Transcribed from A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans, written and compiled by William E. Connelley, Secretary of the Kansas State Historical Society, Topeka. Chicago: Lewis Publishing Company, copyright 1918
EARL A. DAVIS, M. D. A native son of Kansas, who is assisting to maintain the prestige of his state in the field of medical achievement, Dr. Earl A. Davis has attained a position of distinction among the physicians and surgeons of Chanute, where he has been engaged in the practice of his calling since 1903. He is the son of a physician, Dr. J. Davis, and was born May 20, 1875, at Ottawa, Franklin County.
The family of which Doctor Davis is a member originated in Wales and came from that country to America during the colonial period, the first members taking up their residence in Pennsylvania. The doctor's grandfather was also a physician and surgeon and for many years practiced in Ohio, where his death occurred. Dr. J. Davis was born in Ohio in 1833, and was there reared and educated. After his preliminary training was completed he enrolled as a student in the Cleveland Medical College, from which he was graduated, and subsequently pursued a course at the Cincinnati Homeopathic College, from which he received his degree. He was married in Ohio and in 1868 came to Kansas, settling as a pioneer physician at Ottawa, where he has continued in practice during a period of nearly a half a century. Doctor Davis is one of the honored members of his profession in Franklin County and has a practice that extends over a wide area of country which has been attracted to him by his thorough knowledge, his technical skill and the natural kindness that goes so far in aiding a practitioner in his humane work. He belongs to the various organizations of the profession, and is a consistent member of the Presbyterian Church. His political support is given to the democratic party. Doctor Davis married Miss Alexina Williamson, who was born in 1840, in Ohio, and who still survives and resides at Ottawa. She belongs to the Society of Colonial Dames, Gen. Edward Hand being the ancestor through whose participation in the struggle of the colonies she derives her membership. A statue to the memory of General Hand, erected by the Daughters of the American Revolution, stands in the new building at Washington, District of Columbia. Mrs. Davis is active in the work and affairs of the Society of Colonial Dames, as she is also in the various movements of the Presbyterian Church, of which she has been a devout member all her life. To Doctor and Mrs. Davis there have been born the following children: Dr. H. W., who is engaged in the practice of dentistry at Salt Lake City, Utah; F. E., who is a postoffice inspector in the service of the United States Government, with headquarters at St. Louis, Missouri; J. D., a graduate of the Ohio Medical College, Cincinnati, Ohio, and now a practicing physician and surgeon of that city; Dr. J. B., also a graduate of that institution and engaged in practice with his father at Ottawa, Kansas; E. C., who is a merchant with an establishment at Williamsburg, Kansas; and Dr. Earl A.
The public schools of Ottawa furnished Earl A. Davis with his early education, and after he had attended the high school for several years he began to study medicine under the preceptorship of his father. The son and grandson of physicians, he took naturally and kindly to his calling, but did not enter actively upon its study as a collegian until he had completed a three-year literary course at Ottawa University. He then entered the Ohio Medical College, Cincinnati, where he was graduated with the class of 1902, receiving the degree of Doctor of Medicine. To further prepare himself, he spent the rest of 1902 and a part of 1903 as assistant house surgeon at the Kansas City General Hospital, and in the latter year came to Chanute. Here he has succeeded well, having built up a liberal and representative practice among the best families. He is not alone a skilled practitioner, but possesses those admirable traits of character which prove such a blessing in the sick room. He maintains offices at No. 114 1/2 East Main Street, while his home, which he owns, is at No. 112 South Highland Avenue. Doctor Davis is a democrat, but has not aspired to political office, his only public service having been in the line of his profession, consisting of two years spent in the capacity of health officer. He holds membership in the Neosho County Medical Society, the Kansas State Medical Society, the Southeastern Medical Society and the American Medical Association. He is likewise widely and favorably known in fraternal circles, being a member of Cedar Lodge No. 103, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons; Chanute Camp No. 852, Modern Woodmen of America; Chanute Lodge No. 96, Ancient Order of United Workmen; Chanute Council No. 420, Fraternal Aid Union; Chanute Lodge No. 806, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks; and Chanute Aerie No. 521, Fraternal Order of Eagles.
In 1904, at Chanute, Doctor Davis was married to Miss Ethel Southard, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Whig Southard, the latter of whom is deceased. Mr. Southard, who was a traveling salesman for many years, is now retired from business and makes his home with his son-in-law and daughter. Doctor and Mrs. Davis have no children.
Transcribed from volume 4, pages 2114-2115 of A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans, written and compiled by William E. Connelley, Secretary of the Kansas State Historical Society, Topeka. Chicago: Lewis Publishing Company, copyright 1918; originally transcribed October 1997, modified 2003 by Carolyn Ward.
| Tom & Carolyn Ward
Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project