To SVHA

Osborne County Historical Marker

Founding of Alton

To Osborne County
Historical Marker in Alton
THE FOUNDING OF ALTON, KANSAS
 
IN THE FALL OF 1870 TWO MEN, HIRAM C. BULL AND LYMAN T. EARL, CAME TO THIS PLACE AND LAID OUT THE FIRST TOWNSITE IN OSBORNE COUNTY. A NICKEL WAS TOSSED AND THE NEW TOWN WAS NAMED BULL CITY INSTEAD OF EARLSVILLE. IN MAY 1871 THE BULL CITY POST OFFICE OPENED IN BULL'S GENERAL STORE. THE TRAGIC KILLING OF BULL, THEN A STATE REPRESENTATIVE, AND TWO OTHER MEN BY BULL'S PET ELK IN OCTOBER 1879 CAUSED NATIONAL HEADLINES AND FOREVER CHANGED THE COURSE OF THE TOWN'S HISTORY. A PETITION IN FEBRUARY 1885 TO CHANGE THE POST OFFICE NAME TO ALTON (AFTER ALTON, ILLINOIS) WAS GRANTED. ON OCTOBER 1, 1885, ALTON WAS INCORPORATED AS A THIRD-CLASS CITY.
 
ERECTED 2001 BY OSBORNE COUNTY TOURISM, INC. FUNDING PROVIDED BY OSBORNE COUNTY TRANSIENT GUEST TAX BOARD AND THE KANSAS DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE & HOUSING
 
 
Osborne County small diamond Osborne County Historical Markers small diamond Kansas History

February 5, 2002 / John & Susan Howell / Wichita, Kansas / howell@kotn.org

Blue Skyways Visit the Home Page for Kansas
A service of the Kansas State Library
  Kansas on the Net