Pages 679-680, transcribed by Carolyn Ward from History of Butler County, Kansas by Vol. P. Mooney. Standard Publishing Company, Lawrence, Kan.: 1916. ill.; 894 pgs.


  HISTORY OF BUTLER COUNTY 679 cont'd

Henry H. Marshall, now deceased, was a Butler county pioneer whose influence in the early days contributed in no small measure to the early development and upbuilding of Butler county. He was a capable business man, and with his keen foresight, saw the possibilities of the future greatness of Butler county when others could see nothing but the horizon, which seemed to surround this great unpeopled western waste.

Henry H. Marshall was a native of Indiana, born in Fountain county in 1846, of North Carolinan parentage. He was reared to manhood in his native State and in 1869 was united in marriage with Miss Mary A. Elwell. Two years later they came to Butler county, Kansas, and in 1871, Mr. Marshall bought a quarter section of land of Peter Johnson. This farm is two miles northeast of Leon and was a part of the Osage Indian trust lands, ceded to the United States in 1868. It was preempted in 1868, being on the northern boundary of the Osage Indian lands. Dr. Munson preempted this place in 1868 and later in the same year traded it to Peter Johnson for an ox team and wagon and Mr. Marshall bought it from Johnson in 1871 and paid $2,250. This land is now worth $150 per acre. It is all bottom land. Mr. Marshall also preempted a quarter section adjoining it in Little Walnut township. There was a small house on the Johnson place 12x18 feet, which Johnson built in 1868, and which is still standing. The lumber for this house was sawed from native timber at William Martin's mill at El Dorado.

Although Mr. Marshall had some capital when he came here, he began at the bottom, and experienced all the various phases of pioneer life. He had been a school teacher in Indiana, but after coming here devoted himself exclusively to farming and stock raising. He also bought and sold cattle extensively, and was a large feeder, and did a large volume of business. When he came here there was lots of game, and he has stood in the door of his home and shot deer, and while he was not a professional hunter, by any means, he kept his table well supplied with meat in the early days, without any unusual effort. In 1874, when this section of the State received outside aid on account of the devastation of the grasshoppers, Mr. Marshall was appointed one of the distributors of the supplies, and conducted this work in a manner that gave entire satisfaction to all concerned.

Mr. Marshall was a man who was very kind to animals and would


680 HISTORY OF BUTLER COUNTY  

never permit one to be abused. In the early days he used a great many mules in his farming operations and after these animals became old and decrepit they were pensioned by being cared for just as well as when they were in the prime of their usefulness. They never were required to do any work after reaching the decrepit age. In 1914 one of these mules died at the age of thirty-four years. And in 1915 two others died which had attained the age of thirty-five years. And in 1916 one died that had attained the age of thirty-six years.

Mr. Marshall continued to buy land, after coming to this county until he became the owner of over 2,000 of valuable land. He died in November, 1911, at the age of sixty-six years, and thus came to a close the career of one of Butler county's most successful pioneer citizens. His wife passed away in April, 1912. The following children of this honored pioneer couple survive: Morton W., William S., John A., Etta M., and Grace E. Morton W. Marshall, the eldest of the family, was born July, 1870, and is a successful lumber dealer at Leon, Kans., having been engaged in that business there for twenty-six years. He was married to Miss Eleanor, daughter of W. J. Martin, a prominent pioneer of Butler county. The following children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Marshall: Vivian, Jean L. and Shirley.

William S. Marshall was born in November, 1872, and is engaged in the banking business at Leon. He was married in December, 1903, to Miss Lyndia Dedrick, a daughter of J. J. Dedrick, and three children have been born to this union: Aneta, Arlone, and Ruth.

John A. Marshall was born in November, 1874, and is a prominent implement dealer of Leon, Kans. Etta M. married Bert R. Smith, a banker of Reece, Kans.; and Grace E., married H. S. Dedrick and lives on the old homestead in Little Walnut township. All the members of the Marshall family are prominent and well to do citizens, and belong to that substantial type of citizens who make for the betterment of the political, industrial, and social world.


Previous | Main Page | Biography Index | Next


Pages 679-680, transcribed by Carolyn Ward from History of Butler County, Kansas by Vol. P. Mooney. Standard Publishing Company, Lawrence, Kan.: 1916. ill.; 894 pgs.


Tom & Carolyn Ward
Columbus, KS

tcward@columbus-ks.com


Background and KSGenWeb logo were designed and are copyrighted by
Tom & Carolyn Ward
for the limited use of the KSGenWeb Project.
Permission is granted for use only on an official KSGenWeb page.

© 2004 by Tom & Carolyn Ward


Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project