Rawlins County Courthouse
County Seat: Atwood
· 2,966 (2000)
· 3,404 (1990)
· 5,241 (1900)
Area: 1069 Square Miles
Standard Abbreviation: RA
Organized in 1881.
County seat Atwood.
Named in memory of Gen. John A. Rawlins,
who was a staff officer of General Grant,
and went into his cabinet, when elected
President, as Secretary of War.
Map and text from History of Kansas,
Noble Prentis, (Winfield: E.P. Greer. 1899)
General John A. Rawlins also served as Secretary of War
in the Grant administration.
William G. Cutler's History of Kansas
first published in 1883, tells about
early Rawlins County
The Special Collections of the Ablah Library at WSU contain historical images of
The Kansas State Historical Society also has
for Rawlins County online including a rich bibliography and
lists of cemeteries, post offices, and newspapers.
Cities, Towns, & Villages of Rawlins County
Year Elev Population Name ZIP
==== ==== ========== ================ =====
1875 2850 1,279 Atwood 67730
3195 Beardsley 67730
1886 2666 149 Herndon 67739
1872 2780 Ludell 67744
1888 3360 159 McDonald 67745
1775 Salem 67156
Special Places in Rawlins County
- Lake Atwood has a wonderful cottonwood shade lane running all the way around it.
- The Jayhawk theater at 410 Main in Atwood is used for plays, presentations, and films.
- Ludell has a nice old stone school building and a 1920 bank building that's still in use.
- Herndon has a beautiful church.
Rawlins County School Systems
- Rawlins County Museum (785) 626-3885
308 State / Atwood, KS 67730
Special Events in Rawlins County
- The Rawlins County Fair is held in Atwood in July.
- Atwood hosts the annual Beaver Creek Festival in October featuring crafts, games, and Bluegrass music.
- Every May, there is a Rod Run in Atwood.
More Data About Rawlins County
- Kansas County Profile Reports
Statistical data from The Institute for Policy and Social Research, the University of Kansas
- Dickensen, James R. Home on the Range
(New York: Scribner. 1995)
- Fitzgerald, Daniel Faded Dreams : More Ghost Towns of Kansas
(University Press of Kansas. 1994)
Rawlins County Offices
For more about Rawlins County contact:
- Atwood Chamber of Commerce (785) 626-9630
416 Main Street / Atwood, KS 67730
Last updated on
November 29, 2009
A service of the Kansas State Library
Graphics by John Howell,
photos by Susan Howell,
used by permission.