|OF BARTON COUNTY, KANSAS||271|
IN the early days of Barton County it was a sportsman's paradise, but after the extermination of the buffaloes and antelopes from this part of the state, hunters were compelled to be satisfied with quail, prairie chickens and water fowl. Each year when the ducks and geese and other migratory birds pass over this part of the country in the spring and fall, many of them stop and are found on the marshes, creeks and rivers in large numbers. The people of Barton County are hunters by heredity because of the fact that the first settlers in this section depended a great deal on their prowess with the gun for their food. In 1905 a number of the citizens of the county got together and organized the Barton County Sportsmen's Association, the object being to maintain hunting privileges in different parts of the county. The organization was a success from the beginning and it now controls the hunting privileges on about six sections of land in the Cheyenne Bottoms which is but a short distance northeast of Great Bend. Here the ducks and other water fowls are found in large numbers at certain times of the year and here the members of the organization enjoy what many believe to be the grandest of all sports. The officers of the organization are C. D. Spaugh, president.; Lester Cox, secretary and treasurer, and these together with E. W. Seward, Ben McMullen and C. W. Scherzer form the board of directors. The association now has about 125 members
PROMINENT among the really old timers of Barton County is John West Pascoe who came here at a time when the county was just in the beginning of its history. He was born in Cornwall, England, October 28, 1833. He came to America May 8, 1856, and landed at Philadelphia. From there he went to Ontanogan County, Michigan, and from there came to the State of Kansas and arrived in Russell County April 19, 1871, and from there came to Barton County in July of the same year. He located on the west line of Great Bend township, the land comprising the northwest quarter of section 18. He went back to Michigan June 2, 1872, where he remained until July 19, 1873. He located in Eureka township and until 1903 was actively engaged in farming. In that year he retired and now lives in Great Bend at 1607 Williams street where he has a neat comfortable home. He was married January 26, 1854 to Miss Grace Dyer. To this union there were born seven children, five of whom are living. Elizabeth and Clara are both dead, and those living are as follows. Paul is farming in this county and is mentioned in another part of this book; Rebekah is Mrs. William Thomas of Kansas City; Elizabeth Anne is now Mrs. Edward Harper and resides in Great Bend; Martha is now Mrs. William White; and Maria is now Mrs. Samuel White of Great Bend. Mr. Pascoe's first wife died February 28, 1889. September 28, 1889, Mr. Pascoe married Mrs. Anna Watts of Great Bend. They have one adopted child, Ruth Anne who now is nine years of age. Mr. Pascoe is one of the best known residents of Barton County. He is a prominent member of the Masonic fraternity. His son Paul and grandsons are also prominent in this order. The elder Mr. Pascoe has been a member of the Blue Lodge and the Chapter for .... years.
He had the pleasure of seeing his son Paul
and two grandsons initiated into the Royal Arch and the Knights Templar degrees of Masonary at the same time. They also are members of the Coinsstory at Wichita and are 32nd degree masons. Mr. Pascoe is one of those hardy men who blazed the way that made possible the development of this county to one of which all its residents are justly proud.
Since the above was written John W. Pascoe has passed from this life to his reward in Heaven. The following is from the Daily Tribune of July 13th, 1912.
John W. Pascoe died this noon at 10 minutes of 1 at his home in this city. He had been suffering from a general breakdown and the last several months had been very feeble in health. No arrangements have yet been announced regarding the funeral services but they will undoubtedly be held under the auspices of the Masonic order of which he was a devoted member. Mr. Pascoe had been a resident of this county for nearly forty years, coming here from Michigan. He was born in England and grew to manhood in that country. He was a man of absolute honesty and integrity and enjoyed the respect of everyone who knew him. Further particulars regarding the deceased will be given in a later issue.
Mr. Pascoe was a zealous Mason and it was his pleasure to see his son and two grandsons join the lodge of which he thought so much. It is not often that such a distinction is enjoyed by any lodge, that of three generations belonging to the same lodge.
The funeral services will be held Monday afternoon, July 15, at 2:30 o'clock at the Methodist church.
He was a man of absolute honesty and integrity, was devoted to his family and enjoyed the respect of all who knew him. He was a devout Christian and during most of his life was a consistent member of the Methodist church. He was a prominent member of the Masonic fraternity of this city and a member of the Consistory in Wichita.
