Pages 626-627, transcribed by Carolyn Ward from History of Allen and Woodson Counties, Kansas: embellished with portraits of well known people of these counties, with biographies of our representative citizens, cuts of public buildings and a map of each county / Edited and Compiled by L. Wallace Duncan and Chas. F. Scott. Iola Registers, Printers and Binders, Iola, Kan.: 1901; 894 p., [36] leaves of plates: ill., ports.; includes index.


Daniel W. Maxson

626 HISTORY OF ALLEN AND  

DANIEL W. MAXSON.

DANIEL W. MAXSON is the leading physician in his section a Woodson county. No other medical practitioner of the county has so long resided within its borders and none more highly deserves success and prominence than Dr. Maxson. He was born in Alleghany county, New York, in January, 1836, and is a son of John Maxson, a farmer by occupation, who was born in Massachusetts and married Miss Ann Ruth Langworthy, a native of Rhode Island. They died in the Empire state, leaving two children, but the doctor is now the only surviving representative of the family.

The subject of this review spent the days of his boyhood and youth upon the home farm and acquired his education in the common schools. He afterward took up the study of medicine, which he pursued at intervals, in the meantime providing for his support by teaming and by other such work as he could get to do. In his early manhood he left for the west, going first to Wisconsin, whence he afterward went to Missouri, and later came to Kansas, arriving in the year 1856. He first located at Fort Scott, which at that time was only a military garrison, and subsequently he went to Mapleton, Bourbon county, where he was living when the Civil war broke out. He enlisted in response to the call for men to serve for ninety days, and later enlisted for three years as a memebr[sic] of the Ninth Kansas cavalry, serving in the Western Department. The first two years of that time were passed as a steward in the general hospital at Fort Smith. He was with his regiment on White river, Arkansas, when the war ended and was discharged at Fort Leavenworth in the year 1865.

The war ended, Dr. Maxson returned to Mapleton, Kansas. In the meantime he had resumed the study of medicine and had prepared for its practice. He had read to some extent under the direction of Dr. Norman D. Winans at Iola, Kansas, and for two years was associated with him in practice. He then took up his abode on the Verdigris river, where he has since remained, his home being now in Toronto. His practice comes

  WOODSON COUNTIES, KANSAS. 627

not only from this town but also from Coyville and Buffalo and is quite extensive. He is the oldest physician in years of continuous practice in Woodson county, and as time has pased[sic] he has easily maintained his rank among the foremost physicians of this section of the state. He has kept abreast with the progress made by the medical fraternity, is a discriminating student, most careful in diagnosing disease and correct in prescribing the medicines which will best supplement nature in her efforts to restore a healthful and normal condition. Although he attended two courses of medical lectures, the last one in the Ohio Medical College, at Cincinnati, he did not consider his studies ended and constant reading has kept him in touch with the onward march of progress made in the medical science.

Dr. Maxson was married in Mapleton, in 1860, to Miss Louise E. Myrick, whose father came to Kansas from Tennessee. Mrs. Maxson died March 27, 1901. Unto them have been born the following children: W. E., who is superintendent of the terminals of the railroad and steamship lines at Galveston, Texas; Frank; Henrietta, wife of Charles Chambers, of Purcell, Indian Territory; Ralph, of Toronto, and Lillie A., of Toronto.

From the date of the organization of the Republican party Dr. Maxson has been in hearty sympathy with its principles and gives his support to its men and measures. He keeps well informed on the issues of the day and does all in his power to promote the growth and insure the success of the party. He is chairman of the Pension Examining Board of Woodson county, and is a loyal and patriotic citizen, who believes in upholding the starry banner of the nation wherever the courage and loyalty of the American soldier has planted it. The doctor has a very wide acquaintance throughout Woodson county where he has so long made his home and his many sterling traits of character as well, as his splendid work in the line of his profession have gained for him the confidence, good will and high regards of all with whom he has been brought in contact.


Previous | Home | Next


Pages 626-627, transcribed by Carolyn Ward from History of Allen and Woodson Counties, Kansas: embellished with portraits of well known people of these counties, with biographies of our representative citizens, cuts of public buildings and a map of each county / Edited and Compiled by L. Wallace Duncan and Chas. F. Scott. Iola Registers, Printers and Binders, Iola, Kan.: 1901; 894 p., [36] leaves of plates: ill., ports.; includes index.


Tom & Carolyn Ward
Columbus, KS

Email Us


Background and KSGenWeb logo were designed and are copyrighted by
Tom & Carolyn Ward
for the limited use of the KSGenWeb Project.
Permission is granted for use only on an official KSGenWeb page.

© 2005 by Tom & Carolyn Ward


Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project