Transcribed from A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans, written and compiled by William E. Connelley, Secretary of the Kansas State Historical Society, Topeka. Chicago: Lewis Publishing Company, copyright 1918
E. C. GLASS, D. D. S., has been a resident of Independence since 1903, and is one of the leading members of the dental profession in Southern Kansas.
Born January 28, 1876, the year of the hundredth anniversary of our national independence, he was given the name Earl Centennial Glass. His birth occurred near Bois d'Arc, Greene County, in Southern Missouri. His parents are Albert M. and Susan (Van Voorhis) Glass, both of whom are still living, with their home at Bois d'Arc, Missouri. The Glass family came originally from Scotland and settled in Virginia in colonial days, while the Van Voorhis family were Hollanders and originally settled in New York. Albert M. Glass was born in Stark County, Ohio, June 18, 1843, and is a veteran of the Civil war. He enlisted in 1862 at the age of nineteen in Company D of the 115th Ohio Infantry, and served until the close of the war. While in the Tennessee campaign he was taken prisoner, but was later exchanged and rejoined his command. In 1871 he moved his family to Missouri and has spent his active career there as a general farmer and stock raiser, and is now retired though occupying his farm. He is a republican, and is an elder in the Christian Church. His wife was born near Canton in Stark County, Ohio, November 14, 1844. Their children are: James I., a farmer at Bois d'Arc, Missouri; Dr. E. C. Glass; and Iva, who died February 11, 1914, her husband, Marvin J. Ross, being in the hardware business at Eureka, Kansas.
Doctor Glass while a boy attended the country schools of Bois d'Arc and also the Drury College at Springfield, Missouri. April 30, 1901, he completed his course and graduted[sic] D. D. S. from the Western Dental College of Kansas City, Missouri. After some experience in the profession elsewhere, he established his office at Independence in August, 1903, and has since enjoyed a large practice and is recognized as one of the most skillful men in his profession in this part of the state. His offices are in the Booth Building on West Myrtle Street. He is a member of the State and National District Dental societies.
Fraternally he is affiliated with Fortitude Lodge No. 107, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, at Independence, and belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church and is a republican. On March 18, 1908, at Sycamore, Kansas, he married Miss Edwina Chandler. Her parents were Edwin and Agnes Chandler. Her mother died in November, 1915, and her father is living retired at Sycamore, Kansas.
Transcribed from volume 4, page 1991 of A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans, written and compiled by William E. Connelley, Secretary of the Kansas State Historical Society, Topeka. Chicago: Lewis Publishing Company, copyright 1918; originally transcribed 1998, modified 2003 by Carolyn Ward.
| Tom & Carolyn Ward
Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project