County Seat: Belleville
· 5,835 (2000)
· 6,482 (1990)
· 18,248 (1900)
Area: 719 Square Miles
Standard Abbreviation: RP
Republic County Courthouse
|Organized in 1868.
County seat Belleville.
Received its name from the Republican river,
which extends through the county. The river
was so called because many years ago the valley
of that stream was the seat of the "Pawnee
Republic," a designation given to a principal
division of the Pawnee Indians, or Panis,
as they were originally known.
Map and text from History of Kansas,
Noble Prentis, (Winfield: E.P. Greer. 1899)
Many of the early settlers in Republic County were from Scandinavia or Czechoslovakia.
Cuba was named for Kuba, a city in Bohemia. Scandia was settled by Swedes,
and Norway by Norwegians.
The modernistic courthouse was completed in 1940.
The Special Collections of the Ablah Library at WSU contain historical images of
William G. Cutler's History of Kansas
, first published in 1883, tells about early Republic County
The Kansas State Historical Society also has
for Republic County online including a rich bibliography and
lists of cemeteries, post offices, and newspapers.
Cities, Towns, & Villages of Republic County
Town Population ZIP Year Elevation
============= ========== ===== ==== =========
Agenda 81 66930 1878 1410
Belleville 2,239 66935 1869 1550
Courtland 334 66939 1499
Cuba 231 66940 1878 1590
Munden 122 66959 1878 1630
Narka 93 66960 1887 1585
Norway 66961 1410
Republic 161 66964 1500
Scandia 436 66966 1868 1450
White Rock 1522
Census Bureau Profile & Map
Special Places in Republic County
- There's a Kansas Information Center on US 81 at Belleville.
- The Belleville High Banks race track has a stone grandstand.
- The Pawnee Indian Village Museum State Historic Site is eight miles north of US 36 on K-266.
- The Depot Market is in an old train depot north of Courtland on US 36.
- Paul Boyer at the Boyer Gallery in Belleville has been "creating animated carvings, motion displays and mechanical marvels" for over 25 years.
Special Events in Republic County
Republic County School Systems
- USD 426 Pike Valley
(785) 335-2206 Scandia
- USD 427 Belleville (785) 527-5621 Belleville
- USD 455 Hillcrest Schools (785) 729-3816 Cuba
- Belleville Telescope (785) 527-2244
1817 E. US 81, Belleville, KS 66935
- Courtland Journal-Empire (785) 374-4428
- Scandia Journal (785) 335-2242
Scandia, KS 66966
More Data About Republic County
- Kansas County Profile Reports
Statistical data from The Institute for Policy and Social Research, the University of Kansas
Republic County Offices
For more about Republic County contact:
Last updated on
June 26, 2012
A service of the Kansas State Library
Graphics by John Howell,
photos by Susan Howell,
used by permission.