County Seat: Lyons
· 10,761 (2000)
· 11,900 (1990)
· 14,745 (1900)
Area: 728 Square Miles
Standard Abbreviation: RC
Rice County Courthouse
Named in memory of Samuel A. Rice,
Brigadier-General, United States volunteers,
killed April 30, 1864 at Jenkins Ferry, Ark.
Map and text from History of Kansas,
Noble Prentis, (Winfield: E.P. Greer. 1899)
William G. Cutler's History of Kansas
, first published in 1883, tells about early Rice County
There is a section on Rice County in the book
Kansas: a Cyclopedia Of State History
by Frank Blackmar (1912).
The Special Collections of the Ablah Library at WSU contain historical images of
The Kansas State Historical Society also has
for Rice County online including a rich bibliography and
lists of cemeteries, post offices, and newspapers.
Cities, Towns, & Villages of Rice County
Year Elev Population Name ZIP
==== ==== ========== ================ =====
1872 1680 168 Alden 67512
1765 314 Bushton 67427
1718 490 Chase 67524
1878 1762 11 Frederick
1886 1750 272 Geneseo 67444
1590 536 Little River 67457
1876 1700 3,732 Lyons 67554
1872 1726 95 Raymond 67573
1640 2,642 Sterling 67579
Census Bureau Profile & Map
Special Places in Rice County
- The Santa Fe Trail ran east/west across the county following
the route of US-56; the ruts can still be seen at various places.
Nine of the red stone DAR markers are in Rice County.
- Beside US-56, there is a huge cross and a
in honor of Father Juan Padilla who first came to Kansas with
Coronado in 1542 and was later killed by Indians.
- The courthouse on the square in Lyons shows the pride and optimism that
went into the development of the area.
- Alden, located just north of the Arkansas River, is proud of its 1884 depot and
of its turn-of-the-century township hall.
Rice County School Systems
- Bushton Museum (620) 562-3411
218 S. Main / Bushton, KS, 67427
- Geneseo City History Museum (620) 824-6250
708 10th / Geneseo, Kansas 67444
- Coronado-Quivira Museum (620) 257-3941
105 West Lyon / Lyons, KS 67554
Tues-Sat 9:00-5:00 & Closed Sun, Mon and major holidays
- The Monitor-Journal (620) 897-6234
240 Main / Little River, KS 67457
- Lyons Daily News (620) 257-2368
210 W. Commercial / Lyons, KS 67554
- Sterling Bulletin (620) 278-2114
209 S. Broadway / Sterling, KS 67579
More Data About Rice County
- Jones, Horace. Up from the Sod (Lyons: Coronado Publishers. 1968)
Rice County Government
For More Information
Last updated on
November 29, 2009
A service of the Kansas State Library
Graphics by John Howell,
photos by Susan Howell,
used by permission.