|OF BARTON COUNTY, KANSAS||181|
Residence of F. H. Ewing
F. H. Ewing Stock Farm
THE "F. H. Ewing Pedigreed Stock Farm," located eleven and one-half miles west of Great Bend, is owned and managed by F. H. Ewing & Co., a firm composed of the father and sons. They breed and sell thoroughbred Black Percheron horses, Shetland ponies of the Scotch type, pure blooded Shorthorn cattle, Poland China hogs and White acres in Pawnee County. Both are well improved, well cultivated, and are valuable bodies of land. "King wheat" seeds most of the acres, but corn, oats, Kaffir corn, alfalfa Wyandotte chickens. This farm covers three hundred and twenty acres, and Mr. Ewing owns another farm of four hundred and eighty and native grass all are grown, and the meadows are dotted with thoroughbred stock, whose ancestry came from across the ocean. This branch of the farm's business has been of slow growth, but Mr. Ewing has gradually collected his herds and will eventually make it his leading business, although his stock has been [sic]
shipped to many counties in the state since he has been a breeder. He has been an exhibitor and has many prizes to show that prove his animals to be the very best of their type in the state. The improvements on this farm are a two story white frame house of eleven rooms; a barn 48x80; an elevator, garage, poultry house and numerous other small buildings. The premises are well fenced and well cared for and many trees and plants add beauty.
Fred H. Ewing was born April 7th, 1873, near Lehigh, Webster County, Iowa, and is the second son of John R. and Hannah Elizabeth Ewing. He came to Barton County in 1885 with his parents and grew to manhood here. He was educated in the public schools of his district and at the Central Normal College of Great Bend, and was trained as a farmer and breeder by his father. On June 8th, 1898, he married Miss Lucy Gilmore, of Great Bend, and they have been blessed with four children: Lionel Frederick, 12; James Lowell, 6; Cleva Iolene, 3; and Olita Margaret, 1.
Home of James Thomas McDonald
JAMES THOMAS McDONALD was born February 15, 1871 in Hampshire County, West Virginia. In the same year he came to Missouri with his parents. He remained there for eleven years and then came to Franklin County, Kansas. After living in that county for five years he came to Stafford County and from there came to Barton County in 1901, and immediately began the business of farming. He owns a well improved quarter section six miles south of Great Bend which he farms himself. In addition to his home place he also farms a quarter section of land west and from this it can be seen that he is a mighty busy man. In 1895 he was married to Miss Daisy D. Piper and to this union there were born three children: Earl Thomas, seventeen years of age; Edna D., twelve years of age, and Elma Viola who died in 1910 when she was seven years of age. In 1904 Mr. McDonald was married to Miss Leana Ollie Schneck. The home place has a residence of eight rooms, a large barn 32 by 40 feet with a big loft. Mr. McDonald has made one of the best farms in that section of the country, of his home place and of course has seen good and bad years during his eleven years residence in Barton County. On an average however he has done well and his place is maintained according to the best farming methods. The best of live stock, both cattle and horses are maintained by Mr. McDonald and that he is a good farmer and understands modern methods is evidenced on every side. He is one of the many farmers who came here early in the present century and it is due to their efforts as much as those who came in the wild and wooly days that Barton County occupies such a prominent position in the list of the best agricultural counties of the state.
|OF BARTON COUNTY, KANSAS||183|
Residence of Paul James Pascoe
PAUL JAMES PASCOE was born in Rockland, Ontanogan County, Michigan, July 29, 1861. He is a son of J. W. Pascoe, and was one of the first English speaking boys in Barton County. His father whose biography is found in another part of this book came to Kansas in the spring of 1871 and first located in Russell County where he remained a short time and then returned to Michigan. He stayed there for a year and returned to Kansas and since that time has been one of the best known farmers of Barton County. Paul James Pascoe has been farming for himself for the past twenty-two years and owns the west half of section 30, Eureka township. He was married in June, 1885, to Miss Mary Anne White and they are the parents of six children as follows: John Thomas, 25 years of age; Richard West, 24 years; Myrel Grace, 22 years; Paul James, Jr., 17 years; May, 10 years and Lillian, 6 years. All the children are at home with the exception of Myrel Grace who is now Mrs. Phillip Dyer of this county. Mr. Pascoe has one of the best improved and most attractive country homes to be found in that township. The residence has 8 rooms in addition to the bath room, closets, pantries, etc., while the barn is 32 by 40 feet with a lean-to 16 by 40. The other outbuildings are well built and show that Mr. Pascoe is an enterprising farmer. The home place is surrounded by fine shade trees and a small orchard adds to the general appearance. Mr. Pascoe has been a member of the school board for a number of years and always takes a great interest in affairs that concern the welfare of the community in which he lives. The Pascoe family is one of those whose members have had so much to do with the development of the county and the subject of this sketch can recall the times when the buffaloes were disputing the territory that is now Barton County. He is familiar with the early day history which he had no small part in making. The home place was located by his father in 1873 and is located on the north side of Walnut creek.
