Medical Colleges.A preparatory medical course was incorporated in the curriculum of the state university in 1880, but the first regularly established medical college in the state was the Kansas Medical College of Topeka, which filed articles of association and incorporation in the office of the secretary of state on July 3, 1889. Among the 21 incorporators were Albert H. Horton, John Martin, Thomas A. Osborn, George W. Veale and some of the leading physicians of the state. The capital stock was fixed at $100,000; John Martin was elected president of the board of trustees; Thomas A. Osborn, vice-president; Dr. M. B. Ward, secretary, and J. S. Collins, treasurer. The college opened on Sept. 23, 1890, in a building located at the corner of Twelfth and Tyler streets, with a faculty of 24 members. At the time the college was established there was no provision of law furnishing subjects for the dissecting room, and in 1895 the robbery of a number of graves in adjacent cemeteries created a great excitement and led Gov. Morrill to call out the militia. (See Morrill's Administration.) In 1903 the college became the medical department of Washburn College, and the old building at Twelfth and Tyler streets was torn down. In the college year 1909-10 there were 68 students enrolled in the department, 13 of whom graduated at the close of the year.
The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Kansas City was given a charter by the State of Kansas on July 12, 1894, with the following physicians as a board of trustees: J. W. May, president; William C. Boteler, first vice-president; J. C. Martin, second vice-president; E. M. Hetherington, secretary; R. A. Roberts, financial secretary; John Troutman, treasurer, all of Kansas City, Kan. The college opened that fall at the corner of Fifth and Central streets in the Chamber of Commerce building, with a faculty of 31 members. In 1897 it was removed to the corner of Sixth street and Ann avenue, and in 1903 to the corner of Central and Simpson avenues. When the clinical department of the University of Kansas medical school was reorganized in 1905 it absorbed the College of Physicians and Surgeons.
Two medical colleges were opened in Kansas City in the fall of 1897the Kansas City Medical College and the Kansas City College of Medicine and Surgery. The former began operations on Sept. 14, with the following board of trustees: George W. Fitzpatrick, president; Warren L. Seaman, vice-president; J. A. Smith, secretary; G. E. Tead, treasurer, and P. S. Mitchell. It was located at the corner of Sixth street and Minnesota avenue. The College of Medicine and Surgery was located in the New York Life building and opened its doors on Sept. 22, with a faculty of 29 members. The board of trustees was composed of S. A. Dunham, president; George M. Gray, vice-president; James L. Harrington, secretary; Ernest J. Lutz, treasurer; John B. Scroggs, M. B. Ward, G. O. Coffin, H. M. Downs, A. J. Welch, P. L. McDonald and R. E. Morris. Like the College of Physicians and Surgeons, these two institutions were merged into the medical department of the University of Kansas in 1905. (See University of Kansas.)Page 260 from volume II of Kansas: a cyclopedia of state history, embracing events, institutions, industries, counties, cities, towns, prominent persons, etc. ... / with a supplementary volume devoted to selected personal history and reminiscence. Standard Pub. Co. Chicago : 1912. 3 v. in 4. : front., ill., ports.; 28 cm. Vols. I-II edited by Frank W. Blackmar. Transcribed July 2002 by Carolyn Ward.
TITLE PAGE / LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS
A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I
TITLE PAGE / LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS
J | K | L | Mc | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
Background and KSGenWeb logo were designed and are copyrighted by
Tom & Carolyn Ward
for the limited use of the KSGenWeb Project.
Permission is granted for use only on an official KSGenWeb page.
Home Page for Kansas
Search all of Blue Skyways
The KSGenWeb Project