Transcribed from A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans, written and compiled by William E. Connelley, Secretary of the Kansas State Historical Society, Topeka. [Revised ed.] Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1919, c1918. 5 v. (xlviii, 2530 p., [155] leaves of plates): ill., maps (some fold.), ports.; 27 cm.


Charles F. Strickert

CHARLES F. STRICKERT. In a section of Kansas which fifteen or twenty years ago had a forlorn and hopeless aspect of a decaying country can now be found towns, farms and improvements which betoken the most progressive citizenship of the state. These places are especially in evidence in Scott County. Perhaps no one family has furnished enterprise in greater abundance in this community during the past thirty years than the Strickerts. Of the younger generation of the family, Charles F. Strickert is a ranchman and farmer in Keystone Township, and unquestionably he owns and directs one of the finest farms of that section.

The family was founded in this part of Western Kansas by his father, Karl W. Strickert. Karl W. Strickert was born in Prussia, Germany, in May, 1833. His father was John Strickert. Besides Karl the other children were: A daughter who married and died in Chicago; John, who died in Canada, leaving a family; William, who took his family to Chicago from Canada and died there; Fred W., who died in Scott County, Kansas; and Christ, who died in Canada.

Karl W. Strickert came to the United States when a young man of twenty-one years with his father and brothers and sisters. They all located in Ontario, Canada, but his father subsequently came to Kansas, and is buried in Scott County. Karl W. Strickert had a moderate amount of schooling, and partially educated himself. He achieved his success as a farmer. He was married in Ontario to Gustina Scherbert, who died in Scott County. Their children were: Augusta, who married Fred Mahler, and she died in Scott County; Charles F.; Fred W., a boiler maker with the Denver & Rio Grande Railway and owner of the American Silk and Novelty Company of Denver, Colorado.

Karl W. Strickert brought his family to Kansas in 1888, locating in Scott County. Unlike most settlers, he had the money with which to set up in business from the start. He bought school land and located in section 36, township 18, range 32, and developed his land from the buffalo grass. He had only a single quarter of land to start with, and he used his capital to pay for the quarter section and also to stock it. He made cattle raising a prominent feature of his business from the beginning. He also raised horses and hogs, and derived as much profit from live stock as he did from his crops. Before leaving the farm he had accumulated ten quarter sections of land in a single body and later he bought a section in Wichita County, upon which he also put some improvements. On coming to Scott County thirty-one years ago the first building he erected was a frame granary, in which the family lived for a time. Other houses came as time and money made them possible, and he moved several buildings to his farm from Scott City. Scott City after the first boom period had experienced an era of decay which has been characteristic of so many Western Kansas towns, and many of the buildings erected there were untenanted and could be bought cheap. A number of farmers supplied themselves with their homes by moving buildings or their timbers out from Scott City. Karl Strickert had a successful experience in raising wheat. He continued an active factor in the farm enterprise of this community until he was seventy-five years of age, when he retired. In politics he confined his activities merely to voting and chiefly as a democrat. He was a devout Lutheran. He died February 3, 1917.

Charles F. Strickert was born in the province of Ontario, Canada, at Mitchell, on February 22, 1873. He spent his early boyhood on the farm of his father, and secured his education in Canadian schools. He was fifteen years of age when he came to Kansas, and he is now living on the old homestead of his father. He had his part in the pioneer experiences as a worker at home, and in 1898 he homesteaded in section 1, township 19, range 32, his claim being the northwest quarter. He also brought out a frame house from Scott City, and that served the purposes of a home while he was proving up. By 1903 he had ninety acres under cultivation, the entire farm fenced, a good well, and that quarter section is still part of his possessions. In 1905 Mr. Strickert moved to and took possession of the old homestead. Here his efforts have taken on an expanding degree of enterprise, and he has become especially well known for his success as a stock raiser. He has kept registered males for the development of his Shorthorn cattle, has some high class Percheron horses, and the principal strain in his hogs is Chester White. He has shipped much of his stock direct to the markets, and has also bought cattle and horses from his neighbors for shipping.

His home ranch comprises five and a half quarter sections. In 1915 he introduced some improvements which stand out conspicuously. One of these is a modern nine room bungalow, heated with furnace, lighted with acetylene gas, with hot and cold running water and bath. It is the equal of many of the best city homes. The same year he put up another barn on the farm, costing over fifteen hundred dollars, and these and other improvements give the farm special distinction and value in that community. Mr. Strickert cultivates about three hundred acres, and he also owns a pasture of a half section in section 23, township 20, range 35. With one exception he has confined his efforts strictly within the line of farming and stock raising. And it may be assumed that is one of the important reasons for his steadily growing success. He did help promote the L. & M. Mercantile Company of Scott City, but has since retired from the organization. He is a member of the school board of district No. 14. He has always voted rather independently in national affairs.

At Chillicothe, Missouri, September 24, 1905, he married Miss Cora Brooks, daughter of Martin L. and Elizabeth (Keller) Brooks. The Brooks family came out of Ohio from Lorain County, while the Kellers were Pennsylvanians. Martin Brooks and wife had the following children: Frank, Abbie, wife of Charles Strang, of Chillicothe, Missouri; Mrs. Strickert, who was born October 13, 1879; Robert; and Herbert, deceased. Six children are the fruit of the union of Mr. and Mrs. Strickert. Their names are: Verda A.; Irma, who died when seven years of age; Karl; Walter B.; Frank H.; and Roy Martin.


Transcribed from A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans, written and compiled by William E. Connelley, Secretary of the Kansas State Historical Society, Topeka. [Revised ed.] Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1919, c1918. 5 v. (xlviii, 2530 p., [155] leaves of plates): ill., maps (some fold.), ports.; 27 cm.

Volume 4 - Table of Contents

Tom & Carolyn Ward
Columbus, KS

tcward@columbus-ks.com


Background and KSGenWeb logo were designed and are copyrighted by
Tom & Carolyn Ward
for the limited use of the KSGenWeb Project.
Permission is granted for use only on an official KSGenWeb page.

© 2000 by Tom & Carolyn Ward


Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project