He leaves to mourn his loss a wife, five children, twenty-three grand-children, two great grand children and a large circle of friends.
Funeral services were held this afternoon from the Methodist church, this city.
E. J. Dodge, (See page 80)
|OF BARTON COUNTY, KANSAS||273|
THERE are very few, if any, old timers of Barton County who did not know Richard Taylor, or "Dick," as he was commonly called by those who knew him best. Dick arrived in America shortly after the close of the civil war in 1865, a typical Englishman, whose love for his native landwhere he belonged to the farming classesmade him believe that outside of England there was very little worth while. Small of stature, but possessed of unlimited physical energy, he at once entered the field of active effort in this country, his first venture being in the brokerage business in Milwaukee, Wis., with an uncle, Richard Peough. He remained there a few years, after which he came to Kansas and located first at Russell in Russell County. This was in 1872 and it was but a short time after his arrival there that he engaged in the lumber business with Mr. Yoxall in Great Bend. In those days lumber was sold by this firm to parties in Barton County, the lumber being freighted in wagons. It might be interesting to know that white pine was about the only lumber obtainable at that time, and with the high freight rates and big expense in handling it sold for about the same price that it brings today. In 1875 Dick engaged in the farming business a short distance northwest of Great Bend where he still resides. His home place is known as Walnut Hill Stock Farm and is one of the most desirable and highly improved farms in the county. Mr. Taylor makes a specialty of raising thoroughbred Hereford cattle; his herd is one of the finest in this part of the country. Mr. Taylor was born in Hereford, England, July 10, 1844, and left there for America when he was 21 years of age. His liking for Hereford cattle is due to the fact that his birthplace is the home of this famous breed. He was married November 21, 1875, to Miss Rachel Slack and they are the parents of three children as follows: Annie R., Arthur E., and Thomas R. Annie and Thomas are residing at the old home place while Arthur E. is in the real estate, insurance and farm loan business in Great Bend. Arthur was born in Barton County April 17, 1880, and was married January 4, 1905, to Miss Mable Brinkman and they are the parents of two children: Lillian and Elizabeth. When Dick Taylor arrived in Barton County he was accompanied by two brothers, Harry, who died after he had been here about two years and Thomas, who is now engaged in the cattle business in Kiowa County. Mrs. Taylor is a daughter of Rachel Slack, who arrived in Barton County in 1873 from Oswego, New York. Her husband was killed in the civil war. She located on land two miles north of Dartmouth. She was born November 29, 1827, at Leeds, England, and died January 1, 1812.[sic] Dick Taylor was the third mayor of Great Bend and also served as the county assessor in the early days. In 1910 Mr. Taylor took a trip back to England and while he had always pointed with pride to England as the leader in everything, he found that the methods that he had learned in the United States wore superior to thosee in
use in his native land. In the free and easy days of the first settlements in this county there were numerous tests of physical skill and strength in the way of boxing and wrestling bouts and in these lines Dick Taylor was frequently pitted against men much larger than himself and always came out of the frays with flying colors much to the surprise of his larger opponents. When Mr. Taylor arrived in this country he had only seventeen suits of clothes, but unfortunately the style worn at that time by the best dressed people of England did not fit very well with some of the dictates of fashion in America. However, as soon as possible Mr. Taylor secured for his wardrobe a number of suits containing the highest class of American style and quality. Mr. Taylor is justly proud of his ancestry and native country but has always been a patriotic and progressive American and a citizen whom any community might desire, especially a community such as Barton County was at the time he took up his residence here. This is true because it is such men as Mr. Taylor who were required to withstand the hardships and make a productive section out of barren prairie land.