THE History of Barton County cannot be written without giving due credit to the German-American who helped first in its settlement and sowed the seed of goad citizenship. The customs and laws of the mother country had bred in them habits of industry and economy and they began their lives here better fitted to battle with the trials incident to a new settlement than were their neighbors of American birth. The result has been an industrious, economical population, cultivating their fields with scrupulous care, and the erection of improvements of a permanent character. One race has learned from the other; both have been benefitted and neither is like the original stock. The German has progressed until the most enterprizing citizens of the county are of that clue; while the
American has become more conservative in his investments and manner of doing business. That is one reason why Barton County has been so blessed in the past, and is so firmly founded in frugal ways that it will always continue to be a prosperous county.
Jost Warnken was born on a farm near Bremen, Germany, March 4th, 1859, and emigrated to America in the fall of 1879. He first went to Pueblo, Colorado, where he was employed on a farm for one year; but not liking the country came to Barton County in the autumn of 1880. Here he hired himself out as a farm hand and worked for two seasons and then bought forty acres of school land, paying six dollars per acre. This he improved and in 1885 bought an interest in a threshing outfit, and for three years he and his partners, Hans Jurgensen and William Otte, toured the county threshing the wheat, oats and rye of their neighbors. His was one of the pioneer crews and is remembered by many. He was engaged in this business at different times for seven years, but finally abandoned it in 1893, and has contented himself with farming since. His home farm, one mile south of Heizer, contains three hundred and twenty acres and is well improved and in a high state of cultivation. The residence is a two story frame, containing eleven airy rooms. It is painted white and sits back from the road with a nice lawn in front. There are plenty of shade trees, shrubs and plants in the yard, a nice orchard and a growing garden. The barn is 32x64 and will house the stock and store the grain of the farm. Besides this he has twelve acres adjoining Heizer, and two dwellings in the town which he rents.
Jost Warnken and Miss Anna Reinecke, of Walnut Creek, were married Jan. 16, 1886, and they are the parents of seven children: Herman, who married Miss Clara Hemming; Malinda, who married Charles Lang; William, 19; Sylvia, 16; Delia, 13; Lillie, 8, and Virgil, 1.
Home of August Meyer
ONE of the most successful farmers in Barton County, residing south of the river, is the subject of this sketch, August Meyer. He was born in Germany, January 8, 1847 and came to America when he was twenty years of age. He with his brother, Henry Meyer, first located in Chicago where he remained for about a year. He then came to Salina, Kansas, where he spent about six months, then going to Ellsworth, where he remained about the same length of time. He came to Barton County in 1869. He took up a homestead in Buffalo township at a time betore the Indians and buffaloes had left this part of the country. He is the oldest settler now residing south of the river and has one of the nicest home places to be found in the county. The home place contains 160 acres in section 12, South Bend township, and he also owns a quarter in section 13, eighty in section 19 and owns a half section in Gray County and the same amount of land in Meade County. He farms a half section and rents the remainder of his land in this county. He has a fine, modern home which contains nine rooms, a bath, closets and pantries. It is thoroughly modern in every way. Mr. Meyer has been married three times and is the father of six
|OF BARTON COUNTY, KANSAS||185|
children: Frank, 30 years of age; August, 23; Emma, 21; Charlie, 19, and Edward, 17, and William 15 years of age. The home place has a fine barn 30 by 36 feet well built and modern and a fine elevator with a capacity of 7,000 bushels of grain. Mr. Meyer is one of the most successful of the farmers of Barton County and has earned all that he has by intelligent farming methods applied with knowledge gained by experience. He is one of the really old timers of this county and can tell many interesting incidents of the early days in which he took a large part.
