Kingman County, KS.

 History  of  Nashville


Nashville
 
      Nashville orginated in 1885 and was so named, because some settlers came from Nashville, Tennessee. In the late 1870's, there was hardly anyone living in the area. The good grassland, between Sand Creek and the Chikaskia River, was used by a few ranches. Cattle herds grazed together, since fences were unlawful on public land. Stage line tracks on the trail are still visible in the pastures in the vicinity of Nashville. Until the farm land was occupied and fenced, there were few if any roads.
      With the building of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad through Nashville, it developed into a thriving community. Pens by the railroad tracks were used for loading, unloading and selling cattle and wild horses. Other early businesses included: Frank Krengel's Livery and Feed Barn; Kennedy's Grocery, which also served as a bank until 1907 and provided a corner for the post office; State Bank operated by Halls, Hemphill and Mrs. Phiel; Figge-Bennett General Store; Stewart-Larabee Hardware; McNabb Barber Ship, Johnson's Store; Clyde Waiter's Gazette; Twyman-Gray Store; J.J. Lawrence Real Estate; Louthan Blacksmith Shop; hotel; Townsend Restaurant; Elliott Brothers Dry Goods; J.B. Hewitt, builder, Ben Hudson Oakland Dealership; electric plant, which operated from sundown to ten o'clock; Larabee Model-T Agency; telephone system built by Everett Dafforn; produce and cream station; and Larabee Dodge Agency.
      Dr. J.B. Morton practiced from 1909 to 1933. He built a small hospital in 1926. Dr. D.C. McCarty took over Dr. Morton's practice. He was followed by Dr. T.L. Waylan and his wife, Frances, a registered nurse, who diligently cared for patients until 1981, when they retired. The hospital closed a few years earlier.
      Many of the settlers, of German descent, had relocated on the Kansas prairie, seeking new homes, farm land, and a place to worship. They worshipped in a schoolhouse, until the first Lutheran Church was erected. Those in and around Nashville were part of the Missouri Lutheran Synod. Their early church was replaced by a larger structure, which is still used. The Methodist Sunday School was organized in 1889 and met in a schoolhouse until 1912, when their church was built. Also in 1889, the Presbyterian worshippers organized, and likewise used a schoolhouse for worship services. In 1907, their church edifice was completed and dedicated. The Methodist and Presbyterian congregations merged in 1957, using the Presbyterian Church.
      In 1984, Nashville has a post office; elevator; general store; gas-repair-service-garage; Joe Strong Insurance and Real Estate Agency; Lutheran and Presbyterian churches and a grade school. The population is 143.
 
__Some information furnished by George Krengle and A. Ricker

Adapted from:
Kingman County, Kansas, And Its People.
(Kingman: Kingman County Historical Society. 1984)
Used by permission
 
Explore Nashville & Kingman County
 
September 2, 2001 / John & Susan Howell / Wichita, Kansas / howell@kotn.org

Blue Skyways Visit the Home Page for Kansas
  A service of the Kansas State Library
Kansas on the Net