GREAT BEND was designated a postofoffice of the fourth class in 1872 the first postmaster being Mr. Fossil. The first building used as a postofficea likeness of which is shown herewithis now used as a residence in the northeast part of town. Great Bend was designated a postoffice of the second class in 1902 and in 1906 had reached a point where it was possible to make successful application for free delivery in the city. City free delivery was established that year with three carriers, the number having been added to as demand required. The first rural route out of Great Bend was put on September 1, 1904, and in 1912 this number had been increased to six. In 1890 the receipts of the office were $5,666, this being the amount for the year ending June 1, 1890. For the year ending June 1, 1893, the amount of receipts of the office was $5,175, for 1902, $7,484, for 1905 $10,977, for 1909 $17,875 and at the close of the postoffice year June 1, 1912, the preceding twelve months showed a total of $18,102. By an act of congress in 1908 an appropriation was made for a federal building at Great Bend to cost $65.000. It will be completed and ready for occupancy before the first of the year. It is a fine building, built of granite. Is fire proof throughout and will be furnished according to the latest ideas and the well known demands of the government for substantial quality and beauty. The present postmaster is Theodore Griffith who has served since August, 1902. He has been an efficient and conscientious official and has discharged the duties of the office in a way that has met universal commendation.
Mr. Fossil, Great Bend's First Postmaster
|OF BARTON COUNTY, KANSAS||275|
Great Bend's First Postoffice
U. S. Postoffice, Great Bend, Aug. 3, 1912
Elks Home, Great Bend
|OF BARTON COUNTY, KANSAS||277|
THE Great Bend Lodge No. 1127, Benevolent Protective Order of Elks was organized Oct. 1908. Previous to this there were a number of gentlemen of Great Bend belonged to the Hutchinson lodge but in 1908 Great Bend had reached a population of 5,000 and a charter was issued for a lodge. There were fifty charter members and in 1909 the membership had increased to something over 400, when steps were taken which resulted in the building of the beautiful home for members of the order in Great Bend. The home was dedicated March 17, 1910. The exalted rulers of the lodge since it was organized have been R. C. Russell, 1908-09; Dr. R. H. Meade, 1910; William Smythe, 1911 and J. L. Cox, 1912. At the present time the lodge has a membership of 607 and the officers are: J. L. Cox, Exalted Ruler; F. W. Brinkman, Esteemed Leading Knight; Dr. Stinson, Esteemed Loyal Knight; Wells Thompson, Esteemed Lecturing Knight; W. L. Bowersoxx, secretary; E. L. Chapman, treasurer; W. L. Delaplane, Inside Guard; Justus Sandrock, Outside Guard. The Great Bend Lodge is known in Elkdom as being one of the livest organizations of the order and this is saying a great deal as all Elk bodies are live ones.
AMONG the few business men of Great Bend who came here in the '80s and went through the good and bad times, and are here today and still in business is Charles A. Hooper. He was born in Adams County, Indiana, September 29, 1860, and came from there to the State of Kansas in 1878. He first located at Atchison where he remained until 1886 when he came to Barton County and opened a drug store on the lot now occupied by the Ideal Bakery. At the end of six months the business had grown to such an extent that more room was needed and the stock was moved to the corner of Lakin and Main street where the Wagaman store is now located. Mr. Hooper remained there a year and moved to his present location, 1507-9 Main street. Before coming to Kansas Mr. Hooper attended the Valparaiso College and Notre Dame College of Indiana where he fitted himself for a pharmacist and is now registered in the State of Kansas. Mr. Hooper was married September 4, 1883, to Miss Margaret Kennedy of Atchison and they are the parents of six children, five of whom are living as follows: Irene, who is now Mrs. J. P. Healy of Oklahoma City; Chas. Warren is attending John Hopkins University of Baltimore, Maryland; Ulanda, Jacob and Muriel are living at home. Mrs. Healoy is a talented singer while her sister, Muriel, is a violinist of exceptional ability. Mr. Hooper's busines in this city has grown steadily since its inception and his establishment is now recognized as being one of the largest drug, music and book stores in this section of the country. The stores occupy two large rooms with balconies making a total floor space of 105,000 square feet. In the drug department can be found an exceptionally fine line of drugs, chemicals, toilet articles and the soda fountain is one of the best equipped and most sanitary to be found in Central Kansas. In the music department Mr. Hooper carries a line of pianos that compare favorably with the stock found in the largest cities and here one can obtain any kind of a musical instrument as well as sheet music, Victor talking machines and a complete line of records for these instruments. Then Mr. Hooper also makes a specialty of wall paper, books, stationery and he has built his business to its present high standing by correct methods and square dealing policies. When Mr. Hooper located in Great Bend it required men of great fortitude and keen business knowledge to overcome the adverse conditions with which they had to contend. However, Mr. Hooper was equal to the occasion and saw his business grow until it stands today among the leading mercantile establishments of Barton County and the State of Kansas.
