Pages 593-595, transcribed by Carolyn Ward from History of Butler County, Kansas by Vol. P. Mooney. Standard Publishing Company, Lawrence, Kan.: 1916. ill.; 894 pgs.
|HISTORY OF BUTLER COUNTY||593 cont'd|
J. A. Barkalow, M. D., a prominent Butler county physician and surgeon, located at Rose Hill, is a son of T. P. and Mary (Lloyd) Barkalow, who spent most of their lives in Montgomery and Warren counties, Ohio. Dr. Barkalow, the subject of this sketch, was born near Dayton, Ohio, in 1855. His father was a farmer and moved with his family to McLean county, Illinois, in 1864, where they made their home until 1885, when they went to Florida for their health and spent the remainder of their lives here. Dr. Barkalow received a good education, and entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Keokuk, Iowa, where he was graduated with the degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1881. He engaged in practice at Lawndale, Ill., until 1883, when he went to Elkhart, Ill.
In 1881, Dr. Barkalow was married to Miss Leonora H. Berry, of Towanda, Ill. Her parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. G. Berry, and family came to Butler county, and settled on a farm, one mile east of where Rose Hill now stands, in 1884. A year later Dr. Barkalow came with Mrs. Barkalow and established themselves here, Dr. Barkalow maintaining his of-
|594||HISTORY OF BUTLER COUNTY|
fice at the Berry farm house. At that time what was called Rose Hill consisted of two stores and a blacksmith shop. Walter J. Harris, father of W. N. Harris, the well known merchant of Rose Hill, conducted the blacksmith shop. H. C. Staley kept one of the small general stores and also the postoffice, and Ferdinand Meeker ran the other store and was postmaster when the administration at Washington changed. When the present Rose Hill was laid out in 1888, Dr. Barkalow established his office and residence there, where he has since been engaged in practice.
With the death of Dr. J. R. McCluggage and the election of Dr. J. D. Hamilton to the office of county treasurer, Dr. Barkalow observes, that only Dr. S. T. Shelly of Mulvane and himself are left, of the "Old Guard" of country doctors who have answered the call of the ailing, at all times of day or night, and in all kinds of weather, during the past thirty years in southern Butler and eastern Sedgwick counties. During this time, Dr. Barkalow has been called upon to exert his skill in a wide range of practice. He has enjoyed much satisfaction through this practice and the associations with the wholesome farming community, yet he has not been entirely satisfied with his lot. He has ever striven to gain higher knowledge and skill, and endeavoring to better his condition by improving the social and material welfare of his community.
Dr. Barkalow is independent in politics. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows Lodge of Rose Hill, and the Masonic Lodge as Douglass. Dr. and Mrs. Barkalow have one daughter, Lulu, now the wife of E. H. Brettmann, of Wichita. In his professional work of considerably over a quarter of a century, Dr. Barkalow has not only built up a large practice, but has won a host of friends among his wide acquaintance.
Previous | Main Page | Biography Index | Next
Pages 592-594, transcribed by Carolyn Ward from History of Butler County, Kansas by Vol. P. Mooney. Standard Publishing Company, Lawrence, Kan.: 1916. ill.; 894 pgs.
| Tom & Carolyn Ward
Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project