County Seat: Osborne
· 4,452 (2000)
· 4,867 (1990)
· 11,844 (1900)
Area: 882 Square Miles
Standard Abbreviation: OB
Osborne County Courthouse
Organized in 1871. County Seat Osborne. Named in honor of Vincent B. Osborne,
Private of Company A, Second Kansas Cavalry, who lost his right leg January
17, 1865, on the steamer Anna Jacobs on the Arkansas River.
Map and text from History of Kansas
Noble Prentis, (Winfield: E.P. Greer. 1899)
Historical Markers in Osborne County
William G. Cutler's History of Kansas
, first published in 1883, tells about early Osborne County
The Special Collections of the Ablah Library at WSU contain historical images of Osborne County towns:
The Kansas State Historical Society has
for Osborne County online including a rich bibliography and lists of
cemeteries, post offices, and newspapers.
Burial Records for Rural Cemeteries
Cities, Towns, & Villages of Osborne County
Year Elev Population Name ZIP
==== ==== ========== ================ =====
1870 1652 117 Alton 67623
1836 Cheyenne Gap
1484 1,038 Downs 67437
1834 367 Natoma 67651
1871 1554 1,607 Osborne 67473
1542 123 Portis 67474
U.S. Census Bureau Quick Facts about Osborne County
Special Places in Osborne County
Osborne County is one of six counties in the Solomon Valley Highway 24 Heritage Alliance.
The alliance is recording the history of the valley, showing visitors how to find interesting places between Hoxie in the west and Glasco in the east.
- The Osborne County Historical Museum is housed in an old depot and an old school on the north edge of town.
- Osborne has built a new city library, but the 1912 Carnegie library still stands; it's on the national registry of historic places,
- The county courthouse in Osborne, built in 1908, is unbelievably ornate. Plan to spend some time studying the carvings.
- A marker in the roadside park at the intersection of highways 24 & 281 describes the geodetic center of the US which is in rural Osborne county.
Special Events in Osborne County
- Osborne's Fall Festival is the second weekend in September. Activities range from a black powder shoot and a golf tournament to an art show.
- Osborne's Arts & Craft Fair in always held the second Saturday in November.
- Osborne County Fair is the first week of August each year.
- Kansas Storytelling Festival is in Downs.
Osborne County Libraries
- Osborne County Historical Museum (785) 346-2626 or 346-2418
At the junction of US-24 & US-281
Osborne County School Systems
- Downs News and Times (785) 454-3514
717 Railroad St., Downs, KS 67437
- Osborne County Farmer (785) 346-5424
210 W. Main / P. O. Box 130, Osborne, KS 67473
More Data About Osborne County
- Kansas County Profile Reports
Statistical data from The Institute for Policy and Social Research, the University of Kansas
Osborne County Offices
For more about Osborne County contact:
Last updated on
August 17, 2012
A service of the Kansas State Library
Graphics by John Howell,
photos by Susan Howell,
used by permission.