Pages 746-747, transcribed by Carolyn Ward from History of Butler County, Kansas by Vol. P. Mooney. Standard Publishing Company, Lawrence, Kan.: 1916. ill.; 894 pgs.


  HISTORY OF BUTLER COUNTY 746 cont'd

D. R. Blankinship, an extensie[sic] land owner and stockman of Rosalia township, is one of the early settlers of Butler county. Mr. Blankinship was born in Vermillion county, Illinois, February 24, 1844. He is a son of William C. and Almeda Blankinship, natives of North Carolina who removed from that State to Illinois at a very early day. D. R. Blankinship came to Kansas in 1869, and the following year homesteaded a quarter section of land in Rosalia township, filing on it May 10, 1870. He built a log house on his claim, 14x16 feet, using in its construction all the logs that he could find. Had he been able to find more logs, no doubt he would have built a larger house. His parents located in Rosalia township in 1870 and the father homesteaded 160 acres adjoining the claim of D. R.

When D. R. Blankinship came here, he was favorably impressed with the country, but his capital was limited and during the first few years progress was slow. He had a team of horses and shortly after coming here one of them died. He had no money to replace his horse, so he sold the other one, or rather traded it, taking a pig and a cow in


  HISTORY OF BUTLER COUNTY 747

part payment. During his first year or two here he worked out for other settlers part of the time, taking his pay in provisions. He started in the cattle business by buying calves. He next traded some of his calves for a team of oxen, but fate seemed to pursue his motor power, and one of his oxen was killed by lightning and, resorting to his usual remedy for a broken team he sold the other one the next day. Mr. Blankinship did the first plowing that was done in the township and also built the second house. In February, 1870, he sowed wheat and oats on the burnt prairie and turned it under. From this he reaped eleven bushels of wheat and twenty-five bushels of oats of good quality, to the acre. When the stage line was established from Ft. Scott to Wichita the stage station was established at Mr. Blankinship's place. They paid only after three months' service. A man by the name of Tom Taylor was carrying the mail and just before pay day Taylor skipped the country and failed to pay Mr. Blankinship for taking care of the horses for the quarter. He had his ups and downs in the early days but eventually he began to prosper and buy more land from time to time, until he has become one of the large land owners of Butler county, owning over 4,300 acres. He had been here just forty-three years, when he owned the above stated amount of land which is an accumulation of 100 acres for every year that he has lived in Butler county, which is not so bad. Mr. Blankinship has followed general farming as well as stock raising, and has been very successful in his undertaking. He now has most of his land rented, and is taking life easier than he did, during the strenuous pioneer days in this county.

Mr. Blankinship was married in 1864, to Miss Hannah A. Brown, a native of Indiana, and a daughter of Isaac Brown. Seven children have been born to this union, four of whom are living, as follows: Martin A., Charles A., LeRoy A.. and A. Z., all residing in Rosalia township. During all the uncertain days of early Butler county, Mr. Blankinship managed to weather whatever storm or stress came. In 1874, he was made distributor of supplies sent to aid the settlers after the grasshopper devastation. He has always taken a commendable interest in local affairs and for good government of his county and State, but has never aspired to be a politician. He was constable of his township in 1872, and has served for a number of terms on the school board, always taking a deep interest in educational matters. Mr. Blankinship is a man who is held in the highest esteem by his neighbors and his many friends and acquaintances throughout Butler county. He is one of Butler county's substantial pioneer citizens, and is always ready and willing to further the best interests of his community.


Previous | Main Page | Biography Index | Next


Pages 746-747, transcribed by Carolyn Ward from History of Butler County, Kansas by Vol. P. Mooney. Standard Publishing Company, Lawrence, Kan.: 1916. ill.; 894 pgs.


Tom & Carolyn Ward
Columbus, KS

tcward@columbus-ks.com


Background and KSGenWeb logo were designed and are copyrighted by
Tom & Carolyn Ward
for the limited use of the KSGenWeb Project.
Permission is granted for use only on an official KSGenWeb page.

© 2004 by Tom & Carolyn Ward


Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project