EDWARD HENRY LEITZBACH. The thirty odd years since he came to Humboldt have dealt kindly with Edward Henry Leitzbach. In that time he has attained one of the most substantial business positions in the community, has acquired a large share of material prosperity, and has used his means and ability wisely to promote those institutions and affairs which are most vitally connected with a city's welfare.
Though of German ancestry, as his name indicates, Mr. Leitzbach was born in Connecticut at Robertsville in the town of Colebrook on August 6, 1864. His father, Nicholas Leitzbach, was born on the River Rhine in Germany in 1827. He was educated in his native land, learned the trade of cabinet maker, and served his time in the German army, being a participant in the war between Denmark and Germany during the close of the forties. He came to the United States in 1857, locating at Robertsville, Connecticut, where he followed his trade for many years. In 1887 he followed his son to Humboldt, Kansas, and continued working at his trade about ten years. His death occurred in December, 1911. In American politics he was allied with the democratic party. Nicholas Leitzbach married Elizabeth Esslinger. She was born in Germany in 1840, a daughter of Daniel Esslinger. Daniel Esslinger was born in Germany in 1812, brought his family to America about 1853, and located at Winstead, Connecticut. He was both a farmer and mechanic. He died near Winstead, Connecticut, in 1852. Elizabeth Leitzbach died in Humboldt, Kansas, in 1891. They were the parents of three children: Anna, widow of Rev. M. C. Wood, and living in Humboldt, her husband having been a minister of the Congregational Church; Augustus, who graduated from the Bellevue Hospital Medical College at New York City in 1885, and since then has been actively engaged in practice as a physician and surgeon at Fairmount, Illinois; and Edward Henry.
Edward Henry Leitzbach grew up in his native town of Connecticut, attended the public schools at Robertsville and the high school at Winstead, and his early tastes inclined him to mercantile pursuits. He had three years' experience as a worker in a store in Connecticut, and in 1885 with limited capital and with this experience as a foundation came to Humboldt and bought a half interest in a furniture store. His partner for three years was J. N. Utterson. At the end of that time Mr. Leitzbach acquired the entire business, and has conducted it now as sole proprietor for upwards of twenty-eight years. It is the largest furniture stock in this part of the county, and it has been a center of a large patronage and of reliable merchandising for many years. The store is located on Bridge Street between Seventh and Eighth. Mr. Leitzbach owns the building as well as the stock, and from his participation in business affairs as a furniture merchant has gradually extended his interests to many other concerns. He has always favored Kansas land as an excellent investment, and at the present time owns altogether 1,890 acres. This includes a farm of 160 acres adjoining Humboldt on the east; 150 acres southeast of Humboldt; a half section of land, 320 acres, five miles northeast of Humboldt; an improved farm of eighty acres adjoining the last tract just mentioned; 160 acres four miles northeast of Humboldt; a 240-acre improved farm two miles north of Humboldt, with 160 acres adjoining; and 150 acres three miles east of Humboldt. Of his total holdings he has three farms of eighty acres each in Woodson County, Kansas. His interests also extend to Humboldt real estate. Besides his home at 1021 New York Street he owns the Theater Building on Bridge Street, a store building at the corner of Eighth and Bridge Street, the building in which the hardware store is located on Bridge Street, and also another store building along the same thoroughfare. He also has several dwelling houses. Mr. Leitzbach is president of the Humboldt Brick Manufacturing Company and a director of the Humboldt National Bank. The Humboldt Brick Manufacturing Company is one of the most successful concerns of its kind in this section of Kansas. It employs fifty people and its output of tile and brick is shipped not only over the various counties of Kansas, but to Iowa, Oklahoma, Missouri, Nebraska and Texas. The plant has the most modern and improved machinery, and has been going forward successfully ever since it was established in 1897. Mr. Leitzbach was one of the original stockholders.
In politics he is a republican. He served as mayor of Humboldt in 1912-13, and for two terms was a member of the city council. He is identified with the Humboldt Board of Trade, and is a very active and liberal member of the Presbyterian Church at Humboldt, being a trustee and elder. He is one of the liberal contributors to the erection of the handsome new church on Bridge Street, costing $20,000. Fraternally his membership is with Pacific Lodge No. 29, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, Wichita Consistory No. 2 of the Scottish Rite, Humboldt Lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and Humboldt Camp of the Modern Woodmen of America.
