Pages 653-655, transcribed by Carolyn Ward from History of Allen and Woodson Counties, Kansas: embellished with portraits of well known people of these counties, with biographies of our representative citizens, cuts of public buildings and a map of each county / Edited and Compiled by L. Wallace Duncan and Chas. F. Scott. Iola Registers, Printers and Binders, Iola, Kan.: 1901; 894 p., [36] leaves of plates: ill., ports.; includes index.


  WOODSON COUNTIES, KANSAS. 653 cont'd

E. W. NAYLOR.

A farm of eight hundred acres, well improved and stocked with a high grade of horses and catle,[sic] is an unmistakable evidence of a busy and active life. This property is in possession of E. W. Naylor, who came to Woodson county empty handed but with a resolute spirit that has enabled him to surmount difficulties, conquer obstacles and press steadily forward to the goal of prosperity. He resides in North township and his extensive agricultural and stock-raising interests have made him one of the leading farmers of the community.

Mr. Naylor is numbered among the native sons of the Keystone state, his birth having occurred in Cumberland county, Pennsylvania, on the 12th

654 HISTORY OF ALLEN AND  

of April, 1851. His parents were George and Barbara (Steviek) Naylor, also natives of Pennsylvania, whence they removed to Indiana in 1858, locating in Allen county, where the father followed farming. His wife died in that state in 1859, but the father retained his residence there until 1891, when he came to Woodson county, Kansas, his death here occurring in 1892, when he had reached the ripe old age of seventy-six years. This worthy couple were the parents of fourteen children, eight of whom are yet living: Mrs. Sarah Tibben, Mrs. Anna Butler; George Z.; E. W.; Mrs. Lydia Hutchings; Mrs. Minerva Stewart; Mrs. Alice Muller and David.

E. W. Naylor of this review was the fifth in order of birth. He acquired a good education, completing his course in a high school of his native county, and when a young man he engaged in teaching school in Indiana for one year. In 1873 he came to Kansas, settling in Woodson county ten miles northwest of Yates Center. For four years following his arrival he was connected with the educational interests of this locality as a teacher. During that time he was married and after his marriage he rented a farm and turned his attention to agricultural pursuits. For three years he rented land and then with the capital which he had acquired through his own exertions he purchased eighty acres of land, which served as the nucleus around which he has gathered his present extensive possessions. He to-day has eight hundred acres constituting a valuable property, on which is an attractive residence, and one of the finest barns in the county, filled with as fine horses as can be found in the township. He handles yearly about one hundred head of cattle and an equal number of hogs and as he keeps only high grades of stock he is always sure of a ready and remunerative sale.

On the 1st of July, 1875, Mr. Naylor was united in marriage to Miss M. Christina Miller, a native of Indiana, and a daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth (Stines) Miller, also of the Hoosier state, whence they came to Kansas in 1860. They settled on Turkey creek in Woodson county, where they spent their remaining days, the father passing away at the age of seventy-nine years, while the mother died at the age of fifty-three. He was a native of Darke county, Ohio, and his wife was born in New Jersey. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Naylor have been born two children: Bessie May, a student in the Kansas University, and Wilber W., a student in the high school in Yates Center.

Mr. Naylor and his family are widely and favorably known in Woodson county. His record is indeed creditable and thus he has won the admiration and respect of his fellow townmen. Beginning life here as a teacher of a country school receiving but a small salary, he has through the practice of industry, economy and capable management long since left the ranks of those who are daily struggling for a livelihood and stands among the men of affluence in the community. In his work he has been ably assisted by his wife, a most estimable lady whose judicious care of the household and the management of its affairs have contributed in no

  WOODSON COUNTIES, KANSAS. 655

small degree to his prosperity. As a citizen his worth and loyalty have been manifest in several public offices. He has served as township trustee for two terms, and at the present writing in the spring of 1901 he is township treasurer and justice of the peace. Over the record of his public career and private life there falls no shadow of wrong or suspicion of evil and to-day he ranks among the leading, progressive and respected agriculturists of his adopted county.


Previous | Home | Next


Pages 653-655, transcribed by Carolyn Ward from History of Allen and Woodson Counties, Kansas: embellished with portraits of well known people of these counties, with biographies of our representative citizens, cuts of public buildings and a map of each county / Edited and Compiled by L. Wallace Duncan and Chas. F. Scott. Iola Registers, Printers and Binders, Iola, Kan.: 1901; 894 p., [36] leaves of plates: ill., ports.; includes index.


Tom & Carolyn Ward
Columbus, KS

Email Us


Background and KSGenWeb logo were designed and are copyrighted by
Tom & Carolyn Ward
for the limited use of the KSGenWeb Project.
Permission is granted for use only on an official KSGenWeb page.

© 2005 by Tom & Carolyn Ward


Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project