of Peterboro and a cousin of the late Lieutenant-Governor of Ontario. Four sons have blessed this union, namely: Robert Kirkpatrick, Stafford D'Oyly, James Burrowes and Ernest Annesley.

Edwin St. George Noble received his early education in Kingston, near Dublin, and at Brussels, Belgium, after which he completed a scientific course in the Royal College of Science, Dublin, pursuing special courses in mineralogy and chemistry. In December, 1860, he came to America to join his brother, John D. Noble, and immediately went to the latter's lead mines in Newton County, Missouri, known as Granby mines. He took charge of individual lead and zinc mines in and around Granby, Missouri, and in 1877 came to Galena, Kansas, to look over the field. He again came to Galena in 1880 and has remained here continuously ever since. He served as superintendent of various mining companies and also mined some on his own account. He had charge of the Cornwall Mining Company, the Stanley mine, the Galena Lead & Zinc Mining Company, the Cyclone Mines, the Wyandotte Lead & Zinc Company and the Owl Mining Company, whose property is located on Owl Creek, inside the city limits. He became identified with the Galena Light & Power Company, and in 1900 was elected president, a position he has filled in a most creditable manner since. The other officers are: A. M. McPherson, vice-president, and J. Shomon, secretary and treasurer. The plant has a 400-horsepower Corliss engine, two 200-pound marine boilers and a Morrison furnace. This company has been gradually extending its business and in 1903 began furnishing light and power to Empire City. Mr. Noble is also a member of Galena Commercial Club. He is one of the enterprising spirits of the city, and has an extensive acquaintance throughout this section of the State.


History of Cherokee County Kansas and its representative citizens, ed. & comp. by Nathaniel Thompson Allison, 1904, transcribed by Jennifer Bush, student from USD 508, Baxter Springs Middle School, Baxter Springs, Kansas, 4/9/97.


[TOC] [Biog. Index] [1904 Index] [Cherokee Co.] [Archives]
Tom & Carolyn Ward
Columbus, KS

tcward@columbus-ks.com

Background and KSGenWeb logo were designed and are copyrighted by
Tom & Carolyn Ward
for the limited use of the KSGenWeb Project.
Permission is granted for use only on an official KSGenWeb page.

Last updated 6/97


Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project