Transcribed from A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans, written and compiled by William E. Connelley, Secretary of the Kansas State Historical Society, Topeka. Chicago: Lewis Publishing Company, copyright 1918
WILLIAM E. H. ANDERSON. The importance of the practical real estate man to any community is very well demonstrated in the recognition which he receives in his locality, a recognition which is based upon his activities in developing his city and county and of interesting outside capital in its realty. While, unfortunately, there are some who take an unfair advantage of their position, the men who really succeed are those whose advice and recommendations can be depended upon by investors. Cherryvale is one of the communities which has been largely built up by this class of men, among whom, in a prominent position, stands William E. H. Anderson, who has occupied a leading place in real estate and insurance circles here since his advent in 1895.
Mr. Anderson was born at Danville, the county seat of Vermilion County, Illinois, June 1, 1861, and is a son of John F. and Ordella (Fairchilds) Anderson. The branch of the Anderson family to which he belongs originated in Ireland, and the first emigrant to America was his great-grandfather. His grandfather was William Anderson, who was born in 1795 and who became a pioneer into Vermilion County, Illinois, where he located during Indian days and experienced all the dangers and hardships incident to the life of the intrepid settlers opening up a new country and paving the way for civilization. Mr. Anderson was possessed of courage, industry and perseverance, and reclaimed a property from the wilderness, developed a good farm and accumulated a satisfying competence. He passed his life in that community and there his death occurred about the time of the close of the Civil war. He was first a whig in politics and later a republican, and while not an office seeker or politician, wielded some influence in his community. He was the father of the following children: Lizzie, of Danville, Illinois, the widow of Mr. Martin who was engaged in farming for many years in Vermilion County; Kate, also of Danville, who is the wife of Mr. Hoover; Jennie, who is the wife of Simon Lanham, a farmer near Oklahoma City, Oklahoma; Lou, who is married and resides at Wichita, Kansas; Frank, who was a farmer in South Dakota when last heard from; and John F.
John F. Anderson was born in 1830, in Indiana, and was a lad when he accompanied his parents to Vermilion County, Illinois. His education was secured in the primitive subscription schools of the then sparsely settled community and his boyhood and youth were replete with exciting experiences. In the rugged life of the frontier he learned the value of hard work and honesty and, being a natural mechanic, learned the trade of cabinet maker, which he followed for some years in his younger life. Later, however, he turned his attention to farming, and this remained to be his vocation until his early death, which occurred in Vermilion County, June 3, 1865. He had inherited his father's traits of industry and perseverance and would, no doubt, have made a success of life had he been spared. Like his father, also, he was a republican, but public life held out no attractions to him. Mr. Anderson married Miss Ordella Fairchilds, who was born in 1832, in Vermilion County, Illinois, and she still survives, in good health and spirits, at the advanced age of eighty-four years, her home being at Cherryvale. To Mr. and Mrs. Anderson there were born the following children: two sons who died in infancy; Charles M., who passed his life in agricultural pursuits and died in Indiana; William E. H., of this review; Wesley E., who resides at Danville, where he is engaged in mechanical work as an electrician; John F., who is a general workman and lives at Ambia, Indiana; and Russell H. Lindsey, who resides at Louisville, Kentucky, where he holds a professorship in the Spencerian Business College.
William E. H. Anderson attended the district schools of his native county and his earliest work was found in the fields of the neighboring farmers, on which he was employed during the summer months. He was eighteen years of age when he left school to devote his entire attention to farming, and this he followed in Illinois, both as employe and owner of farms until 1899, in January of which year he came to Cherryvale and established himself in the real estate and insurance business. His enterprise was started in a modest way, but his ability and energy, combined with an inherent initiative carried him safely through the first lean years, and he soon found himself at the head of a paying business. As the years have passed it has extended its scope and what was first strictly a venture confining its activities to Cherryvale is now one which covers the whole surrounding territory and extends to other counties and into other states. Mr. Anderson maintains offices in the McCormick Building, at the corner of West Main and Neosho streets, sometimes known as the Globe Building. In addition to handling real estate of all kinds, both as owner and agent, he represents several old line fire and life insurance companies and has built up a large and lucrative business in this direction. He has been the medium through which some large and important transactions have been consummated, and has been a factor in influencing outside capital to invest in Cherryvale realty and institutions. He is a republican in politics, like his forebears, and for eight years served in the capacity of justice of the peace. He belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he has been steward and treasurer of the board of trustees for seven years.
Mr. Anderson was married in May, 1912, at Kansas City, Kansas, to Miss Effie Lukindill, daughter of T. H. and Mary Lukindill, the latter of whom is a resident of Cherryvale. Mr. Lukindill, who was the proprietor of a painting and paperhanging business at Cherryvale for some years, is now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson are the parents of one daughter: Jewell Lucile, who was born at Cherryvale, August 29, 1915.
Transcribed from volume 4, pages 2068-2069 of A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans, written and compiled by William E. Connelley, Secretary of the Kansas State Historical Society, Topeka. Chicago: Lewis Publishing Company, copyright 1918; originally transcribed 1998, modified 2003 by Carolyn Ward.
| Tom & Carolyn Ward
Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project