County Seat: Liberal
· 22,510 (2000)
· 18,743 (1990)
· 822 (1900)
Area: 640 Square Miles
Standard Abbreviation: SW
|Organized in January 17, 1886. County seat, Liberal.
In honor of Wm. H. Seward, Governor and United States
Senator of New York, and Secretary of State under
Map and text from History of Kansas,
Noble Prentis, (Winfield: E.P. Greer. 1899)
William Seward was a Senator from New York who fought for
Kansas entrance into the Union as a free state. Later as
U. S. Secretary of State he negotiated the purchase of
"Seward's Folly", Alaska, from Russia.
The Special Collections of the Ablah Library at WSU contain historical images of
There is a section on Seward County in the book
Kansas: a Cyclopedia Of State History
by Frank Blackmar (1912).
The Kansas State Historical Society also has
for Seward County online including a rich bibliography and
lists of cemeteries, post offices, and newspapers.
Cities, Towns, & Villages of Seward County
Year Elev Population Name ZIP
==== ==== ========== ================ =====
1888 2620 Arkalon
1885 0 Fargo Springs
2775 484 Kismet 67859
1888 2836 19,666 Liberal 67901,67905
1885 0 Springfield
Census Bureau Profile & Map
Special Places in Seward County
- Mighty Samson is a huge railway
bridge over the Cimarron river. It is 1200 feet long and up to 100 feet
high, making it one of the largest railway bridges anywhere.
- The Landmark Center in downtown Liberal used to be the Warren Hotel.
It is now a beautifully restored office/appartment complex. The "art-deco"
features of the exterior and the lobby are well worth a side trip.
- The old Rock Island Depot in downtown Liberal has been restored.
Special Events in Seward County
- Liberal is famous for its annual Shrove Tuesday "International
Pancake Race" competition with
Ladies race through the streets while flipping a pancake in a skillet. They have been doing this
Seward County School Systems
Colleges & Universities
- The Baker Arts Center (620) 624-2810
624 N. Pershing / Liberal, KS
- The Coronado Museum (620) 624-7624
567 E. Cedar / Liberal, KS 67901 67901
- Dorothy's House (620) 624-7624
567 Yellow Brick Road / Liberal, KS 67901
- Mid-America Air Museum (620) 624-5263
2000 West 2nd / Liberal, KS 67901
Seward County Newspapers
- Southwest Daily Times (620) 624-2541
16 S. Kansas / P. O. Box 889 / Liberal KS 67905
- The Liberal Light (620) 626-4614 FAX: (620) 626-4722
12 W. 2nd Street / Liberal, KS 67901
More Data About Seward County
- Kansas County Profile Reports
Statistical data from The Institute for Policy and Social Research, the University of Kansas
- Fitzgerald, Daniel Ghost Towns of Kansas -- A Traveler's Guide
( University Press of Kansas. 1988)
- WPA The WPA Guide to 1930s Kansas
( Lawrence: University Press of Kansas. 1984 )
Seward County Offices
For more about Seward County contact:
- Liberal Convention and Tourism Board (620) 626-0170
P. O. Box 2257 / Liberal, KS 67901
Last updated on
November 29, 2009
A service of the Kansas State Library
Graphics by John Howell,
photos by Susan Howell,
used by permission.