T. V. LOWE. The name of Lowe has been familiar to the people of Sherman County for the past thirteen years, identified successfully with the real estate business of the county. Mr. Lowe has been the medium for the transaction of many large deals in farms and other properties in Northwestern Kansas, and is acquainted with every phase of the real estate business, having followed it from early manhood.
He was born in Fremont County, Iowa, August 4, 1874. He is of English ancestry, his pioneer ancestor coming in colonial times from England to Pennsylvania. His father, J. P. Lowe, was born in Pennsylvania in 1842 and in the following year was taken by his parents to Ohio, where he grew up and married in Tuscarawas County. He was a merchant there, and about 1871 moved to Fremont County, Iowa. For ten years he was a merchant at Sidney, Iowa, later was in the livestock business and a farmer in Gage County, Nebraska, and in 1908 retired and has since lived in Thayer County, Nebraska. He is a democrat and a member of the Presbyterian Church.
J. P. Lowe married Isabelle Lewis. She was born in Thorntown, Indiana, in 1843 and died in Thayer County, Nebraska, in the spring of 1918. She was the mother of seven children: Blanche, wife of E. M. Shields, a farmer in Montgomery County, Kansas; T. V. Lowe, second in age of the family; Harry, a banker and engaged in the telephone business at Ramona, Oklahoma; Frank, in the agricultural tool and implement business at Steel City, Nebraska; Grace, wife of J. F. Clark, a railroad man living in Arizona; Ralph, a merchant in Thayer County, Nebraska; and May, who died at Yuma, Colorado, at the age of twenty-eight, the wife of John Adcock, who is a merchant there and is also county clerk.
T. V. Lowe received his early education in the public schools of Iowa and in Gage County, Nebraska. He also attended an academy at Washington, Kansas. His schooling was finished by the time he was eighteen years of age, and after that, for two years, he farmed in Gage County, Nebraska, then was in a store at Lisbon, North Dakota, two years, and continued a resident of that town for four years longer, with employment in the land department of an attorney's office. That gave him a technical as well as a practical acquaintance with the land business. For six years he was a real estate dealer in Cando, North Dakota.
Mr. Lowe came to Goodland, Kansas, in 1905, and his individual services have been more and more appreciated in local real estate circles as significant of the best and most reliable service for the handling and transfer of properties in Sherman and adjoining counties. His offices are in the Hunt-Ennis Building.
Mr. Lowe is a republican in politics. He is affiliated with Lisbon Lodge of Masons, Lisbon Chapter No. 7, Royal Arch Masons, and Ivanhoe Commandery No. 8 of the Knights Templar, all at Lisbon, North Dakota. While a doctor seldom takes his own medicine, Mr. Lowe as a real estate man is not averse to owning as much real estate as he can afford. His holdings include 160 acres in Smith County, Kansas, 80 acres in Jefferson County, Nebraska, and approximately 1,920 acres in Sherman County, Kansas. He also owns his home on West Tenth Street in Goodland.
In 1905, at Fargo, North Dakota, Mr. Lowe married Miss Dorothy Sitzer, daughter of A. and Anna E. Sitzer, the latter still living at Minto, North Dakota. Her father was one of the pioneer farmers in North Dakota.
Transcribed from A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans, written and compiled by William E. Connelley, Secretary of the Kansas State Historical Society, Topeka. [Revised ed.] Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1919, c1918. 5 v. (xlviii, 2530 p.,  leaves of plates): ill., maps (some fold.), ports.; 27 cm.
Tom & Carolyn Ward
Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project