Home of John Phillip Gallon
OF the old timers here who came when they were children and saw this county grow from a barren waste to its present high state of cultivation none is better known than the subject of this sketch, John Phjllip Gallon, who now lives in a modern residence at the corner of Tenth and Heizer in Great Bend. Mr. Gallon was born March 20, 1866, in New York City and came to Barton County with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Gallon, in 1872. The family located in Walnut township where the elder Gallon took up a homestead two and a half miles east of Albert. Then began the work of building a home and they, like many others had to contend with the hardships which beset the pioneers on every hand. Mr. Gallon remained on the farm until he was sixteen years of age. During this time he attended school and was taught by Charles Dodge, another of the old timers of this county. This school was located on the Roudebush farm. Mr. Gallon farmed continuously until 1910 when he retired and moved to Great Bend. He was married Thanksgiving Day, 1896, to Miss Ella Worden and they are the parents of seven children, six of whom are living: Linsurd E., 11 years; Elmer P., 13 years; John W., 12 years; (Chas. L., deceased, was a twin with John W. and died when he was four months of age); Ruth C., 9 years; and Margaret L., 1 year old. Mr. Gallon still owns his old home place which was formerly the Cyrus Frey farm near Albert, in fact it adjoins the townsite on the south. This farm is now being worked by Mr. Worden, a brother-in-law of Mr. Gallon. He also owns nine acres of land in the town of Albert and in addition to his residence owns three houses and and seven lots near his home in Great Bend. Mr. Gallon has been road overseer and assessor for his district and was deputy sheriff at Albert during the administration of Lute Aber. He also has held township offices and has been a member of the school board. He was appointed justice of the peace by Governor Hoch and at all times has been an enterprising and progressive citizen and one who has had a great deal to do with the upbuildiug of the county.
Home of Albert F. Batchman
ALBERT FRED BATCHMAN was born in Erie County, Ohio, March 27, 1859, and came to Barton County in 1878. He first located at Ellinwood where he remained for ten years, with the exception of about eight months, while he was in Colorado and New Mexico. He then began the farming business in Stafford County and was there eight years before he returned to this county and bought 280 acres of land in section 6 of Comanche township. Mr. Batchman farms all of this land and owns 160 acres in Stafford county which he rents, and 160 in South Bend township which he also rents by the year. Mr. Batchman was married in 1890 to Miss Carrie Nesling of Ellinwood, Kansas. They are the parents of three children: Pearl, 19 years of years; Hildred, 12 years of age; and Albert, 9 years old. All of them are students in the schools of the county. Mr. Batchman's home place is one of the most desirably located and most highly improved to be found in his township. The residence consists of seven rooms in addition to the closets, pantries, etc. The barn is 30 by 38 feet in dimensions with a large loft and is well built and conveniently arranged. The orchard which is found near the home is well kept and contains a wide variety of fruits common to this section of the country. The home is situated in neat, pleasing surroundings, there being ample shade trees as well as trees and shrubbery for ornamental purposes. Mr. Batchman has had a great deal to do with the development of the land lying south of the river and is an enterprising and progressive citizen. He uses modern farming methods and his success is due to this fact and the fact that he has gained the knowledge necessary to successful farming by going through the bad and good years that have elapsed since he took up his home here.
THE old Glenn homestead, one and one-half miles northwest of Great Bend, is one of the best quarter sections in the county. It is now owned and farmed by Frank G. McKinney, who has gone into the growing of alfalfa hay almost exclusively, and appears well satisfied with his venture. Of course he still raises sufficient corn and wheat for his own consumption, but his meadows, horses and cattle appear to be his chief concern. He owns some thirty head of horses and one hundred cattle, and has the foundation laid for a breeding farm.
Frank is the son of Andrew McKinney and Marie Gillmore, the sister, of Myron Gillmore, for two terms sheriff of Barton County. The parents came to this county in 1871, when the subject of this sketch was seven years of age. They resided for one year on Walnut creek, and then removed to a homestead six miles east of Great Bend. As the country was thinly settled at that period, and the prairies covered
|OF BARTON COUNTY, KANSAS||187|
with cattle, horses, antelope, buffolo, coyotes, and other wild animals, and as the home was not far from the Cheyenne Bottoms, the elder McKinney developed a fondness for hunting and soon became a companion of G. N. Moses, M. B. Fitts, J. B. Howard, Paul Schneck and others, who followed the buffalo as far west as Dodge City. In 1873 or 1874 he killed five buffalo in one day in the Bottoms and there are other feats of a similar kind which are still talked of among the early pioneers.