THE first steps for the organization of the First National Bank were taken on May 9, 1885 when the call was issued by Mr. McBride for a meeting for that purpose. Mr. zation committee and was the first vice-president of the bank.[sic]
The first board of directors consisted of Mr. McBride, E. M. Parlin, W. H. Campbell, G. H. Hulme, R. C. Bailey, E. L. Chapman, C. F. Willner, J. H. Hubbard and John Lindas. The charter was issued by H. W. Cannon, then comptroller of the currency, on the 7th day of July, 1885 and it began the transaction of business with E. M. Parlin president and R. C. Bailey as cashier.
Officers of the bank since the date of its organization have been:
PresidentsE. M. Parlin, July 7, 1885 to July 31, 1888; J W. Rush, July 31, 1888 to October 6, 1892; E. L. Chapman, October 6, 1892 to June 13, 1894; G. H. Hulme, vice-president and acting president, June 13, 1894 to January 14, 1895; G. L. Chapman, January 14, 1895 to March 20, 1911; R. L. Hamilton, March 20, 1911 to July 1, 1911; Chas. Lobdell, July 1, 1911.
CashiersR. C. Bailey, July 7, 1885 to January 10, 1888; S. E. Prentis, January 10, 1888 to July 23, 1891; C. M. Wickwire, July 23, 1888 to November 2, 1891; G. L. Chapman, November 2, 1891 to January 14, 1895; H. J. Klein, January 11, 1898 to January 14, 1902; Ed L. Chapman, January 14, 1902 to June 1, 1912; F. H. Miller, June 1, 1912.
G. L. Chapman
The real history of the bank began with the election of G. L. Chapman as cashier in 1891 and he was from that date to the date of his death, the active manager and guiding genius of the bank, carrying it through the panic of 1893 and the years of depression that followed. The story of the bank has been one of remarkable successit having notwithstanding the necessary losses incident to the collapse of the boom of 1886 and '87 and the panic of '93, made a net earning during the period of its existence, up to July 1st of the present year of $167,455.98 and with its capital of $100,000 and surplus of $20,000, it is today one of the strongest financial institutions of the Southwest.
|OF BARTON COUNTY, KANSAS||279|
September 9, 1912, the First National completed a business arrangement which resulted in nearly doubling its deposits and which has made it the strongest bank in the State of Kansas in a town the size of Great Bend and one of the strongest in the country. The deal resulted in the consolidation of the J. V. Brinkman Company Bank with the First National. The Brinkman Bank was the oldest institution of the kind in the western part of the state and its deposits were among the largest of any state bank of Kansas.
The consolidation of the banks resulted in a slight change in the directorate of the institution. C. E. Lobdell remained president of the institution, with Chas. V. Brinkman vice-president. Peter Brack of Olmitz was added to the directorate and Frank Brinkman was made assistant cashier. The officers and directors of the bank are as follows: C. E. Lobdell, president; R. H. Hamilton, vice-president; Chas. V. Brinkman, vice-president; Fred Miller, cashier. Directors: C. E. Lobdell, C. V. Brinkman, Peter Brack, Ola B. Chapman, R. L. Hamilton, F. V. Russell, W. Torrey, E. J. Eveleigh. The institution has deposits amounting to nearly one million dollars.
E. L. Chapman
E. L. CHAPMAN was born in Bath England, and came to Great Bend in 1873. Immediately after his arrival he took an active part in all public matters and up until the time of his death which occurred June 13, 1894, he was one of the best known men in the state. He took up a homestead in Buffalo township, in this county. He was elected Probate judge on an independent ticket in 1874 and was also elected to this office two successive terms on the Republican ticket. He was appointed postmaster of Great Bend by President Garfield and served nearly five years. During the Harrison-Cleveland campaign he was nominated for presidential elector from the Seventh District of Kansas at a convention held in Garden City. He later resigned this office to become a candidate for state senator and was elected by a flattering majority. He served but one term in this office, resigning to accept the appointment of receiver of the U. S. land office at Larned. This appointment was made by President Harrison. He organized the First National Bank of Great Bend in 1885 and it is now one of the leading financial institutions of the state.
