Waldo Worster, deputy United States marshal at Fort Scott, Kan., was born near Brattlesboro, N. H., Oct. 21, 1849. His parents were Selim and Lucy (Ripley) Worster, both of whom were born in New Hampshire, received the educational advantages afforded by the public schools of that state and there they were married. In 1851, with three children they came to Dubuque, Iowa, by railroad, and then drove to a place near Anamosa, Jones county, in the same state. Mr. Worster had a grant of forty acres of land there which he had received from his father. He bought 160 acres in addition, built a house, broke the land, and made all the improvements, such as building fences and erecting barns. He and his wife lived in the same place fifty-six years. Mr. Worster died Jan. 14, 1907, and his wife passed away Sept. 13, 1909. They had eleven children, ten of whom are living, and Waldo is the third child. He was educated in the log school house which was maintained by the subscriptions of the parents of the children who attended. The primitive log structure had no floors, only slab benches for the children to sit upon, and rude slabs for desks, but the children were well trained in the "three R's," and most of them have become prominent and successful men of affairs. Mr. Worster recalls that there was but one house between his home and Anamosa, a distance of seven miles; the wolves were thick and often howled around the pioneer homestead. He remained at home, but began to work at the age of thirteen years. When he was twenty-one he rented a farm and married Lillian Borewitz, a daughter of Hon. P. G. Borewitz, a farmer and member of the Iowa legislature. She died the next year and, in 1872, Mr. Worster married Mary Green, a native of Illinois, who was reared in Iowa. She passed away, Jan. 5, 1910. In 1874, accompanied by his wife and infant son, Mr. Worster drove to western Iowa, in a covered wagon, and located near Anamosa, where he bought forty acres of wild land. He grubbed out a part of the stumps on his farm, and then sold it and came to Kansas. It was in the spring of 1876 when he left Iowa, with a team of horses and covered wagon. The trip was long and tedious and he and his family were glad to arrive at the farm owned by Mr. Worster's brother, on Dry creek, in Lyon county. The family remained there for a year and a half and then bought eighty acres of prairie land, eight miles east of Emporia. Mr. Worster's capital at that time consisted of a team of horses and $20 in money. He at once built a house and fenced and improved the land. During the winters he and a neighbor used to drive ten miles and dig coal, which they sold. In 1884 he was appointed deputy sheriff of Lyon county and moved to Emporia, and two years later he sold his farm. In 1886 he was elected sheriff of the county on the Republican ticket, was reëlected in 1888, and served until 1891. He then engaged in the livery business, in Emporia, and followed it for about three years, building up a satisfactory and lucrative trade. He finally disposed of his interests in Emporia and bought a ranch of about 1,000 acres in Chase county and became a stock raiser and dealer. In 1904 he was appointed deputy United States marshal, under William H. Mackey, Jr., and has served to the present time. Mr. Worster moved to Fort Scott soon after he sold out at Emporia. While in Lyon county he was township trustee, treasurer of the school board, and township assessor. He has served as president of the Sheriffs' Association of Kansas, is a member of the Masonic order, being a Knight Templar and a member of the Mystic Shrine belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias, Ancient Order of United Workmen, the Triple Tie, and the Eastern Star. Three children were born to Mr. Worster and his second wifetwins, who died in infancy, and Selim, who was a successful dentist in New York city, where he died Jan. 3, 1912, at the age of thirty-three. He was married and had one daughter, Velma. His remains were taken to Fort Scott for burial. On May 22, 1911, Waldo Worster married Mrs. Jamie Bishop, a native of Charlottesville, Va., who for a number of years had been a resident of Kansas City, Mo.Pages 371-372 from volume III, part 1 of Kansas: a cyclopedia of state history, embracing events, institutions, industries, counties, cities, towns, prominent persons, etc. ... / with a supplementary volume devoted to selected personal history and reminiscence. Standard Pub. Co. Chicago : 1912. 3 v. in 4. : front., ill., ports.; 28 cm. Vols. I-II edited by Frank W. Blackmar. Transcribed December 2002 by Carolyn Ward. This volume is identified at the Kansas State Historical Society as microfilm LM195. It is a two-part volume 3.
TITLE PAGE / LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS
A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I
TITLE PAGE / LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS
J | K | L | Mc | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | Y | Z
Background and KSGenWeb logo were designed and are copyrighted by
Tom & Carolyn Ward
for the limited use of the KSGenWeb Project.
Permission is granted for use only on an official KSGenWeb page.
Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project