History of Skellyville
From 1934 to 1958 an area two miles northwest of
Cunningham was known as Skellyville. Oil and gas
wells were discovered on "Poverty Ridge" in 1931.
Skelly Oil Company erected a gasoline plant the
latter part of 1933. Actual processing operations
began in April 1934. This was during the Depression
and a lifesaver for the Cunningham community.
Offices for the production and pipeline
departments of Skelly Oil were also a part of the area.
During the construction period, a restaurant flourished
in the settlement. About thirty men were
employed at the plant during peak operation.
Over twenty homes were located in Skellyville.
Some were company owned and others were owned
privately. Included in the area was the large farm
home of Frank Miles. Skellyville was built on land
leased from him.
In May 1958, the gasoline plant closed. Depletion
of the gas supply in the wells caused the closing.
Four men, Ray Amick, Guy Remy, Jake Kees, and
Glen Pearson worked during the full time the plant
was in operation. After the closing, Ray Amick
remained as sole employee for a short time, as
security guard. The homes were removed and the
The production department is still in operation
This department takes care of the company owned
oil wells. Thirty were employed by this department;
now there are only thirteen. An office is maintained
in the Skellyville area, but it is no longer Skelly,
Getty Oil Co. bought Skelly Oil Company in 1977.
All former Skelly employees are now Getty employees.
Jim Parkhurst heads the Getty production
department in the area.
The third department of the operation, the pipe-line
department, is still operating on a limited basis.
Ivan Cain is in charge. The department is operated
from the refinery in El Dorado.
The name of Skelly Oil Co. is nearly a thing of the
past. When Getty Oil took over, gradually the name
of each operation was changed. Now Texaco Oil is
in the process of purchasing Getty Oil and all will
change again. The name Skelly still exists in the
name of Skellytown, Texas, and the Skelly Building
in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
Kingman County, Kansas, And Its People.
(Kingman: Kingman County Historical Society. 1984)
Used by permission
Visit the Home Page for Kansas
A service of the Kansas State Library
© Copyright 2001
John & Susan Howell