The following is taken from the Kansas State Directory of 1889:
"E. L. Chapman, of Great Bend, Barton County, representing the Thirty-sixth Senatorial District, has long been identified with the interests of Central Kansas, his name being connected with many of the enterprises having for their obect the development of the Arkansas Valley. As editor and publisher of a newspaper he has always advocated all legitimate propositions tending to benefit the people of Barton County, and his paperThe Registerhas always been a power for good in Barton County. During the last campaign (1888) Senator Chapman had a hard battle but succeeded in gaining a victory over his opponents. He is a member of Pap Thomas Post, G. A. R. of Great Bend and was among the number whose names appeared on the charter for this organization. He entered the U. S. army in 1861 and was mustered out in 1865, having served as Provost Marshal of the Department of the Cumberland. He was married to Anna Jones at Paducah, Kentucky, in 1864, and they are the parents of four children: General L., Laura, Leo and Edward." Mr. Chapman numbered his friends by the score and his death was an occasion for much grief in the community where he had proved himself to be a kind and generous man.
ONE of the most notable examples of what a harbor of freedom the United States is, and a proof that all men in it are free and equal is Peter Brack of Olmitz, Barton County. He was born in the village of Popotchnaja, Russia, and was one of four children and with the usual prospects offered those residents of the Czar's realm who are not fortunate enough to be classed among the land owners or nobility. In Russia a man may have enough land to be called a farmer but he rents that and as a rule it is a little one to four acre patch of ground on which he raises mighty small crops, considering the amountt of work he puts in on it, and he meets the taxes, the rent and cost of repairs as though he owned the land, and no matter how poor the crop might be, the share system only works when the owner of the land gets his share first and the tenant takes what is left. Mr. Brack was fired by the stories of riches to be found in America but did not imagine that money grew on trees, and could be had for picking it off, but he thought of the injustice of the system which denied him and his brothersalthough as intelligent as the other children of the countrythe right of freedom. The stories of the new world appealed to him, satisfied that if given a chance he could make good, he with his young wife, mother and three brothers and families, joined a coloney starting for America. They arrived in New York October 21, 1876. Peter was then nineteen years old. His first position in Barton County after he arrived here was with L. M. Krause, working on his farm at $8.00 per month. Later he took up farming with three brothers near Olmitz and after a short time he went to Colorado where he worked for the railroad for some time. In 1883 he started a country store on his eight acre farm in this county, with a stock consisting of $800 worth of goods. Looking ahead to the development of his land, he having always lived in a farming country, knew that it was in farming that money was to be made. He was interested in seeing that his people got a good start and was a great help to other families that came to Barton County from his old home in Russia. These people were part of the colony of which the Bracks made up a part, and which is explained more fully in another article in this book. Mr. Brack has always been a leader among his countrymen in this country and those who were helped by him helped him in return when the fruits of their labor on the farms were successful. But if the farm had not paid well, he would never had received anything in return for what he loaned. The farm land made good and his money was returned to him. He invested in lands and saw that they paid. In the '90s when there were years of crop failures the Russian colony knew that it was only a cycle of poor years like they had known in Russia, and they stayed by the lands. As land got cheaper the young merchant saw his chance and began investing with the result that he now owns in Western Kansas nearly 100 quarter sections of land owns stock in several banks, is president of the bank at Olmitzwhich became a necessity as the community prospered and gave up his store to retire from active business a few years ago. Two years ago he made a trip to the old country and on his return wrote a most interesting account of his travels. He is a shrewd, thorough business man, well content to live among the neighbors with whom he has shared joys and woes for thirty-five years and yet is a modern American business man. He is a product of the United States and proves the opportunity it has offerer to the people of all nations. Blessed with no children of his own, he and his wife have an adopted daughter, now Mrs. Constantine Schneider who with her husband share their palatial home in Olmitz, one of the finest appointed houses in the county.
Previous Section | Transcriber's Index: A-B, C-F, G-K, L-N, O-S, T-Z | Next Section
Transcribed from Biographical history of Barton County, Kansas. ; Illustrated. Published by Great Bend Tribune, Great Bend, KS : 1912. 318 p. : ill. ; 28 cm. Transcribed by Carolyn Ward, July 2006.
| Tom & Carolyn Ward
Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project