Pages 448-449, transcribed by Carolyn Ward from History of Butler County, Kansas by Vol. P. Mooney. Standard Publishing Company, Lawrence, Kan.: 1916. ill.; 894 pgs.


[IMAGE]
F. L. Preston, M. D.

  HISTORY OF BUTLER COUNTY 448 cont'd

F. L. Preston, M. D., is a native of Michigan, born in Grand Rapids in 1881, and is a son of Rev. C. L. and Della May (Reynolds) Preston. The father, now deceased, having been a Congregational minister, was of English lineage, the family coming from England to Virginia, where they were prominent in the affairs of that State in early Colonial days. Several members of the family in direst line of descent for several generations were ministers, other members being identified with the professions of law and medicine.

Dr. Preston's mother, Della May (Reynolds) Preston, is of Scotch


  HISTORY OF BUTLER COUNTY 449

descent, being a daughter of Volney and Christina Reynolds, of Waldron, Mich. C. L. and Della May (Reynolds) Preston were parents of six shildren,[sic] four of whom are now living, as follows: F. L. Preston, the subject of this sketch; C. C. Preston, Portland, Oregon; Mrs. Edna (Preston) Tuttle, Wooster, Ohio; Miss Erma Preston, Waldron, Michigan.

After a public school education, Dr. Preston entered the Presbyterian College of Alma, Mich., where he took a scientific course. Upon completing this, he entered North Western University of Chicago, Ill., where he was graduated with the degree of Doctor of Medicine, after which he took a post-graduate course, and work in the surgical department of Passavant Hospital of Chicago. During his course at Alma College, at Alma ,Mich., Dr. Preston served as student interne in the hospital of that city for a period of three years, and then did surgical work in Columbia Hospital in Chicago for the same length of time.

Dr. Preston was married in 1906 to Miss Gertrude Slaght. Dr. and Mrs. Preston came to El Dorado in October of 1911, where he has since been successfully engaged in practice. Dr. Preston has given special attention to surgery, and has, already, won the well merited reputation of being one of the successful surgeons, not only of Butler county, but of the State of Kansas. He has performed many delicate and difficult operations, in the course of his practice since coming to El Dorado, and has met with success to a marked degree.

Dr. Preston established the El Dorado Hospital in 1914, which of itself represents one of the most advanced steps in behalf of medicine and surgery in the history of Butler county. The wisdom of this move is now clearly apparent, more especially since the great industrial development in this county at the present time. There is scarcely a day passes but what this hospital receives several emergency cases, to say nothing of the demands made upon the institution in the regular treatment of ordinary cases. The hospital now has a capacity of twenty patients which is constantly taxed to the limit, and plans are under way for the erection of a more extensive hospital building to meet the rapidly increasing demand.


Previous | Main Page | Biography Index | Next


Pages 448-449, transcribed by Carolyn Ward from History of Butler County, Kansas by Vol. P. Mooney. Standard Publishing Company, Lawrence, Kan.: 1916. ill.; 894 pgs.


Tom & Carolyn Ward
Columbus, KS

tcward@columbus-ks.com


Background and KSGenWeb logo were designed and are copyrighted by
Tom & Carolyn Ward
for the limited use of the KSGenWeb Project.
Permission is granted for use only on an official KSGenWeb page.

© 2004 by Tom & Carolyn Ward


Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project