It was while living at his second Kansas home that Master Frank first came face to face with death and crime. Near his father's home two Frenchmen were engaged sinking a well. One morning early the little fellow returned to the scene of the well digging, and noticing the absence of the men employed, he looked for them in their shack close by and was horrified to find one cold in death on the floor, while the other had been murdered on his bed. A party by the name of Hefty was later arrested for the crime, prosecuted by County Attorney Nimocks, and was acquitted and left the county after several years.
Frank G. McKinney was born in Livingston County, Illinois, October 27, 1864, and at this time is 47 years of age. He was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Margaret Maur, in October, 1894. They have been blessed with five children; the eldest being 15 and the youngest 3 years old.
Besides the home place described above Mr. McKinney owns 640 acres on Walnut creek near Ness City. There is 240 acres of this tract under cultivation, and the houses, barn and fencing are all in good condition. This we think a good showing and proves the productiveness of Barton County, and the opportunities it offers when combined with pluck and a willingness to work.
"Sunny Side" Homestead
THE life history of William W. and Lucy Hull Hartshorn, if written in full, would make interesting reading, because both have passed through more adventure than most persons content to end their days as peaceful farmers. They cultivate the quarter section as a homestead, four miles west of Great Bend, and reside in a two story frame nestling among the trees. They also own a tract of two hundred and eighty acres near Ford City, Kansas, and the revenue derived from these two tracts allow them to take life comfortably. William W. Hartshorn and Lucy R. Hull of Adams County, Illinois, were married August 3, 1871 and they came overland to Kansas, arriving on the townsite of Great Bend on October 16, 1871, and were among the second party of immigrants to settle here. They brought with them a wagon and team, bedding, dishes and cooking utensils, a cow and a coop of chickens, and were the first to possess these luxuries in the colony. Mrs. Hartshorn also enjoys the distnction of having set the first table in Great Bend; the table having been constructed by her own hands. Previously meals had been eaten "any old way," and when she owned a table, a cow and a flock of chickens, was considered rich beyond price. They soon adapted themselves to their surroundings and Mr. Hartshorn became a huntsman, and his wife became accustomed to a life on the plains, and
if the life was rugged and full of dangers it also had its pleasures as well. We have attempted a description of the early colony days in another part of this volume and w1ll not repeat here, simply saying that this couple experienced the worst of these trials, and contributed their mite to alleviate them. William W. Hartshorn was born July 25th, 1847, on a farm in Adams County, Illinois. He was educated and grew to manhood there, and in 1864 enlisted as a private in Company C, 60th Illinois Volunteers and served one and a half years. He accompanied Sherman on his March to the Sea, and through South and North Carolina. He was first under fire at Resacca and at the Battle of Altoona Pass, Georgia, and is one of the heroes of that engagement, having helped to hold the Pass under a heavy and destructive fire. Out of a company of thirty-nine men there were five killed and eighteen wounded; and Mr. Hartshorn was slightly wounded in the foot. He was also at the battle of Columbia, Resacca, Bentonville and Savannah; the last being a seige of one week. At the close of the war he returned to his home in Adams County, Illinois, and resumed farming until his marriage and coming to this county. Mrs. Lucy R. Hartshorn was born on May 10th, 1849, in Hampshire County, West Virginia, and this union has been blessed with eight children.
THE subject of this sketch, Henry Schaeffer, is the father of the first white child born in the city of Great Bend. Mr. Schaeffer is a native of Germany, having been born in that country in 1855. He came to Barton County in 1871. He is a carpenter by trade and helped ta build the Barton County court house and had charge of the work on the Southern Hotel, the first building to be erected in Great Bend. His daughter, Emma, who is now Mrs. Will Armstrong and lives with her husband in Stafford County, was born April 20, 1872 and enjoys the distinction of having been the first white child born in the city of Great Bend. Mr. and Mrs. Schaeffer now resides across the Barton County line in Stafford County. They are the parents of four other children: August, 53 years of age; Charles, 37 years of age, and Mattie, 43 years of age, who is now Mrs. G. W. Tucker and resides in this county seven miles south of Great Bend; Marie, 32 years of age, is now Mrs. Lot Ewait residing in Arkansas. Mr. Schaeffer took up a claim upon his arrival in this county and the land that comprised his claim is now taken up by the cemetery west of Great Bend. Mr. Schaeffer had an active part in the building of Great Bend and was associated with all the old timers who have helped to make Barton County famous and productive. We show here a likeness of Mr. Schaeffer.