Mr. Leitzbach was married in Elsmore, Kansas in June, 1899, to Miss Ona Cox, daughter of W. D. and Gertrude Cox, the latter now deceased. Her father still lives in Elsmore and owns the elevator there. Mr. and Mrs. Leitzbach have one daughter Gertrude, born May 1, 1910.
A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans, written & complied by William E. Connelley, 1918, transcribed by Natalie Maples, student from USD 508, Baxter Springs Middle School, Baxter Springs, Kansas, 4-20-98.
CHARLES M. HILLEARY, who has identified himself since early youth with educational work and is now superintendent of the city schools of Humboldt, represents one of the early pioneer families of Bourbon County.
He was born at the Village of Xenia in Bourbon County, Kansas, May 28, 1879. His people located in that section of southeastern Kansas prior to the Civil war. The Hillearys came originally from England and were colonial settlers in Virginia. Professor Hilleary's grandfather Daniel Stump Hilleary was born in 1823. In early life he removed west, to Ohio, later into Illinois, and still later to Kansas. He served in the American armies in the war with Mexico and was captain of a company. His active career was spent as a farmer, and he died in Xenia, Kansas, in 1888. He married a Miss Pritchard, a native of Ohio, and she died near Newark in that state in 1848.
Lucius W. Hilleary, father of Charles Marion Hilleary, was born at Newark, Ohio, July 18, 1848. He spent part of his early life there, and went with his father to Vermillion County, Illinois, where he grew up on a farm. In 1866 he came with Daniel S. Hilleary to Kansas and located in Bourbon County at Xenia. He married there, and for many years was engaged in farming and merchandising. In April, 1885, he removed to Stafford County, Kansas was a farmer in that locality, but in 1898 again resumed merchandising at Macksville, in the same county. He is now living retired. Lucius W. Hilleary is a republican and a member of the Methodist Church. He married Catherine V. Thompson. She was born in Polk County, Missouri, March 18, 1853, and her ancestors were also from England and early settlers in Virginia. Her father Phenus Thompson was born in Tennessee in 1814, went to Kentucky and later to Missouri, and in 1861 settled in Bourbon County, Kansas. He followed farming in that district the rest of his life, but died while on a visit to Polk County, Missouri, in 1887. Several of his sons were soldiers in the Civil war. Phenus Thompson married Miss Crumbly, who was born in Tennessee and died at Xenia, Kansas. Lucius W. Hilleary and wife are the parents of four children: Montimer, a merchant at Hutchinson, Kansas; Gertrude, who died when two years of age; Charles Marion; and Eva, wife of Rev. W. B. Summers, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Mitchell, Kansas.
Charles M. Hilleary spent most of his early life on a farm in Stafford County. He attended the rural schools, and in 1896 graduated from the high school at Macksville. The following two years were spent as a teacher in the rural districts of Stafford County. He then entered the State Normal School at Emporia, but in the intervals of his course there he was principal of the high school at Macksville for two years. He finally completed his studies and graduated at Emporia in 1904 and in the same year took charge of the high school at Parker, Kansas, as principal. A year later he went to St. John, Kansas, and became superintendent of the city schools, and in 1910 accepted a similar office at Humboldt. Mr. Hilleary is a progressive school man, and has worked steadily for the upbuilding and improvement of the schools of Humboldt during the past six years. He has accomplished some very creditable results. He has under his supervision two school houses, a staff of twenty-four teachers, and the enrollment of pupils in the city schools is 726.
He is a member of the Southeast Kansas and the Kansas State Teachers Association, and the National Educational Association. He also belongs to St. John Lodge No. 254 Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons, to Valley Chapter No. 11, Royal Arch Masons, at Humboldt, and to Humboldt Camp of the Modern Woodmen of America. In politics he is a republican and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
On June 30, 1909, at Macksville, Kansas, Mr. Hilleary married Miss Bernice M. Carter. She is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John L. Carter, her father being a grain merchant at Dodge City, Kansas. Her mother is now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Hilleary are the parents of two children: Mina Imogene, born July 3, 1910, and Montimer Marion, born October 24, 1914.
A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans, written & compiled by William E. Connelley, Secretary of the Kansas State Historical Society, Topeka. Chicago: Lewis Publishing Company, copyright 1918; transcribed by Kaci Bottero, student from USD 508, Baxter Springs Middle School, Baxter Springs, Kansas, 4-20-98.
Tom & Carolyn Ward
Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project