Pages 605-606, transcribed by Carolyn Ward from History of Butler County, Kansas by Vol. P. Mooney. Standard Publishing Company, Lawrence, Kan.: 1916. ill.; 894 pgs.


  HISTORY OF BUTLER COUNTY 605 cont'd

E. L. Neal, Whitewater, Kans., is a native of Sheyboygan county, Wisconsin, and is a son of G. W. Neal. For a geneological review of the Neal family, see sketch of L. J. Neal in this volume. G. W. Neal, the father of E. L. Neal, whose name introduces this sketch, was a Civil war veteran and served three years and four months in Company D, Third regiment, Wisconsin infantry. He was one of the veterans who saw much service in camp, on the march and on the field of battle. He was with Grant in the early part of the war with the Army of the West, and was with Sherman on his memorable march, and was severely wounded at the battle of Resaca, which ended his military career, as he was soon afterwards discharged by reason of disability, and returned to his Wisconsin home.

Shortly after the war the family removed to Michigan, where they remained for a time, when they went to Illinois, locating in De KaIb county, and in 1871 came to Kansas, locating at Coneburg, on the line of the Santa Fe railroad, which was then in the course of construction. About that time the name of Coneburg was changed to Peabody, in honor of F. H. Peabody, then president of the Santa Fe railroad. Mr. Peabody donated to the town a $10,000 library in consideration of the


606 HISTORY OF BUTLER COUNTY  

honor conferred upon him in giving the town his name. Soon after coming to Coneburg, or Peabody, G. W. Neal engaged in the grain and lumber business about the time the railroad was ready for operation, and he received the first car load of lumber that was shipped over the new railroad, and was one of the first to buy grain and other produce from the early settlers and ship it from that section. He also conducted a coal yard and continued in business in Peabody until 1884. In June, 1885, he removed to the new town of Brainerd, where he established a lumber yard and also engaged in the hardware business, and in 1889 he moved his stock of goods to Whitewater, where he and his son conducted the business until 1904, when L. J. Neal bought a half interest in the business and the brothers conducted it in partnership until the death of G. W. Neal in January, 1905. After the death of his father, E. L. Neal was in Wichita for a number of years, engaged in the hardware trade and during the last few years has been in Whitewater with L. M. Pace.

Mr. Neal was united in marriage December 15, 1891, to Mrs. Lillian (Horner) DeTalente, a daughter of Dr. John Horner. She died October 17, 1904. Mr. Neal is a Republican, and has always taken a keen interest in local politics. He has been a member of the Whitewater council and for six years was city clerk. He is perhaps one of the best posted men on local history in northwestern Butler county. In 1906 the Whitewater "Independent" published a historical edition, and Mr. Neal wrote the history of that section which appeared in the edition, and it stands today as one of the most authentic historical reviews of that section ever published.


Previous | Main Page | Biography Index | Next


Pages 605-606, transcribed by Carolyn Ward from History of Butler County, Kansas by Vol. P. Mooney. Standard Publishing Company, Lawrence, Kan.: 1916. ill.; 894 pgs.


Tom & Carolyn Ward
Columbus, KS

tcward@columbus-ks.com


Background and KSGenWeb logo were designed and are copyrighted by
Tom & Carolyn Ward
for the limited use of the KSGenWeb Project.
Permission is granted for use only on an official KSGenWeb page.

© 2004 by Tom & Carolyn Ward


Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project