Transcribed from A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans, written and compiled by William E. Connelley, Secretary of the Kansas State Historical Society, Topeka. Chicago: Lewis Publishing Company, copyright 1918


Coffeyville Public Library

THE COFFEYVILLE PUBLIC LIBRARY. Second to no city of its volume of population in education and culture, Coffeyville maintains a fine public library of 9,000 books affording enjoyment and instruction in almost every field that literature offers.

The Coffeyville Public Library was organized and established by the Women's Federated Clubs and was opened in April, 1912, with about 2,000 volumes. Its organization was made possible by a gift from Andrew Carnegie, the philanthropist. There are about 7,500 patrons, which is the average circulation, about one-half being of juvenile readers, an encouraging proportion and a larger per cent than libraries usually show. The library is situated on the corner of Eighth and Spruce streets, an attractive building of brick construction with Carthage stone trimmings.

Miss Myrtle Becker is the librarian and Mrs. Maud Dana, first assistant.


Transcribed from volume 4, page 1862 of A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans, written and compiled by William E. Connelley, Secretary of the Kansas State Historical Society, Topeka. Chicago: Lewis Publishing Company, copyright 1918; originally transcribed 1998, modified 2003 by Carolyn Ward.

Return to 1918 KS Table of Contents Return to 1918 KS Biography Index Return to 1918 KS Index Return to KSGenWeb Home Page Return to KSGenWeb Archives


Tom & Carolyn Ward
Columbus, KS
email image
tcward@columbus-ks.com

Background and KSGenWeb logo were designed and are copyrighted by
Tom & Carolyn Ward
for the limited use of the KSGenWeb Project.
Permission is granted for use only on an official KSGenWeb page.

©1998,2003 by Tom & Carolyn Ward
Return to the Blue Skyways Home Page
Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
including
The KSGenWeb Project
Return to KSGenWeb Home Page