Edward P. Pitts

EDWARD P. PITTS, M. D., is a well known specialist at Atchison, where he has practiced as an eye, ear, nose and throat physician and surgeon for fifteen years.

He is a native of Virginia and his ancestry for several generations lived in that part of the South. He was born in Northampton County, Virginia, October 13, 1880. This branch of the Pitts family came out of England and settled in Maryland in Colonial times. Doctor Pitts' grandfather, Edward P. Pitts, was born in Somerset County, Maryland, in 1821, and became a prominent lawyer. He lived at Norfolk, Virginia, where he died in 1881, and for about thirty years had been judge of the Circuit Court. Doctor Pitts' father, Edward D. Pitts, was also a prominent lawyer. He was born in Northampton County in 1849, was reared and married there, and graduated in law from the University of Virginia. For a time he practiced at Eastville in Northampton County, but subsequently took up practice at Norfolk, where he was active in his profession until his death in 1909. In early manhood he served as clerk of the court at Eastville. He was a democrat, a member of the Episcopal Church, and was affiliated with the Masonic order. Edward D. Pitts married Emory W. West, who was born in Northampton County, Virginia, in 1850 and is now living at Norfolk in that state. Her children were: Mary, wife of Frank K. Clements, a hotel proprietor at Petersburg, Virginia; Charles D., in the plumbing business at Norfolk; Doctor Pitts; Mrs. Mildred Rogers, whose husband has charge of the branch of the Morris Packing Company at Norfolk; Emory, who lives in Northampton County, Virginia, her husband being a farmer; and Mrs. Nellie Parker, Mr. Parker being connected with the Whichard Brothers Wholesale Dry Goods Company at Norfolk.

Doctor Pitts was educated in the public schools of Norfolk and in 1898 graduated from the Gatewood Episcopal Academy. He soon afterwards came West, and at St. Joseph, Missouri, matriculated in the Ensworth Medical College, where he completed the course and was given the degree M. D. in 1902. Doctor Pitts spent six months of 1903 as a post graduate in the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary, and was again a student at that institution in 1916. He began practice at Atchison in 1902, soon after graduating, and his work has been as a specialist in the treatment of the eye, ear, nose and throat. Doctor Pitts has his offices in the Simpson Building. He owns his home at 505 Kearney Street, and also has a farm of sixty acres near Effingham in Atchison County. Doctor Pitts is a member of the County and State Medical societies, the American Medical Association, is independent in politics, belongs to the Episcopal Church and is affiliated with the Masonic order and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. He was married in April, 1903, at DeKalb, Missouri, to Miss Beulah Judah, daughter of Samuel and Margaret (Pyles) Judah. Her father was a farmer, and her mother is still living at DeKalb. Doctor and Mrs. Pitts have one son, Spencer W., born February 3, 1907.


A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans, written and compiled by William E. Connelley, Secretary of the Kansas State Historical Society, Topeka. Chicago: Lewis Publishing Company, copyright 1918; transcribed 1997.
[TOC] [Biog. Index] [1918 Index] [KSGenWeb] [Archives]
Tom & Carolyn Ward
Columbus, KS

tcward@columbus-ks.com

Background and KSGenWeb logo were designed and are copyrighted by
Tom & Carolyn Ward
for the limited use of the KSGenWeb Project.
Permission is granted for use only on an official KSGenWeb page.

©1998 by Tom & Carolyn Ward


Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project