Phillips County Courthouse
County Seat: Phillipsburg
· 6,001 (2000)
· 6,590 (1990)
· 14,442 (1900)
Area: 887 Square Miles
Standard Abbreviation: PL
Organized in 1872.
County seat, Phillipsburg.
Named in memory of William Phillips, a Free-State martyr,
murdered September 1, 1856, in Leavenworth.
Map and text from History of Kansas,
Noble Prentis, (Winfield: E.P. Greer. 1899)
William G. Cutler's History of Kansas
first published in 1883, tells about
There is a section on Phillips County in the book
Kansas: a Cyclopedia Of State History
The Special Collections of the Ablah Library at WSU contain historical images of
The Kansas State Historical Society also has
for Phillips County online including a rich bibliography and
lists of cemeteries, post offices, and newspapers.
Cities, Towns, & Villages of Phillips County
Year Elev Population Name ZIP
==== ==== ========== ================ =====
1851 306 Agra 67621
1811 114 Glade 67639
1696 229 Kirwin 67644
1872 1970 603 Logan 67646
1871 2071 155 Long Island 67647
1872 1951 2,668 Phillipsburg 67661
2200 141 Prairie View 67664
1895 1900 44 Speed
1986 Stuttgart 67670
Census Bureau Profile & Map
Special Places in Phillips County
- Old Fort Bissell, located in a Phillipsburg park, offers a visit to a frontier community.
- The Kirwin National Wildlife Refuge and the Kirwin Lake make the area around Phillipsburg famous for its goose hunting and bird watching.
- The limestone Logan Episcopal Church at 210 Washington was built in 1890. (689-4846)
Special Events in Phillips County
- Phillipsburg celebrates its "Riverless" festival the first weekend
- The Phillips County Fair is held the first weekend in August.
"Kansas' Biggest Rodeo" is held in conjunction with the fair.
- Logan has an annual arts and crafts fair on the third Saturday in
September on the grounds of the amazing Dane G. Hansen Museum. Logan also
celebrates Labor Day in a big way.
Phillips County School Systems
- USD 212 Northern Valley (785) 669-2445 Long Island & Almena
- USD 324 Eastern Heights (785) 638-2244 Agra
- USD 325 Phillipsburg (785) 543-5281 Phillipsburg
- USD 326 Logan (785) 689-7595 Logan
- Phillips County Hospital (785) 543-5226
Hwy 36 / Phillipsburg, KS 67661
- Dane G. Hansen Museum (785) 689-4846
Logan, KS 67646
- Old Fort Bissell Museum (785) 543-6212
City Park / Phillipsburg, KS 67661
Sod house, log house, schoolhouse, & depot
- Logan Republican (785) 689-4339
101 E. Main / Logan, KS 67646
- Phillips County Review (785) 543-5242
683 Third Street / Phillipsburg, KS 67661
More Data About Phillips County
- Kansas County Profile Reports
Statistical data from The Institute for Policy and Social Research, the University of Kansas
- WPA. The WPA Guide to 1930s Kansas
(Lawrence: University Press of Kansas, reprint 1984)
See tour 1, page 320
Phillips County Offices
Phillips County CVB
270 State Street / Phillipsburg, KS 67661
Last updated on
November 29, 2009
A service of the Kansas State Library
Graphics by John Howell,
photos by Susan Howell,
used by permission.