WILLIAM A. HILL was born in Marysville, Iowa, July 16, 1874. When he was four years of age his parents migrated to Western Kansas. At the age of eight years he started to learn the rudiments of the printer's trade in his father's office at Stockton.
After completing the common schools at Stockton he entered the Stockton Academy, where he attended three years. During the summer of 1889, when fifteen years of age he edited the Register at Havensville, Kansas, also continuing the summer following.
In 1891, 1892 and 1893, he attended Drake University, Des Moines, Iowa, making his way working on the Farmers Tribune and in the Iowa State Printing Offices. He assisted his father for a time in the publication of the Kansas Lever at Ottawa. Returning to Stockton, he taught school one year, then purchased a half interest in the Rooks County Journal at Plainville, Kansas, in 1898 started the Gazette at Plainville, and shortly afterward moved to Hill City, engaging in the newspaper business there for seven years. Returning to Plainville in 1906, he purchased the Plainville Times, in 1913 purchased the Gazette and consolidated it with the Times, giving him command of the entire newspaper field at Plainville.
He is an active member of the Kansas Editorial Association, seldom missing a meeting, has served as vice-president of the association for the Sixth District, takes an active interest in civic affairs, served several terms as city councilman and as secretary of the Plainville Commercial Club, for several years has been superintendent of the Christian Bible School, one of the largest Sunday schools in that section of the state, is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America and Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and during the war devoted his paper to the government to help win the war, served as local chairman of Four Minute Men, and as a member of State Guards.
On June 1, 1897, Mr. Hill was married to H. T. Catherine Yeagy, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. R. T. Yeagy, of Plainville. They have one daughter, Marcelene, born May 15, 1908. Mrs. Hill was born in Smith County, Kansas, May 22, 1880, was educated in the Plainville schools, and is an active co-operator in all her husband's undertakings. They own a neat modern home in Plainville. The Times office has the reputation of being one of the neatest and best equipped country newspaper offices in the state.
Dr. B. Hill, father of W. A. Hill, was one of the pioneers of Rooks County, and one who had much to do in shaping its early affairs. He was born in Warrenton, Missouri, March 28, 1842. His grandfather, Charles Hill, was a prominent character in the early history of Missouri and a companion of Daniel Boone in his wanderings from Kentucky westward. Doctor Hill attended Oskaloosa, Iowa, University, later graduated from Keokuk, Iowa, Medical College, and practised medicine for twenty years at Marysville, Iowa. His health failing he homesteaded in Rooks County, Kansas, in the fall of 1878, and the next spring he moved his family out. Two years later he was elected register of deeds and moved to Stockton, served two terms, purchased the Western News which he ran four years, and then sold it and re-entered medical practise at Stockton. In 1893 he moved from Stockton, Kansas, to Huntsville, Washington, where he died December 6, 1910. Doctor Hill was an active member of the Christian Church. He founded the Christian Church at Stockton and served as an elder and superintendent of the Bible school most of the time during his long residence there. He also served for twelve or fourteen years as president of the Rooks County Union Sunday School Association.
Doctor Hill was married June 23, 1868, to Sarah J. Cross. To this union there were born six children: Charles A. Hill, of Walla Walla, Washington; Mrs. Olive Murtey, of Weeping Water, Nebraska; William A. Hill, of Plainville, Kansas; Mrs. Mollie F. Styles, of Salem, Oregon; Ben F. Hill, of Walla Walla, Washington; Dr. Elmer Hill, of Walla Walla, Washington.
R. T. Yeagy Mrs. Hill's father, was born near Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, July 7, 1857. He was married to Nannie Purfeerst, at Covington, Indiana, January 16, 1879. Three children were born to this union. Mrs. R. T. Catherine Hill, Isaac L. Yeagy and Mrs. Anna E. Giggey, all of Plainville. In 1880 they moved to Portis, Kansas, and in 1887 to Plainville. Mr. Yeagy served as foreman at the C. G. Cochran hardware and implement establishment for twelve years, then entered business for himself, and later sold this and went into the carpenter and contracting business. He is a leading elder of the Christian Church and takes a prominent part in Modern Woodmen of America affairs. He has been associated with a good part of the building affairs of the town.
Transcribed from A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans, written and compiled by William E. Connelley, Secretary of the Kansas State Historical Society, Topeka. [Revised ed.] Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1919, c1918. 5 v. (xlviii, 2530 p.,  leaves of plates): ill., maps (some fold.), ports.; 27 cm.
Tom & Carolyn Ward
Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project