Who Built the Frst Building and was the Father of the First
White Child Born in Great Bend.
FERDNAND C. MANETH was born in Austria March 7, 1872, and came to Barton County with his parents when he was six years of age. This was in 1878 and his father took up land in Walnut township and he was one of the men who had so much to do with the development of that part of Barton County. His father's name was Ferdnand Vincent Maneth and up until the time of his death in 1906 was one of the best known men in this part of the state. The younger Maneth now farms his home place consisting of 320 acres of good land. Mr. Maneth was married to Miss Anna Cook October 25, 1893, and they are the parents of six children as follows: Fred, 12 years; Anna, 10 years; Henry 9 years; William, 6 years; Mary 3 years and Louise, 6 months of age. The residence consists of eight rooms in addition to bath, closets, etc., and is surrounded by shade trees and an orchard covering about an acre of ground and containing trees of several varieties of fruits com-
|OF BARTON COUNTY, KANSAS||189|
mon to this section of the country. The barn is 32 by 76 feet in dimensions and is arranged for taking care of a large number of animals. The Maneth family is one of the best known in Barton County on account of the fact that they came here at a time when the county was being developed and just emerged from the frontier stage. This family passed tbrugh the hard times of the 80's and had much to do with the work of making this county one of the best in the State of Kansas and one of the leading agricultural sections of the world. Mr. Maneth's mother lives with him and his brother on the home place which is one of the most attractive farms in the county. Mr. Maneth always maintains a good grade of cattle and horses and gives personal attention to all his farming work. He has learned the farming business by experience and is one of the successful young farmers of that part of the county.
Residence of Charles B. Howell
CHARLES B. HOWELL was born at Winterset, Madison County, Iowa, November 10, 1867, and came to Barton County in 1818. He was married September 7, 1893, to Miss Mary Ellen Langford of this county. They have four children as follows: Jennie Evelyn, 17 years of age; Ada Gertrude, 15 years of age; Edna Gladys, 14 years of age and Virgil Vernon, 8 years of age. The children are being educated in the schools of the county. The family resides in Great Bend in a modern residence at 2912 Broadway with the exception of three months of each year which they spend on the country home place. It is located fourteen miles northwest of Great Bend and comprises the east half of section 36 in Walnut township. In addition to this land Mr. Howell owns a quarter section in Clarence township which he farms in addition to the home place. He also owns a quarter of land in Ford County. The Howell country home is one of the most attractive to be found in that part of the county. It is beautifully situated in a bend in Walnut creek and is surrounded by large, well kept shade trees which are found on three sides of the buildings. The residence contains nine rooms in addition to bath, closets, pantries, etc. The barn is 30 feet square and among the other buildings are found an automobile garage, granary and all the other necessary buildings usually found on a modern Barton County farm. Mr. Howell is one of the best known men in the county and has had a great deal to do with the development of the county's resources. In addition to his own interests Mr. Howell has found time to take an active part in affairs that concern the welfare of the county and has served on the school board and is one of those men who came here in the early days when the county was in need of development and went through the hardships that were sustained by those men to the end that Barton County could be made one of the best counties in the State of Kansas.
Home of Otis Evers
OF the many younger farmers in Barton County none is better known than Otis Evers. He was born in Indiana April 7, 1879, and came to Barton County with his parents when he was five years of age. His father, Boyd Evers, is one of the old timers of the county who is still actively engaged in farming, and is mentioned in another part of this book. Mr. Evers was married November 13, 1893, to Miss Maud Barger of Stafford County and they are the parents of five children: Leslie, 8 years of age; Claire, 6 years of age; Elmer, 4 years of age; Hazel, 2 years of age, and Harley who is 4 months old. Mr. Evers farms 320 acres of land, 160 of which belongs to his brother. He has been farming for himself for several years and his home place is the northwest quarter of section one, Buffalo township. The residence contains nine rooms in addition to the bath, closets, etc and is situated in a beautiful spot surrounded by trees and other foliage. The barns of
Threshing Outfit at Work in the 90's
Previous Section | Transcriber's Index: A-B, C-F, G-K, L-N, O-S, T-Z | Next Section
Transcribed from Biographical history of Barton County, Kansas. ; Illustrated. Published by Great Bend Tribune, Great Bend, KS : 1912. 318 p. : ill. ; 28 cm. Transcribed by Carolyn Ward, July 2006.
| Tom & Carolyn Ward
Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project